Davis Cup 2019, Madrid

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
DATE: November 18-24, 2019
SURFACE: Hard
FIELD SIZE: 18 Nations

Group A: France (1), Serbia (8), Japan (14)
Group B: Croatia (2), Spain (7), Russia (17)
Group C: Argentina (3), Germany (11), Chile (18)
Group D: Belgium (4), Australia (9), Colombia (15)
Group E: Great Britain (5), Kazakhstan (12), Netherlands (16)
Group F: United States (6), Italy (10), Canada (13)

The Tournament:

Unknown.jpeg
Unknown-1.jpeg

To be held 18-24 November at La Caja Magica in Madrid, the new-look Davis Cup Finals will feature 18 nations, including 2018 champion Croatia. It will take place in a group-stage format over the first four days, with the countries divided into six groups of three teams. Each tie will consist of three matches – two singles and one doubles – of best-of-three sets. The six group winners and the two second-placed teams with the best records will qualify for the knock-out quarter-finals. The semi-finals and finals will be held on Saturday and Sunday.

The six seeded nations for the Finals, who will be drawn into position 1 across Groups A-F, are:
France (1), Croatia (2), Argentina (3), Belgium (4), Great Britain (5), USA (6)

The remaining nations are ranked 7 to 18 in accordance with their Davis Cup Ranking:
Spain (7), Serbia (8), Australia (9), Italy (10), Germany (11), Kazakhstan (12), Canada (13), Japan (14), Colombia (15), Netherlands (16), Russia (17), Chile (18)

Nations ranked from 7 to 12 will be drawn randomly into Groups A-F taking position 2 in such group. Nations ranked 13 to 18 will be drawn randomly into Groups A-F, taking position 3 in such group.

About Madrid:

Madrid is the capital of Spain, a city of elegant boulevards and expansive, manicured parks such as the Buen Retiro. It was once it’s stodgy heart, as well. Not as arty and open-minded as Barcelona, it’s great rival in so many ways. Madrid is land-locked, with the Sierra Guadarrama to the north, and located on a high plane. But in the post-Franco era, it was the center of “La Movida,” the great broken-dam rush of counter-culture in the arts, youth culture and wildness that came after 40 years of repressive Fascism. While the look is still formal, the city has held onto its vibrancy and innovation from that period. Now the heart of Spanish film and fashion, and with forward-thinking foodie destinations to go along with the everyday traditional fare.

The event will be played at the Manzanares Park Tennis Center, home of the Caja Magica, where the men’s MS1000 is also played in May. It is the highest-altitude tournament of all the Masters 1000, at 677 meters/2,188 feet.

Petri, Sandra - Pano.jpg

program_spain_madrid_0904-601_engineering-and-social-sciences-th.jpg
Unknown-2.jpeg

Tourism Guide:

Attachments

• 56-283713-lavenencia-exterior.jpg
    56-283713-lavenencia-exterior.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 317
  • 490x373_toledo.jpg
    490x373_toledo.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 335
Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I did read that Spain are the betting favorites, being home team, and all. Andy is playing for Britain. Not sure if Novak is committed to play. Medvedev said he's out for Russia, and Berrettini has declined for Italy. Is Zverev playing for Germany?

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I did read that Spain are the betting favorites, being home team, and all. Andy is playing for Britain. Not sure if Novak is committed to play. Medvedev said he's out for Russia, and Berrettini has declined for Italy. Is Zverev playing for Germany?

Zverev is NOT playing for Germany.

Reactions: Moxie

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Is Switzerland not ranked high enough or the moment Roger said he will not play, its ranking tumbled to below 18?

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Is Switzerland not ranked high enough or the moment Roger said he will not play, its ranking tumbled to below 18?
Roger meanwhile is playing exhibitions in S. America with Zverev :p

Last edited:

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Are you talking DC or ATP cup?

Isn't it clear from my post. I was talking about ATP cup. I know the situation in ATP cup. I did not know about DC and so I posed the question earlier.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Isn't it clear from my post. I was talking about ATP cup. I know the situation in ATP cup. I did not know about DC and so I posed the question earlier.
Sorry, you originally asked about DC, and that's what this thread it about. I don't think you were clear, actually. Anyway, it was me conflating them the other day, so who knows, but they are one with a new format, and one completely new. They are easy to confuse, I guess.

Last edited:

Andy22

Major Winner
Reactions
nadal looks like he's going to play that's fine as long he does not over play maybe spain can win davis cup this year.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
It’s not on the Tennis Channel, and I don’t see a TV schedule on the DC website. So, it isn’t being televised?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It’s not on the Tennis Channel, and I don’t see a TV schedule on the DC website. So, it isn’t being televised?
I was just wondering the same.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I was just wondering the same.

The only info I’ve found is on the DC website, which mentions BeIN Sports as their “official media rights partner”. That’s an obscure sports channel, which I have, yet DC isn’t on their schedule! :facepalm: