2022 Wimbledon QF: Djokovic vs. Sinner

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
That is a theoretical match, and barely worth mentioning. But what happened to Sinner today, then? Of course we are proud of what he's done to date. I like him a lot! He's on my short list for later. I guess you tried to explain, and surely he'll improve. Still...he had 3 sets available to get one. I know he was playing Djokovic, but neither his nerve, nor his game, nor his tactics held. He did rather fall apart. Too much in his head that he had yet to beat a Top 10 player? Cahill has been working with him only a short time, so that is a WIP.
Well with someone that has hardly any experience on grass and taking 2 sets off Novak on grass, we now call him Mentally weak? at 20 years of age!!!!!!!!!
Please give me a break, that is how Young Players Learn ? for the life of me not many players are born with that type of Mentality? I can think of one Rafa.

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well with someone that has hardly any experience on grass and taking 2 sets off Novak on grass, we now call him Mentally weak?
Please give me a break, that is how Young Players Learn ? for the life of me not many players are born with that type of Mentality? I cam think of one Rafa.
Dont make me laugh!
Look, it was a disappointment today, for some of us, that he couldn't pull off the upset. Sure, he's only 20, and sure, he's just getting his feet in the grass. However, opportunity was knocking for him, and he couldn't push through the door. This is the complaint, above all, and it's not unfair. It's what everyone (particularly @Fiero425) has been complaining about for ages. Novak is 35 years old, a 20 year old had him on the ropes and couldn't close the deal. Yes, Novak and Nadal are way above everyone else, as Roger was. But still, where is the brass from the youngsters? It's not unfair that we bemoan them missing opportunities. Clearly, we're just going to have to wait for those who will beat the Big 2/3. Or, more likely, from what we are seeing, it will take them aging out. Windows of opportunity open, and get shut down.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Look, it was a disappointment today, for some of us, that he couldn't pull off the upset. Sure, he's only 20, and sure, he's just getting his feet in the grass. However, opportunity was knocking for him, and he couldn't push through the door. This is the complaint, above all, and it's not unfair. It's what everyone (particularly @Fiero425) has been complaining about for ages. Novak is 35 years old, a 20 year old had him on the ropes and couldn't close the deal. Yes, Novak and Nadal are way above everyone else, as Roger was. But still, where is the brass from the youngsters? It's not unfair that we bemoan them missing opportunities. Clearly, we're just going to have to wait for those who will beat the Big 2/3. Or, more likely, from what we are seeing, it will take them aging out. Windows of opportunity open, and get shut down.
I disagree, okay he could not get the win, still name me a young player in his position that could win? I repeat that is how younger players learn after a defeat like today, I am taking the positives, not like some, who are only seeing the negatives
Yes we have been spoilt to date with Roger, Rafa and Novak, this is a different era in tennis get used to it, we may not see this calibre of players like The Big 3 for sometime or never..hello look at The Young Greek and Sasha mentally weak players that are older than Jannik and neither one of them have won a GS title? I rest my case..........honestly

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I disagree, okay he could not get the win, still name me a young player in his position that could win? I repeat that is how younger players learn after a defeat like today, I am taking the positives, not like some, who are only seeing the negatives
Yes we have been spoilt to date with Roger, Rafa and Novak, this is a different era in tennis get used to it, we may not see this calibre of players like The Big 3 for sometime or never..
We could go around in circles, but the answer to your question as to who the young player was that COULD win today was, by more than just my own estimation, is Alcaraz. The reasons have been laid out here. An important one was that Alcaraz had recently beaten Novak, and Novak was looking tight. Also, Alcaraz has significant Top 10 wins, and he has, for wont of another word, more swagger. That's why I wanted him to face Novak in this round. That said, he lost in the prior one, so who can say what he would have really done? It's all just theoretical. And don't take it like we're ganging up against Sinner. I think he's well-liked around here. Opportunity squandered, is all. He's young, and he'll learn from it.

Last edited:

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
We could go around in circles, but the answer to your question as to who the young player was that COULD win today was, by more than just my own estimation, is Alcaraz. The reasons have been laid out here. An important one was that Alcaraz had recently beaten Novak, and Novak was looking tight. Also, Alcaraz has significant Top 10 wins, and he has, for wont of another word, more swagger. That's why I wanted him to face Novak in this round. That said, he lost in the prior one, so who can say what he would have really done? It's all just theoretical. And don't take it like we're ganging up against Sinner. I think he's well-liked around here. Opportunity squandered, is all. He's young, and he'll learn from it.

Novak almost had a flying carpet to the Final after Alcaraz was upset! If Goffin had completed the deal, it would have helped his cause! Norrie's no slouch & can be dangerous if he keeps his head! Novak'll need some "brain farts" from him which are indeed possible! Nadal'll have to work harder!

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Novak almost had a flying carpet to the Final after Alcaraz was upset! If Goffin had completed the deal, it would have helped his cause! Norrie's no slouch & can be dangerous if he keeps his head! Novak'll need some "brain farts" from him which are indeed possible! Nadal'll have to work harder!
Who stole your account and got you all sanguine? But yes, Goffin, however clever, has nothing to debate with Novak. Norrie, on the other had, might have. I see in H2H, they played ATP finals to a 2, 1 demolition of Norrie. But that was a long time ago, in Norrie's evolution, and indoors. And they will be playing on CC Wimbledon, and Norrie is a Brit. I don't expect Cam to win, but he could cause damage. The other fair thing you said is that Nadal will have to work harder. All but certainly true. Fritz, then likely Kyrgios. Given what is on offer, a harder road.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Who stole your account and got you all sanguine? But yes, Goffin, however clever, has nothing to debate with Novak. Norrie, on the other had, might have. I see in H2H, they played ATP finals to a 2, 1 demolition of Norrie. But that was a long time ago, in Norrie's evolution, and indoors. And they will be playing on CC Wimbledon, and Norrie is a Brit. I don't expect Cam to win, but he could cause damage. The other fair thing you said is that Nadal will have to work harder. All but certainly true. Fritz, then likely Kyrgios. Given what is on offer, a harder road.

I'm a realist & have no illusions that Novak or for that matter Rafa can keep this going forever! I need Nole to eclipse Nadal who's only real rec. that matters is the "Major's lead" at 22! Novak won't even have a chance @USO so he needs to win this tourn. to remain in the race & get past Fed! :shushing-face:

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Yes we have been spoilt to date with Roger, Rafa and Novak, this is a different era in tennis get used to it, we may not see this calibre of players like The Big 3 for sometime or never..hello look at The Young Greek and Sasha mentally weak players that are older than Jannik and neither one of them have won a GS title? I rest my case..........honestly
I think we have to wait and see how he learns from it. Could be positive could be negative. So far the other young guns who lost a 2 sets lead haven't really learned positively yet (Tits hasn't been right since, Meddie hasn't won a tourney all year. It's been 2 years and Zed still hasn't claimed a big scalp in a major. FAA pushes Nads to 5 at RG, but goes out R1 here. Before his injury didn't Coric also lose a 2 sets lead?) .

CC: @Moxie

Reactions: Fiero425

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Sorry I disagree with Alcaraz, Sinner took him off the court in their match.? your clutching at straws BTW, also talking hypotheticals, how do you know if he would have beaten Novak on the grass at Wimbledon?....again a hypothetical?
If he did beat Jannik we then can have a conversation.I kn ow he is your favorite, try to be a bit more objective okay

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I think we have to wait and see how he learns from it. Could be positive could be negative. So far the other young guns who lost a 2 sets lead haven't really learned positively yet (Tits hasn't been right since, Meddie hasn't won a tourney all year. It's been 2 years and Zed still hasn't claimed a big scalp in a major. FAA pushes Nads to 5 at RG, but goes out R1 here. Before his injury didn't Coric also lose a 2 sets lead?) .

CC: @Moxie
Thanks Kstate 2 that is my reasoning...lets see if he learns from it...thanks for the voice of reason.