2018 Wimbledon Championships - Men

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I doubt Karlovic makes it to R3 to meet Roger. He did nothing all season long and he dropped like a rock out of the top 100.
He is 39y and his results reflect that.

Reactions: kskate2

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I doubt Karlovic makes it to R3 to meet Roger. He did nothing all season long and he dropped like a rock out of the top 100. He is 39y and his results reflect that.

I agree. Just checked. He is on a five match losing streak, the latest one being in the first round of qualifying in Halle.

Chris Koziarz

Masters Champion
Reactions
Latest odds after the draw is out. I gave 12 hours for the market to digest it. Seventeen folks are deemed to have a puncher's chance (1% or better), reduced from previous 19. Only four remain as contenders (10% or more, same as before), thanks partially to Novak falling in a different quarter than the other three contenders (which was not guaranteed due to Novak's low ranking).

1. Federer 7/4 (36%)
2. Djokovic 11/2 (15%)
3. Rafa 7 (12.5%)
4. Cilic 15/2 (12%)
5. Nick / Sasha 20 (5%)
7. JMDP 22 (4%)
8. Milos / Andy 33 (3%)
10. Coric / Thiem / Dimitrov / Anderson 50 (2%)
14. Edmund / Isner / Nishikori /Goffin 100 (1%)

Next in line is a three way tie between Uncle Sam, Shapo and Kachanov at odds of 125.

Important Changes / Observations.

1. Rafa moves slightly ahead of Cilic due to favorable draw.
2. JMDP moves ahead of Milos / Andy due to their injury concerns.
3. Shapo, Uncle Sam and Kachano exit.
4. Goffin enters.
GSM's stats/observations are always very insightful & hard to disagree with. Thanks for sharing them.
So will the reality reflect the odds, i.e. will we have fed-joke or fedal final? If so, i'd prefer the former because those two didn't play since their comebacks, so such test on top of wimby would've been as telling as exciting.
However, for the most excitement, I'd like an unknown talent to come out of nowhere (like Cinderella did in RG) and turn the odds around. And be it not only a good athlete but also a smart and nice to watch guy, like fed himself came in 15y ago and dethroned pete...

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I think Fed and Cilic are shoe in for semifinals.

One of Novak or Kyrgios will be the semifinalist from third quarter.

If Rafa moves on to second week, he shall be the semifinalist from fourth quarter. Otherwise, it could almost be anybody. This is the most unpredictable quarter.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It is a curse when an off-beat pick is made by Tignor. Not when a favorite is picked. :cool:
That's a wrinkle I'd never heard, but I don't believe in the Tignor curse, so whatever works for you.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I think Fed and Cilic are shoe in for semifinals.

One of Novak or Kyrgios will be the semifinalist from third quarter.

If Rafa moves on to second week, he shall be the semifinalist from fourth quarter. Otherwise, it could almost be anybody. This is the most unpredictable quarter.

I'd say Cilic is the most shoe in of everyone. Raonic and Dinitrov seem unlikely to challenge given their current health/levels. Roger has a tougher path of Coric builds on Halle which isn't a given. And Roger needs to show Halle was a fluke regarding his level. Zverev's health is the big question mark in his quarter. Djoker has shown some small signs of life the last couple months but I don't see him as a legit contender, but he could find his way to the semi and who knows. Rafa got an absolute pancake draw considering DP's likely not healthy. He has a somewhat difficult 3rd rounder and the rest looks like cake.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Good will triumph over evil in the end. Nadal must not get his hands on the slam mark, talk about bad for the sport when he gets exposed, and that day will come.
It's sleazy and pathetic that you keep throwing in these non sequitur digs. We debate it outright and you're shown time and again that there is no leg to stand on with that. Even one of your fellow Fedfans recently said that Nadal's consistency belies it. But you cheaply keep throwing it in. It gets worse when you're nervous about the Slam race. I understand that believing fairy tales about Nadal helps you understand why he's done so much damage to Roger over the years. I don't care what helps you sleep at night, but you should keep your libelous bedtime stories to yourself. It's cheesy to slip them in like subliminal advertising.

Reactions: DarthFed

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'd say Cilic is the most shoe in of everyone. Raonic and Dinitrov seem unlikely to challenge given their current health/levels. Roger has a tougher path of Coric builds on Halle which isn't a given. And Roger needs to show Halle was a fluke regarding his level. Zverev's health is the big question mark in his quarter. Djoker has shown some small signs of life the last couple months but I don't see him as a legit contender, but he could find his way to the semi and who knows. Rafa got an absolute pancake draw considering DP's likely not healthy. He has a somewhat difficult 3rd rounder and the rest looks like cake.
I saw you or someone else question Zverev's health. Not sure what that's about. Dimitrov, for the 2nd Slam in a row, is making a lot of commies list to bomb out early, and I wouldn't question that. For sure DelPo is a bit of a question mark, but not a big one. Roanic is, though, I'd say. These are just random thoughts. I haven't weighed in on the draw. Yes, Rafa's is favorable. Djokovic's is tough. Roger's isn't a gift.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I saw you or someone else question Zverev's health. Not sure what that's about. Dimitrov, for the 2nd Slam in a row, is making a lot of commies list to bomb out early, and I wouldn't question that. For sure DelPo is a bit of a question mark, but not a big one. Roanic is, though, I'd say. These are just random thoughts. I haven't weighed in on the draw. Yes, Rafa's is favorable. Djokovic's is tough. Roger's isn't a gift.

Zverev had a hamstring injury by the end of his RG run and then got blown out by Coric in his first match in Halle. I'd say there's definite questions regarding his health.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Zverev had a hamstring injury by the end of his RG run and then got blown out by Coric in his first match in Halle. I'd say there's definite questions regarding his health.
Ah, thanks.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com

Draw for Djokovic isn't bad even though #12 seed; same section as #7 Thiem rife for upset early with those long sweeping strokes! I'm hoping Nole represents and gets at least to the Semi's; heaven knows Rafa needs more than that to get out of the early Rds! :whistle: :banghead: :cuckoo:

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Draw for Djokovic isn't bad even though #12 seed; same section as #7 Thiem rife for upset early with those long sweeping strokes! I'm hoping Nole repress
ents and gets at least to the Semi's; heaven knows Rafa needs more than that to get out of the early Rds! :whistle: :banghead: :cuckoo:

Exactly, Novak got very lucky. Being ranked #12, he could have fallen in Roger's, Cilic's or Rafa's quarter. Instead, he perfectly landed on Sasha's quarter. Not only that, even there he perfectly landed on Thiem's Octet and that is good for him as Thiem is considered less danterous than Sasha on grass. Actually, if someone got really lucky in this draw, it is Novak. There is no question about it.

Reactions: Fiero425

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
That's a wrinkle I'd never heard, but I don't believe in the Tignor curse, so whatever works for you.

It is not only something that you have heard of, it is something that you yourself propounded earlier. Now, you are trying to deny it as the end result seems unpalatable to you.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
The official schedule for the opening day will be released tomorrow. However, we know an year ago that Roger's first match will be at 1 p.m. on Monday in the center court as he is the defending champ. This is a constancy that is not assured by any other GS.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It is not only something that you have heard of, it is something that you yourself propounded earlier. Now, you are trying to deny it as the end result seems unpalatable to you.
I don't really think that's true...I've never been in any way a fan of the notion of a Tignor Curse. If I riffed off of it, it was a lampoon. I've never done anything other than make fun of that curse notion. If you've misunderstood that, that's on you.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
It's sleazy and pathetic that you keep throwing in these non sequitur digs. We debate it outright and you're shown time and again that there is no leg to stand on with that. Even one of your fellow Fedfans recently said that Nadal's consistency belies it. But you cheaply keep throwing it in. It gets worse when you're nervous about the Slam race. I understand that believing fairy tales about Nadal helps you understand why he's done so much damage to Roger over the years. I don't care what helps you sleep at night, but you should keep your libelous bedtime stories to yourself. It's cheesy to slip them in like subliminal advertising.

Subliminal advertising? You give me too much credit sometimes. But if/when it happens I will come back and rub it in unlike some of Rafa's losses.