Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Federer in five sets

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Djokovic leads the H2H match up 25-22 including winning the last 4 matches. In addition, this will be their 16th meeting at a slam and fifth on a grand slam final. Djokovic has won their last four encounters at a major including the last three major final encounters that includes the 2014 and 2015 Wimbledon finals. Federer’s last win over Djokovic at a major is 2012 Wimbledon semifinals.

Because of the how close the slam race is right now, a win by Federer will be huge here. In my opinion, if he wins this match, he will keep slam title record in my opinion. I just think a three gap lead over Nadal and six gap lead over Djokovic will be enough to keep the record.

On the other hand, if Djokovic wins...yeah back to square one :-)2

Side note: a Federer win will allow him to overtake Nadal in the rankings by Monday

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Novak in four sets.....I always had him winning this tournament as soon as the draw was out.
Agree with Rafanoy regarding the ROS,Novak is the best returner in the mens game.Just finished watching both matches,still sticking with Novak,apart from Rafa's ROS which went AWOL,his bhand also let him down.Novak had a little blip in his match,regained his level.Novak being younger,will have the fresher legs if this match goes the distance in his match against Federer,also I dont think Novak will lose his bhand like Rafa did in his match against Roger.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moxie

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
One thing that gives me some hope is that Novak hasn't faced any truly elite players. He's played a bunch of journeymen (Kohl, Kudla, Goffin, Agut) and a couple young guys (Humbert, Hurkacz), but not even a second tier type.

Federer, on the other hand, has had a gradual trajectory of improving players, from the hot Berrentini (whom he slaughtered) to a true second tier type (Nishikori) to his arch-nemesis (Nadal).

The other thing that gives me hope is that Roger didn't just beat Rafa by serving and offense; he hung in there with long rallies, and also returned pretty well.

Regardless, this should be competitive. I'm picking Roger in four, even though I think it is about 50-50.

Reactions: MartyB and monfed

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
^ I love the optimism there, El Dude, I really do, but 50/50 given the respective ages seems to be pushing it, plus Roger admitted he was exhausted after his match.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
I am on the 50/50 bandwagon. Djokovic had the better year, is on average playing better than Federer for months, but Federer just showed a level I really doubted he was still able to. Even with the second set, that was the best performance of the tournament, backed up by a quite good showing against Nishikori.

Also, one giant advantage Djokovic had over Federer in the last, say, 7 years, is that he was simply miles above him on the consistency department. He is still has the clear edge, but it is way smaller now. In the confidence department, I am seeing some fluctuations from Djokovic that could cost him. Anyway I don't see those factors are big enough to give the edge for Federer. I think it will all come down to the guy who has the better day on serve.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Nole is a different proposition for Roger, both positive and negative, compared to Rafa. He may serve out of his mind and still get broken multiple times, but the slice that Rafa eats for breakfast can work against Nole. There are no secrets in this match up either. Whomever is good on the day. I would like to go with Roger in straights.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
One thing that gives me some hope is that Novak hasn't faced any truly elite players. He's played a bunch of journeymen (Kohl, Kudla, Goffin, Agut) and a couple young guys (Humbert, Hurkacz), but not even a second tier type.

Federer, on the other hand, has had a gradual trajectory of improving players, from the hot Berrentini (whom he slaughtered) to a true second tier type (Nishikori) to his arch-nemesis (Nadal).

The other thing that gives me hope is that Roger didn't just beat Rafa by serving and offense; he hung in there with long rallies, and also returned pretty well.

Regardless, this should be competitive. I'm picking Roger in four, even though I think it is about 50-50.
This was my argument a couple of rounds back, whichever of Fedal met Novak, if that was to be it. Djokovic hasn't faced a hard test at all, and has been a bit wonky at times. Roger comes off a signature win over Nadal, with a strong last 3 sets over Nishikori in the semis. His best hope is to come out the sharper and more confident. That said, sometimes it doesn't take a strong fortnight for Djokovic to come out guns blazing in the final of a Major these days, or before the walkabout. I don't think Novak will ever be quite the player he was before his two years in the wilderness, but Roger is nearly 38, and he isn't, either. Solid chance for either, but Novak is younger, and his match wasn't as emotional today. I'd tip Novak, in 4 or 5.

Reactions: shawnbm

MikeOne

Masters Champion
Reactions
on the draws, both have faced subpar opponents with exception of Rafa fr Fed. I laugh at some talking about Nishikori and the Italian youngster as 'tough' at wimbledon.

Roger will be slightly more battle tested but slightly more tired, pros/cons.

I like Djokovic vs Federer matches because Djokovic gets offensive against Roger. You get the feeling Novak tries to attack before Roger does so i've seen Novak play some of the most sublime baseline tennis vs Roger. Whatever fan boys say, Roger played VERY well in their first Wimbledon final and lost, Djokovic played at an extremely high level.

I noticed Federer made an interesting comment today when asked about Djokovic, he said one thing that sticks out is Djokovic's ability to stretch/defend off his left side. I've seen Federer get in trouble against Novak by going too much to Novak's bh, i think Fed will go more and more to Novak's fh.

Federer has to start fast against Novak and get him uneasy early on. Of the big 3, Novak is the most vulnerable to bouts of frustration which sometimes costs him sets. Perfect example was against Thiem, that first set was a gift by novak. If Federer can serve well, get Novak whining, throwing racquets....will be tough for Djoker. If Djoker stays calm, returns well and keeps putting pressure, will be tough for Fed. I would say the x factor will be Novak's mental game, he sometimes is super strong yet sometimes loses his cool and it costs him games, sets. He can't afford these spells in finals...

Reactions: shawnbm and Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
on the draws, both have faced subpar opponents with exception of Rafa fr Fed. I laugh at some talking about Nishikori and the Italian youngster as 'tough' at wimbledon.

Roger will be slightly more battle tested but slightly more tired, pros/cons.

I like Djokovic vs Federer matches because Djokovic gets offensive against Roger. You get the feeling Novak tries to attack before Roger does so i've seen Novak play some of the most sublime baseline tennis vs Roger. Whatever fan boys say, Roger played VERY well in their first Wimbledon final and lost, Djokovic played at an extremely high level.

I noticed Federer made an interesting comment today when asked about Djokovic, he said one thing that sticks out is Djokovic's ability to stretch/defend off his left side. I've seen Federer get in trouble against Novak by going too much to Novak's bh, i think Fed will go more and more to Novak's fh.

Federer has to start fast against Novak and get him uneasy early on. Of the big 3, Novak is the most vulnerable to bouts of frustration which sometimes costs him sets. Perfect example was against Thiem, that first set was a gift by novak. If Federer can serve well, get Novak whining, throwing racquets....will be tough for Djoker. If Djoker stays calm, returns well and keeps putting pressure, will be tough for Fed. I would say the x factor will be Novak's mental game, he sometimes is super strong yet sometimes loses his cool and it costs him games, sets. He can't afford these spells in finals...
I think this is a fair assessment. Roger needs to ride his wave of confidence, and Djokovic has to not get frustrated. The endless cliche is the first set, but it will mean more to Fed than Novak. Roger needs to frustrate Novak. And get ahead of him. If not, no chance.

Mile

Masters Champion
Reactions
The man who will win will make huge step into GOATness.

Djoker in 3.

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
Novak in 4. Hasn’t faced an elite player, yes, but could raise to what is needed. A game should be enough, not to talk about peak level like AO .
But he must raise his level: SF Novak not enough for SF Maestro!
If Fed wins , and I mean that honestly, I will take my hat off and congratulate all maestro fans!!! Because that means he beat bull and Novak, that alone is a glorious thing.
I agree this win would be huge for both! So nerves will be a factor for sure.
Don’t know exactly why, but I’m pretty confident my guy will do it.
Let’s gooooooo!!!

Reactions: don_fabio

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
No way this match is 50/50. It's more like 70/30 in favour of Novak. It is a do or die match for both guys. If Fed has his slam count on the line so does the Novak. I think it would be even slightly embarrasing for Novak to lose this one after owning Fed in major finals. 3:0 scenario is possible if the serb wins that cliche first set.

If Novak gets frustrated it doesn't mean he'll lose. He usually channels the anger against Fed quite well. In their last final here when he gave away that 2nd set he was furiously cursing during changeover at some Fed fans in the audience and then went on to win 2 sets.

I actually think Agut was exactly the opponent Novak likes to fine tune his game, lots of rallies where he could find his accuracy and confidence.

Shivashish Sarkar

Major Winner
Reactions
Predictions have been mostly wrong so far this time, okay? Didn't most people say Nadal will win this semi final? And what happened? It's a notion we have that Roger is 38 years old and cannot last in long rallies / matches , he is proving everyone wrong time and again. Not to belittle Novak at all, this time I am positive Roger's gonna win and make the scores even at 2-2. It is going to be a good match against the best competitor of all times, the cold blooded Djokovic, but I like Roger's chances. Why? Because he's playing great tennis.

If Djokovic plays at AO 2019 level though, I don't know. As a reason for his devastating performance, Nadal was hitting moonballs. Federer is not going to do that with his eastern grip.

Federer and Djokovic both have won the last 3 slam finals. Mouth-watering.

Last edited:

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Roger, at 37y 11m, will be the oldest Slam finalist since Ken Rosewall in 1974, when he was 39 in Wimbledon and USO (he lost both to a young Jimmy Connors).

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Unless Roger does something different from his recent slam finals against Novak I see this as a Djokovic win in 3 or 4 sets. Federer has to....

• return serve better
  • hold the baseline and not get forced back
  • I want to see deep slices to Novak's forehand, with Roger running in to put vollies away when Novak is forced to scoop those shots up
  • and he has to be consistent with his serve!
The moment I see Roger being forced to run side to side, I'll know it's over and not worth sacrificing a Sunday afternoon to watch..

Shivashish Sarkar

Major Winner
Reactions
The grass is bouncing low. And, Roger is playing like a true grass courter. He's going to serve big. He's going to hit flat. He's going to take full advantage of the low bouncing court. But, there's always an uncertainty, viz., if there are going to be problems with his execution or if he is going to be proactive. And Novak. I don't know what to expect from him. I haven't seen a match of his. He's reached the final and that must mean he is playing solid tennis. May the best man win. But, if Roger's going 20+ in the winner/ue differential, it's his match.

Last edited: