• Poll closed .

tented

Administrator
Reactions
C5C648D0-8F46-42A9-ABEA-DEC26AAC21CC.jpeg

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
If Kyrgios isn't overwhelmed by the occasion and is playing freely then I think he should win. The only issue is that he has played only one match on Center Court so I wonder if he will find the surface too slow. Otherwise I haven't been impressed by Djokovic's level at all and found that Sinner & Norrie were outplaying him but choked mentally as soon as they thought they had a chance to win. Of course Djokovic noticed that and took advantage.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Holy Moly, Nick has made almost $10Mil in prize money. (Sorry, I got distracted.)

Obviously, Novak will be the favorite. Nerves will play a part on both sides. Novak has a lot riding on this one, and he will be aware of the H2H, and how dangerous Nick is. (Didn't realize that Novak has yet to take a set off of Nick. But that was a long time ago, too.) Can Nick serve great and play within himself? Will that rattle Novak early? Will there be drama and gamesmanship? For Nick to win, he's got to stay calm and get into Novak's game early. He's also got to get the job done in 4 max, IMO. Novak has to keep calm and play his game, and not let in distractions, like the #21, or the crowd. I think he did himself no favors with the crowd today. My one prediction for the moment is that the crowd will start pro-Kyrgios.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Djokovic on Kyrgios,

" I dont know if we can call it a bromance yet, but we have a much better relationship.I respect him a lot for sticking up for me in January".

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Holy Moly, Nick has made almost $10Mil in prize money. (Sorry, I got distracted.)

Obviously, Novak will be the favorite. Nerves will play a part on both sides. Novak has a lot riding on this one, and he will be aware of the H2H, and how dangerous Nick is. (Didn't realize that Novak has yet to take a set off of Nick. But that was a long time ago, too.) Can Nick serve great and play within himself? Will that rattle Novak early? Will there be drama and gamesmanship? For Nick to win, he's got to stay calm and get into Novak's game early. He's also got to get the job done in 4 max, IMO. Novak has to keep calm and play his game, and not let in distractions, like the #21, or the crowd. I think he did himself no favors with the crowd today. My one prediction for the moment is that the crowd will start pro-Kyrgios.
Apart from prize money, he needs it seeing he gets big fines in most matches he plays.He co hosts a TV show here in Sydney call Ninja Warrior it rates highly when he is on it., makes good money from that show.

Reactions: Moxie

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Tented is it too late to get Keli to fashion some Voodoo dolls of the finalists..I can go to dollar general store to get the needle pins!

If Nick wins he becomes legendary..God help Us all.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Tented is it too late to get Keli to fashion some Voodoo dolls of the finalists..I can go to dollar general store to get the needle pins!

If Nick wins he becomes legendary..God help Us all.
She’ll have to answer that, but …

It just occurred to me that I should have added options to vote for Djokovic or Kyrgios through default. I can already imagine people getting hit by balls, an avalanche of code violations, pulling the umpire off the chair, kicking the tournament supervisor. They should be scanned before taking court to check for knives, nunchucks, and flame flowers.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
To me Novak hasnt looked happy all tournament, maybe something else is going on behind the scenes.
Then again he didnt look happy at RG either, his body language, he certainly felt the pressure of being the defending champion.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
She’ll have to answer that, but …

It just occurred to me that I should have added options to vote for Djokovic or Kyrgios through default. I can already imagine people getting hit by balls, an avalanche of code violations, pulling the umpire off the chair, kicking the tournament supervisor. They should be scanned before taking court to check for knives, nunchucks, and flame flowers.
Remember what I said about hazard pay for the umpire? Who is the poor sod who will get the "honor" of refereeing this match? They've got be bringing in the big guns. (Which I mean sort of literally.)

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Remember what I said about hazard pay for the umpire? Who is the poor sod who will get the "honor" of refereeing this match? They've got be bringing in the big guns. (Which I mean sort of literally.)
Which umpire picks the 'short straw' in the umpires room gets to umpire the match :)
Seeing it is in London....I will go for British James Keothavong, he wont put up with any nonscense
Or another alternative bring back The Headmaster aka Lars Graf he wont put up with any BS, antics, etc of any kind.Lars would have to just 'stare' at players, they were too afraid to talk back or query any ruling he had in the matches he umpired.

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Which umpire picks the 'short straw' in the umpires room gets to umpire the match :)
Seeing it is in London....I will go for British James Keothavong, he wont put up with any nonscense
Or another alternative bring back The Headmaster aka Lars Graf he wont put up with any BS, antics, etc of any kind.Lars would have to just 'stare' at players, they were too afraid to talk back or query any ruling he had in the matches he umpired.
Depending on how the match goes, when they give the umpire that little plate in the trophy ceremony, I hope they also pin a medal on his/her chest. Whether Purple Heart or Service Above and Beyond.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Hey, @the AntiPusher, the NYTimes has picked up on your theme.

This is a headline in today's paper:

Novak Djokovic vs. Nick Kyrgios Makes for a Villainous Wimbledon Final

I know it's behind a paywall and not all will be able to read it, but they are definitely riffing on AP's list.

Some highlights, for those who cannot link:

"What the matchup with Kyrgios in the final might lack in terms of historical value — no one, not even Kyrgios, expects him to evolve, at 27, into an all-time great — it may well make up for with drama. It is a duel between two players that many in and around the sport view as villains.
Djokovic’s impetuous and contrarian behavior, especially compared with his chief rivals, the gentlemanly Nadal and Roger Federer, has long made him more feared than loved, a crasher of the binary tennis rivalry that Federer and Nadal first created more than 15 years ago.
Kyrgios, a temperamental and explosive talent who has spent his career battling the tennis establishment and his own demons, is an uncontrollable and disruptive force who has put himself in the heat of the Wimbledon spotlight since the first days of this tournament.
He can explode at any moment, and he has repeatedly in the past two weeks, at chair umpires, opponents, fans or anyone he views as treating him unjustly. Sometimes it is genuine, other times it is merely to shake up and distract his opponent. He has earned $14,000 in fines this tournament but has played to packed stadiums, with fans lusting for his booming serve, or the occasional underhanded one, and his through-the-legs trick shots....

“There’s going to be a lot of fireworks emotionally,” said Djokovic, a favorite in the match even though he has never beaten or even won a set against Kyrgios."

Reactions: don_fabio

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I am curious to see if Djokovic starts slow once again. He has been starting slow lately not just in this tournament but in the past year or so...

For Kyrgios, I am curious to see on how he will return Djokovic's serves. He is not one of the best returners in the tour, by all means. But, I am curious on how he will return especially if he gets an early lead.

Interestingly enough, if Kyrgios does win Wimbledon this year, it will be the 20-year anniversary in which the last Australian won Wimbledon: Lleyton Hewitt. Hewitt is one of the few Australians that defended Kyrgios antics and personality.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I am curious to see if Djokovic starts slow once again. He has been starting slow lately not just in this tournament but in the past year or so...

For Kyrgios, I am curious to see on how he will return Djokovic's serves. He is not one of the best returners in the tour, by all means. But, I am curious on how he will return especially if he gets an early lead.

Interestingly enough, if Kyrgios does win Wimbledon this year, it will be the 20-year anniversary in which the last Australian won Wimbledon: Lleyton Hewitt. Hewitt is one of the few Australians that defended Kyrgios antics and personality.
Novak's getting older and tighter, and the pressure does mount. I think he dropped the first set of all but one of his matches in that last USO. He doesn't want to start slow, but he does tend to be vulnerable in the first set. Nick will need to jump on that to have a chance.

Nick and Novak both know they have to serve well. Nick's serve is hard to read, which should frustrate Novak. But he's one of the best returners of serve in the game, and he'll stick his racquet on it enough times to keep the ball in play and win points. Nick can have a very fine return of serve, especially when he is feeling loose. In the end, if Novak's serving day is bigger, he will surely win. If Nick's is bigger, he'll be in with a shot, is all. It's Nick that has to play focused and contained. He can blow smoke over Tsitsipas and win a match, but I don't think that will work on Djokovic, or on CC at Wimbledon in the final. Be chill, Nick!

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Novak's getting older and tighter, and the pressure does mount. I think he dropped the first set of all but one of his matches in that last USO. He doesn't want to start slow, but he does tend to be vulnerable in the first set. Nick will need to jump on that to have a chance.

Nick and Novak both know they have to serve well. Nick's serve is hard to read, which should frustrate Novak. But he's one of the best returners of serve in the game, and he'll stick his racquet on it enough times to keep the ball in play and win points. Nick can have a very fine return of serve, especially when he is feeling loose. In the end, if Novak's serving day is bigger, he will surely win. If Nick's is bigger, he'll be in with a shot, is all. It's Nick that has to play focused and contained. He can blow smoke over Tsitsipas and win a match, but I don't think that will work on Djokovic, or on CC at Wimbledon in the final. Be chill, Nick!
Interestingly enough, Nick’s best match, in my opinion, is the match against Federer at the Miami Open in 2017. High-quality match and Nick was contained and focus throughout the match. Let’s see if we see that Nick on Sunday

Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I dont think Nick can replicate his win against Federer in 2017, that was 5 years ago and a lot of water has traveled under the bridge where Nick is concerned. I feel if Nick it to cause the upset he cannot afford to let the match go 5 sets.Yes, Nick has won a 5 setter match here at Wimbledon, though the big difference he is facing Novak, and we have all seen the script before, Novak is quite capable of coming back, being down 2 sets to love.Nick' serve will be of prime importance in this match, he has the variety, times his opponents cannot pick which way he will go with the serve., and of course he is facing one if not the best returner currently in the men's game.To me Nick has to win the 1st set, it will give him the confidence needed, of course he will be nervous, that goes without saying.I also think he has too much respect for Novak to put on any antics in the match, he always seems to rise up when he plays Federer, Nadal and Novak.,if he does decide to put on antics in the match it will be to his demise.