2022 Wimbledon QF: Djokovic vs. Sinner

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Went to beach when Novak was 2 sets down. Didn't bring the mobile phone. Came back and saw the comeback. This is the type of match he needed in RG this year before Rafa, but it never happened.

Reactions: Fiero425

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
I thought the first set was over with this score line, however …

I thought the same and passed out until the 5th set! Novak does that, did it last year in the final, goes up a break, then systematically allows his opponent to get back into the set! He surrounds players with break pts, but doesn't take it! Weird; still the best out there! "Congrats Nole!" :clap:

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
This is all but over. Sinner doesn’t have the mental strength to beat Novak, whose confidence is now soaring. Alcaraz never would have allowed Novak back into the match.

Alcaraz was the only player I was worried about! Last year it was the same, I figured Novak needed Medvedev to be upset! I was right! :shushing-face: :face-with-hand-over-mouth:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Went to beach when Novak was 2 sets down. Didn't bring the mobile phone. Came back and saw the comeback. This is the type of match he needed in RG this year before Rafa, but it never happened.
Hi Don do you think it was the type of match he needed? well seeing Novak has a soft draw at Wimbledon I guess so, I mean he plays Norrie in the s/final now.
According to some of the experts Sinner has to bulk up mentally and physically....:)

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
What do you do to bulk up mentally?
The problem for Sinner though is his body breaks down, so he can’t even build on success or work on parts of his game that fail him. Hence why I said he needs to get his body together, so he can actually play tournaments and build his game and work through problems. I don’t think he has had an entire year on tour where something hasn’t happened that sidelined him.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
That's been the problem w/ the last era or 2 of also ran Next Gen'rs! They literally brk down mentally; hence the "Big 3" owning the tour for yrs.! :lol6:
This has become ridiculos already and totally predictable. Nadal and Novak has won 14 out of 16 last slams! It's like other players don't even exist and these 2 are in late stages of their careers.

Reactions: Fiero425

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Hi Don do you think it was the type of match he needed? well seeing Novak has a soft draw at Wimbledon I guess so, I mean he plays Norrie in the s/final now.
According to some of the experts Sinner has to bulk up mentally and physically....:)
Yeah his draw was a joke, but so is the bottom part. This whole year Wimbledon is a bit of a joke.

All players born after 1990 are mentally weak. I'll just give Alcaraz a pass.

Reactions: Moxie and atttomole

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah his draw was a joke, but so is the bottom part. This whole year Wimbledon is a bit of a joke.

All players born after 1990 are mentally weak. I'll just give Alcaraz a pass.
Seeing Wimbledon is a joke this year with the banning of Russian and Belarus players that goes without saying, the freezing of the points? what a joke, also seeing Matteo got COVID, who was having a great pre grass season, I am still upset with his withdrawal,the draw is what it is I guess.Forgot to mention Hubi who went out in the 1st rd? being a semi finalist last year, shock result as well.
Shapo the other s/finalist last year not soo much of a shock, he was defeated early, his game has been missing since Rome this year, Cilic also a good grass player gonsky as well with COVID

Last edited:
Reactions: Moxie and don_fabio

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I have to laugh with comments that Alczraz would be a better match up than Sinner? to Novak
I suggest you go back and watch that match between Alcaraz v Sinner, Sinner too him off the court, massive return game and his fhand was on 'song;
Sinner played a few loose shots in the t/break, apart from that was in total command in the match.
I am still proud of Sinner, seeing he had limited experience on grass and making a q/final at Wimbledon was beyond my expectation's
I am glad he has Cahill in his coaching team, yes on grass there are things he has to learn, around the net for one, though as Cahill said of Sinner he is a hard worker, he also said being now 6ft 4 '' that should now help his serve.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I thought the same and passed out until the 5th set! Novak does that, did it last year in the final, goes up a break, then systematically allows his opponent to get back into the set! He surrounds players with break pts, but doesn't take it! Weird; still the best out there! "Congrats Nole!" :clap:
What ever happened to you actually rooting for a changing of the guard? :face-with-tears-of-joy: You're so full of it.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I have to laugh with comments that Alczraz would be a better match up than Sinner? to Novak
I suggest you go back and watch that match between Alcaraz v Sinner, Sinner too him off the court, massive return game and his fhand was on 'song;
Sinner played a few loose shots in the t/break, apart from that was in total command in the match.
I am still proud of Sinner, seeing he had limited experience on grass and making a q/final at Wimbledon was beyond my expectation's
I am glad he has Cahill in his coaching team, yes on grass there are things he has to learn, around the net for one, though as Cahill said of Sinner he is a hard worker, he also said being now 6ft 4 '' that should now help his serve.
I didn‘t say he was a better match up; I said that had it been Alcaraz up two sets to love, he would have sealed the deal, not given it away in 5. It was more of a theoretical comment than anything else.

Reactions: don_fabio and Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I didn‘t say he was a better match up; I said that had it been Alcaraz up two sets to love, he would have sealed the deal, not given it away in 5. It was more of a theoretical comment than anything else.
I concur and did say in the match, Jannik had all the momentum going into the 3rd set? if he was to win, I felt he had to win in straight sets? big ask though against Novak, we have all seen this script before though Novak being down 2 sets to love.I was just waiting for the response after Sinner was up 2 sets to love.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The problem for Sinner though is his body breaks down, so he can’t even build on success or work on parts of his game that fail him. Hence why I said he needs to get his body together, so he can actually play tournaments and build his game and work through problems. I don’t think he has had an entire year on tour where something hasn’t happened that sidelined him.
I hear ya, and granted he's "only" 20, but it's sort of the chicken and the egg. Injuries are part and parcel of the game and Sinner is young, but learning how to cope with pressure, well part of that is muscle memory from matches but that is also something that comes from inside.

Sinner couldn't generate the mental strength for one more set once things started to unravel. There is nothing to guarantee that being injury free that mental strength will come automatically. Even experienced players relatively injury free can't seem to summon up that mental fortitude in pressure packed crunch time situations on the biggest stages.

That is why I'm curious to see how Zverev comes back from his injury, relatively speaking he's always been the entitled next big thing since 2017, how he comes back from genuine adversity and whether he can finally pass the final test.

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
That is a theoretical match, and barely worth mentioning. But what happened to Sinner today, then? Of course we are proud of what he's done to date. I like him a lot! He's on my short list for later. I guess you tried to explain, and surely he'll improve. Still...he had 3 sets available to get one. I know he was playing Djokovic, but neither his nerve, nor his game, nor his tactics held. He did rather fall apart. Too much in his head that he had yet to beat a Top 10 player? Cahill has been working with him only a short time, so that is a WIP.