2024 ATP General News

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I am certain he will pick a new coach, I mean he has big points to defend, including RG title in the clay season.Novak still has his trainer and physio to yell at, if he decides not to get a new coach immediately
But who? Seriously? Does he go back to Becker or Vajda? Agassi is done with him. It's the clay season. Piatti's too old. And I don't think Federer would be interested, though he's the best idea.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
But who? Seriously? Does he go back to Becker or Vajda? Agassi is done with him. It's the clay season. Piatti's too old. And I don't think Federer would be interested, though he's the best idea.
I cannot see Federer and Novak as a good mix? I first stated Vajda and Becker can share going on the tour,

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I cannot see Federer and Novak as a good mix? I first stated Vajda and Becker can share going on the tour,
Federer was a joke. To me, Djokovic fires his team, then goes back to Vajda. Where else?

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Federer was a joke. To me, Djokovic fires his team, then goes back to Vajda. Where else?
Novak firing his team is not new, he has already got rid of his 2 PR,
Vajda to me is the logical choice if Vajda wants to coach him again

Reactions: Moxie

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I find it weird that Novak and Goran are not working together. They won a lot together. Some strange things happening around Novak this year.

He was not playing his best in AO, claims he had no good preparation for the new season. Then he came to sunshine double (and cancelled Miami) only to enjoy life, watch basketball, spend time on a beach in Miami, etc. Now he sacked Goran. Obviously he is tired mentally from the last year, but why sack a coach?

I'm sure he can do without the coach for some time, but I wonder how commited he will be. Next slams and OG are not that far away.

Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I find it weird that Novak and Goran are not working together. They won a lot together. Some strange things happening around Novak this year.

He was not playing his best in AO, claims he had no good preparation for the new season. Then he came to sunshine double (and cancelled Miami) only to enjoy life, watch basketball, spend time on a beach in Miami, etc. Now he sacked Goran. Obviously he is tired mentally from the last year, but why sack a coach?

I'm sure he can do without the coach for some time, but I wonder how commited he will be. Next slams and OG are not that far away.
I heard rumors there was a 'bust up' with Goran at IW? not sure if that is 100%, yes it came out of the blue they are not together, maybe Novak needs time by himself without a coach, to sort out what he wants in a coach moving forward.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I heard rumors there was a 'bust up' with Goran at IW? not sure if that is 100%, yes it came out of the blue they are not together, maybe Novak needs time by himself without a coach, to sort out what he wants in a coach moving forward.
He put something a bit cryptic in his twitter announcement about "drama" or something, and that his #Nolefans, or whatever he calls them, would know. Seemingly implying that there were rough-edges around that relationship. Maybe @don_fabio knows some back-story.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

I think it's weird, too. I like Goran. All the other things you cite, as well. I don't know...you get to a certain age, you've won basically everything there is, you have growing kids...it must be hard to keep the motivation, at some point. When he decided to skip Miami, he said something about balance in personal and professional life.

Reactions: don_fabio

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Grigor seems like he is dialled in today,and his buddy Rena is in the stands cheering him on.

Reactions: Fiero425

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Monte Carlo Update:
OUT: Paul
IN: Giron

Just a reminder that the Monte Carlo Masters draw will take place this Friday 5th April at 6pm local time.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Former No 1 doubles player Nenad Zimonjic is in Monte Carlo with Djokovic, suggesting they've agreed to collaborate for at least a trial period.Whether its up for the upcoming tournament alone or longer remains to be seen. Novak and Zimonjic were seen together along with Holger Rune and Patrick M at the courts in MC today, Novak was practicing with Holger.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Thiem won an ATP level match after three decades and a few total eclipses since the last one.
After feeling pain in his wrist again he wasnt certain if he would play, at Estorial, then decided to, lets see how he goes in his next match where he will play Gasquet

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa is already a billionaire he doesn't need the money
Its not about the money at all, lets see if he is healthy to be able to compete in the up coming clay season ( his favorite season of the year)

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Persistent rain has forced significant disruption to Tuesdays' matches at the Estoril Open
Nine of the 11 scheduled matches across the singles and doubles draws have already been postponed until Wednesday

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Not to nitpick details, but according to a web search, Rafa's net worth is $220 million. No small potatoes, but even if we pad it a bit, that's a quarter or third of a billion.

And I totally agree that he won't play for money - that's an absurd idea, quite frankly. I'm sure one of the Nadalites can speak more accurately to his motives, but my guess is a combination of love of the game/competition, records/legacy, and perhaps out of some sense of duty to his fans.

Given the setbacks he's undergone these last two years, I would guess it is more the 1st and 3rd...love of the game and for his fans. I'm not sure what else he can do to pad his record, and he must know he's got very little chance of catching Novak in the Slam count. I think he just loves tennis, loves competing, and loves his fans. After the last two decades (three, really), and being one of the best who ever played, it is a hard thing to give up. Roger didn't fully give up until he started slipping out of elite level. He was still playing at a very high level in 2019 and the beginning of 2020, but when he came back in 2021 he was a shadow of his former self. The writing was plain on the wall.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Not to nitpick details, but according to a web search, Rafa's net worth is $220 million. No small potatoes, but even if we pad it a bit, that's a quarter or third of a billion.

And I totally agree that he won't play for money - that's an absurd idea, quite frankly. I'm sure one of the Nadalites can speak more accurately to his motives, but my guess is a combination of love of the game/competition, records/legacy, and perhaps out of some sense of duty to his fans.

Given the setbacks he's undergone these last two years, I would guess it is more the 1st and 3rd...love of the game and for his fans. I'm not sure what else he can do to pad his record, and he must know he's got very little chance of catching Novak in the Slam count. I think he just loves tennis, loves competing, and loves his fans. After the last two decades (three, really), and being one of the best who ever played, it is a hard thing to give up. Roger didn't fully give up until he started slipping out of elite level. He was still playing at a very high level in 2019 and the beginning of 2020, but when he came back in 2021 he was a shadow of his former self. The writing was plain on the wall.

When playing a sport this physically tough, IMO it's not a setback as much as "it's time!" They can't stay out there forever! Roger thought he could and Nadal's testing the limits! It's ridiculous for anyone to feel any kind of way about players who are 35+! It's all gravy and when it starts getting hard to stay near the top, GO! Right now, we're not sure of Djokovic! In a normal season, he'd have 3 titles by now! If it's his time, I'll support it! I think he still has a little left in the tank; maybe 1 more FO to complete his 4th CGS! I'm hoping he can rise to the occasion to take MC so he'll have 4 Golden Masters! I think even the hardcore Fedal fans will have to come around when he stretches out the rec.-bk. in his favor! :fearful-face: :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :astonished-face: :face-with-tears-of-joy: