Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Federer in five sets

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Djokovic in 4. He will asphyxiate Federer by putting pressure on his serve. With his serve nullified, there will be little more that Federer can do. He will not be able to win long points because the semi-final took a lot out of him, and Djokovic will be aware of that.

MikeOne

Masters Champion
Reactions
I really think the key will be djokovic’s composure. Novak can be extremely mentally tough but is known to go through spells where he gets too emotional and gives games away. If he can stay calm and keep putting pressure on fed’s service games, i think he wins. Federer is hard to beat when his serve is in flow, djokovic is probably the only one with a quality of return that can push federer on fed’s service games even when fed is serving well. It takes patience though, it is win by a thousand cuts.. keep returning well, putting pressure, eventually it pays off. Over the course of the match, if novak can remain steady and calm, think he has the game to beat federer, even fed playing well. By neutralizing fed’s serve with his quality return, novak can disarm federer.

Federer is the type of player that can make opponents feel helpless in stretches, he can be up 4-1 in a blink of the eye, djokovic just needs to stay calm, cannot gift fed games out of frustration.

Last edited:

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
the great Serbinator in 4, can't imagine him lose this final

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Nole is going to sweep all the remaining slams...sorry Roger fans

MartyB

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Not sure if this is the right place for this post do it anyway. For you Nadal fans who are you rooting for today? At the French I was rooting for Nadal...

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Not sure if this is the right place for this post do it anyway. For you Nadal fans who are you rooting for today? At the French I was rooting for Nadal...

They'll be rooting for them both to lose :D

I think common sense says they'd prefer Djoker to win but I won't speak for them.

Reactions: Moxie and atttomole

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
They'll be rooting for them both to lose :D

I think common sense says they'd prefer Djoker to win but I won't speak for them.
Between a rock and a hard place. If Djokovic wins, then he is 2 behind Nadal, with the US and the AO to follow. If Federer wins, he is 3 ahead and most likely to retire soon. Therefore, I think they would prefer a Federer win.:D

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Between a rock and a hard place. If Djokovic wins, then he is 2 behind Nadal, with the US and the AO to follow. If Federer wins, he is 3 ahead and most likely to retire soon. Therefore, I think they would prefer a Federer win.:D

I look at it like this, the difference between 1 and 2 in the record books is way way greater than difference between 2 and 3. They should be all in for Rafa finishing with the most majors. Also if Djoker loses this he is more desperate for USO and may be even harder to beat.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
I am pretty sure most Nadal fans will root for Federer, for more than one reason, but the main one is that there is always the H2H...

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I look at it like this, the difference between 1 and 2 in the record books is way way greater than difference between 2 and 3. They should be all in for Rafa finishing with the most majors. Also if Djoker loses this he is more desperate for USO and may be even harder to beat.
I don't think losing here would make Novak harder to beat at the USO. You project your own desperation as a major motivating factor for actual tennis players. I personally think it has the opposite affect. I'll have to root for Novak, though of the two I prefer Roger. You have to stop the front-runner. Novak is already right behind Rafa, by 3. That's not chopped liver, and he's been 2 behind, so I can live with that.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I have always been a Novak fan,when the draw came out I picked him to win,it does not worry me if he will be 2 GS behind Rafa,after watching both s/finals,I am still staying with Novak to win.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
70yr 1m combined age..must be oldest not only of open era but also all time.

pre-ww2 had some plus 40yrs old finalists so depending on other blokes age it could be close.

Reactions: mrzz

MikeOne

Masters Champion
Reactions
I don't think losing here would make Novak harder to beat at the USO. You project your own desperation as a major motivating factor for actual tennis players. I personally think it has the opposite affect. I'll have to root for Novak, though of the two I prefer Roger. You have to stop the front-runner. Novak is already right behind Rafa, by 3. That's not chopped liver, and he's been 2 behind, so I can live with that.

Darth is losing sleep over Novak or Nadal possibly overtaking Fed in slams. It was entertaining seeing Darth, cali and others bash Fed for playing RG, as if it decreased chances of Roger doing well on grass. Turns out, it may have helped him, he won Halle and beat a red hot Nadal in semis. These fan boys are really nervous...

As far as this match is concerned, i'm going with Federer. Law of averages tells us roger is too good to go 0-3 vs Novak in Wimbledon finals. I always feel there are factors at play outside of the usual 'who's in form, who's fresher' etc.. Sometimes forces are just behind a certain player when he's due for a win... I think Novak will enter this match doubting he can make it 3-0 and Federer will come into this match feeling like it's his time. These mental things matter, it's a point here and there..

Reactions: MartyB

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Comforting quasi-stats for Federer fans:

Receiving numbers from Djokovic and Federer on this tournament are not that different. Checking on the Wimbledon website, Federer has won 2 more receiving points than Djokovic. However, they just give the total number not the percentage (which is what matters). So I checked at least the total number of games played by both, Federer played 9 more (193 to 182) so his stats are slightly behind -- anyway I think "slightly behind" is way better than most would have thought (including myself). This does not take opposition into account, but that would favor Federer I guess.

Serve numbers, on the other hand, seem to favor Federer, but it is harder to compare as Wimbledon just includes the top 20 -- and Djokovic does not make that list in a few categories, while Federer is there in most of them -- in a nutshell Federer`s edge on serve stats seems to be larger than Djokovic`s edge on receiving stats.

Of course that those are just... numbers. Anyway, I expected more intimidating receiving numbers from Djokovic.

One thing I wanted to comment on the semi, and still had no chance, is that, differently from the past, Nadal was not able to eat up Federer's slices... so either the surface is helping on that regard (lower bounce), or Nadal got worst (highly doubt), or Federer is making them go deeper (could be). They could be a factor tomorrow. Djokovic is a good slicer himself. It will be fun to see, at least for those calm enough to actually pay attention....

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^ You might find some comfort in this, as well. I have a Magic 8 Ball that's the Steve Tignor of predictions. I just asked it if Roger would win Wimbledon, and it said no. That should mean it's in the bag for Fed. :lulz2:

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^ You might find some comfort in this, as well. I have a Magic 8 Ball that's the Steve Tignor of predictions. I just asked it if Roger would win Wimbledon, and it said no. That should mean it's in the bag for Fed. :lulz2:
Poor Tignor. He used to be regarded as the voice of reason on tennis.com. It seems he's a laughing stock with predictions nowadays. That used to be Bodo's job.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
One thing I wanted to comment on the semi, and still had no chance, is that, differently from the past, Nadal was not able to eat up Federer's slices... so either the surface is helping on that regard (lower bounce), or Nadal got worst (highly doubt), or Federer is making them go deeper (could be). They could be a factor tomorrow. Djokovic is a good slicer himself. It will be fun to see, at least for those calm enough to actually pay attention....
I noticed that too. But what I observed was that whereas in the past Rafa would go for a high bouncing topspin shot into Roger's backhand he doesn't have that out anymore. If he tries that he's likely to get a backhand taken on the bounce and drilled fast into his forehand. It was evidence of how Roger has managed to take up space in Rafa's head

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Poor Tignor. He used to be regarded as the voice of reason on tennis.com. It seems he's a laughing stock with predictions nowadays. That used to be Bodo's job.
Nah, I don't really believe that BS. I just figured it was a funny way to talk about my crappy 8 ball. Tignor is an actual tennis writer, and I'd take his predictions any day over the bookies, for example. For example, it seems that the bookies make Djokovic a heavy favorite. Whereas, most people who actually pay attention to tennis think this is a tight one to call. Speaking of Bodo...did he retire? Haven't heard from him in ages.