2018 Wimbledon men’s final: Djokovic v Anderson

who wins?

• Total voters

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
I think if Anderson has enough in the tank then he can take this in 4 sets. He has all the tools that faker doesn't like plus he's mentally improved after doing the unthinkable in the QF.

However if he's on an empty tank, then faker in 3 or 4.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I find it hard to see Anderson will be able to cope with the physicality of playing Djokovic after that QF and SF. But then Novak was struggling too today.

Novak in 4. I think Kevin will manage to get a set by holding serve one full set.

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
anderson didn't play physically gruelling rallies though so although both his matches vs Fed and isner were long but we'ren't physically as taxing as say faker dull is because of long rallies. Still 11 hours maybe a step too far even with 1-2 shot rallies.

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Novak should win it in 4. He will try to improve his return game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fiero425

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Novak leads the h2h 5-1:

http://www.stevegtennis.com/head-to-head/men/Novak_Djokovic/Kevin_Anderson/

When they met here at Wimbledon in 2015 Novak came back from 2 sets down.

Big question is whether Anderson is fit enough after two gruelling 5 set back to back matches. Novak also had to spend significant time on court today.

Thing is they weren't that gruelling. They were mostly ace fests. Against Federer he lost the first set 6-2 so very little energy expended there. All matches against Federer are generally short/fast paced. The match yesterday was just ace after ace. Doubt he's gonna be as tired as Djokovic fans would like to be honest and, even if he is, he just needs to stand there and serve most of the time, especially if Novak is still stinking up the joint on return of serve :p

Reactions: nehmeth

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Thing is they weren't that gruelling. They were mostly ace fests. Against Federer he lost the first set 6-2 so very little energy expended there. All matches against Federer are generally short/fast paced. The match yesterday was just ace after ace. Doubt he's gonna be as tired as Djokovic fans would like to be honest and, even if he is, he just needs to stand there and serve most of the time, especially if Novak is still stinking up the joint on return of serve :p
I remember Isner was complete toast after the Mahut match lost very easily the next match. And KA played more games in three days than Isner did then. It’s a final yes, but he will also be moved around a lot by Novak.

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
If Croatia win WC, fakervic wins Wimpleton, Balkans will be ruling the world once more.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
I like both players so either outcome is ok for me. As I said before I think KA is much more than a big server lately so a win would do some justice to that notion. Djokovic still the favorite but KA has a shot.

And KA played more games in three days than Isner did then

Just summed up and Anderson played 166 games in two matches (three days with a day of rest in between). Isner played 183 games on that 2010 match, 138 just on the fifth set (three straight days, had to play on the next day with no day of rest, lost 0,2 and 3). So not only KA had a day of rest between his two long matches, but also has another one before the final. Still a liability but not nearly as bad as Isner in 2010.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
I remember Isner was complete toast after the Mahut match lost very easily the next match. And KA played more games in three days than Isner did then. It’s a final yes, but he will also be moved around a lot by Novak.

Not if Novak returns like today he won't :D

Reactions: Moxie and nehmeth

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

Kevin Anderson is way fitter than J.Is. Mentally - beating Fed, winning a tough semi and being in the final of Wimbledon - will affect his game more than the physical grind.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Novak was let off the hook today. I was shocked at how many of his rally shots were at the service line. I don’t know if the recent lack of big match play was the issue. We’ll find out tomorrow. He’s clearly the better player but I’ve been impressed with the massive improvement in Anderson’s mental game. It’s no gimme. Novak should win but there are just enough unknowns to make this a worthy distraction from the main dish of the day the World Cup final. If Rafa had won I might not have even bothered watching

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
My guess is that Novak comes out a little flatter than KA and then turns it around after losing the first set. People are saying KA should be worse off physically but I'm not sure, there's a world of difference between a long match full of long rallies as compared to two huge servers duking it out. This is the next big test in Nole's comeback bid, showing he can come back after a long grueling match physically and mentally and also off a huge win vs Nadal. When all is said and done the only way Nole loses this over 5 is if he donates a lot from the baseline and pushes a lot like we saw today.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kevin Anderson is way fitter than J.Is. Mentally - beating Fed, winning a tough semi and being in the final of Wimbledon - will affect his game more than the physical grind.
This is where I think Anderson benefits from the day off. Both matches were grueling emotionally and mentally. But it's Djokovic that has to come back a 3rd day in a row and manufacture intensity. That, and his ROS, Anderson could pick him off, if he comes out hot and has a big serving day.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Novak is not hitting through the court, yet. As painful as it was, I went back to watch Fed-Anderson match and I was surprised how well Kevin hit the ball from the baseline, consistently deep , pinning Roger back, not let him get the upper hand on many rallies.
This one I think sadly may come down to physical and mental exhaustion. If Kevin has recovered enough in boths aspects, he definitely has the tools to make life miserable for Novak, who is not near peak Novak yet, despite the win today. And Novak has his own physical and emotional issues to deal with.
This is a toss up so I will give the edge to Nole just because of his big stage experience and say Nole in 4. I would not be shocked if Kevin pulls this off though.

Reactions: DarthFed and Moxie

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Novak never will be the same player like he was in 2011 and 15 for different reason that I rather not to mention.
Today he has not beaten Nadal, Nadal has beaten by himself for two clearly reasons, once because his serve in the fifth set wasn't too good and second because he finished that tie-break completely melted, tired, dead, otherwise he would have won the fifth set as easier as the fourth. Novak? he never is tired, he probably is the player with more resistance of the whole tour
By the way watching the replay when he was losing 3-5 has hitting so badly and with so much anger his feet with the racket that I hope tomorrow he won't have too much pain....

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
This is where I think Anderson benefits from the day off. Both matches were grueling emotionally and mentally. But it's Djokovic that has to come back a 3rd day in a row and manufacture intensity. That, and his ROS, Anderson could pick him off, if he comes out hot and has a big serving day.

I agree and I'm glad you pointed it out. Both Djokovic's mental resilience and return of serve will be tested tomorrow. Anderson's been to a Slam final before, but this is Wimbledon. Not sure having an extra day to think about it helps him, although the rest should help his body.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I agree and I'm glad you pointed it out. Both Djokovic's mental resilience and return of serve will be tested tomorrow. Anderson's been to a Slam final before, but this is Wimbledon. Not sure having an extra day to think about it helps him, although the rest should help his body.
He has also been working on his mental game, and I think that helps. As does the extra day. After that, we'll just have to see how the games and intangibles play out. It has been a weird weekend. You still rooting for Novak? At the risk of seeming puny, I'll be pulling for Anderson. But I will say: may the best South African win. :lulz2::drums: (So much for reaching for a higher level.)