2016 NFL Playoffs

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
14345 said:
Billie wrote:
Another crazy game, Minny had it, an easy winning FG and the guy missed it. I feel for him. Seahawks were not convincing, but they got the win, that is all that matters now. I thought that Redskins had a touchdown, I had to go upstairs for a while and I missed why it didn’t count, must be some kind of penalty. Poor start for Packers but they are down 0:5 only. They have to put some points on the board ASAP.
Gotta love playoff football. I wouldn’t fancy being Blair Walsh in the Vikes locker room.
What a heartbreak for him and Vikings fans.   Although Petterson shouldn't have fumbled the ball in the play before Seattle scored a winning FG.  He had 1st down at that point and wanted to milk more yards, so they paid for it dearly.

Were you able to watch any games BB?  Are you having fun visiting homeland? :)

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
14347 said:
britbox wrote:
<blockquote>
Billie wrote:
Another crazy game, Minny had it, an easy winning FG and the guy missed it. I feel for him. Seahawks were not convincing, but they got the win, that is all that matters now. I thought that Redskins had a touchdown, I had to go upstairs for a while and I missed why it didn’t count, must be some kind of penalty. Poor start for Packers but they are down 0:5 only. They have to put some points on the board ASAP.
Gotta love playoff football. I wouldn’t fancy being Blair Walsh in the Vikes locker room.</blockquote>
What a heartbreak for him and Vikings fans. Although Petterson shouldn’t have fumbled the ball in the play before Seattle scored a winning FG. He had 1st down at that point and wanted to milk more yards, so they paid for it dearly. Were you able to watch any games BB? Are you having fun visiting homeland?
wpml_smile.gif

Great fun thanks Billie - have done loads and caught up with a lot of people.  Haven't really watched any sport other than a couple of goals on the news and likely won't watch much if any until I fly back to Oz next week.

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
All right BB.  The wild card games were exciting but there will be more games to be played.  You don't get to go back home every day so enjoy it to the max.   My guys (in football and tennis) did great yesterday. :yahoo:

Just need Packers to win tonight and I'll be 4/4 this weekend.  :)

Thank you for the gift card, still haven't figured out what to buy with it, I am short on time with tennis and football this weekend.   I will look into it next week :good:

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
That Minny game was crazy. I wanted the Vikings to win for draw purposes but if the rival team is to lose in the playoffs I'm glad it was a heartbreaking defeat. I doubt Walsh will be kicking there next year, he didn't have a good year even before that.

Packers showing some signs of life this game finally. Assuming they don't blow this they get Arizona next Saturday and that will be their end for sure.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm bummed that Washington lost.  But, Twisted, this is what you get for picking against your team.  I hope it made you happy anyway.  I'm guessing it did.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Beautiful end to the Vikings season as well :). And a surprise Packer win to cap it. Happy Sunday for a change.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
There was no reason to pick them Moxie.  They got down 11-0 quick and it seemed like par for the course.  Thats how they played the last ten weeks and out of nowhere they turned it on in a big way.  A few games is a streak but when we are talking ten games...that's a trend, a new identity.

The offensive line was the big difference. Gave Rodgers some time and opened up big holes for the running backs.  I have no delusions of grandeur after this.  Rodgers still isn't "Rodgers" and any chance at beating Arizona rests on him looking like his old self.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I'm glad the Pack showed signs of life yesterday. They were absolutely abysmal the last few weeks. Now let's see what they can do w/ the Cards.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
We all went 3-1 except for AP (4-0) who picked every game correctly :clap

Now we move on to the Division games. Make your predictions!

Division Saturday
Chiefs @ Patriots - 4:35 EST on CBS
Packers @ Cardinals - 8:15 EST on NBC

Division Sunday
Seahawks @ Panthers - 1:05 EST on FOX
Steelers @ Broncos - 4:40 EST on CBS

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
The truth is I was rooting for the Vikings yesterday for a couple reasons:

1. Packers have a better chance against Carolina and
2. Vikings match up better with Arizona than GB does

But with that said if the fierce rival is to lose it's best that they lose in absolutely heartbreaking fashion:)

As for the games:

Chiefs @ Pats - Still got to go with the Pats. It's Brady vs. Smith and Maclin is hurt.
Steelers @ Denver - Very tough one to call. Pittsburgh is pretty beat up but I assume Brown and Big Ben will go. I will still pick the home team. I have a feeling Manning is going to show up decent for these playoffs and I'd be happy to see them make the SB.

Seahawks @ Panthers - Going with Seattle. Records be damned this time of year when you talk about playoff experience and then analyze both rosters I see a lot of advantages for Seattle. Main advantage for Carolina is HFA but I don't think that will be enough.

Packers @ Cards - Packers offensive line was the difference yesterday. After being dismal most of the year they were great yesterday. Rodgers still doesn't look good, these receivers still aren't dynamic enough and I don't see them beating Arizona. They will need some turnovers and/or Rodgers coming to life again or a couple hundred yards rushing vs. a great defense. I don't see it being 38-8 this time but they will still lose.

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
^^ There were reasons to pick Packers, twisted.  I switched my vote to them because they are more experienced, team that went to playoffs a lot more than Redskins.  This was Cousins first playoff start and I figured that the nerves would play a part in this.  It's not like Packers forgot how to play or didn't have enough to fight at least in the 1st round of the playoffs.  Playoff games are more intense than regular games.  Finally Rodgers and the guys knew that that game meant the end of the season, if they didn't show some resolve.   Anyway I know you are happy about it. :)

Standings after the wild card round:

Billie 4

twisted 3

Moxie, britbox, Edbergs Ghost 2

So divisional round match ups:

Chiefs at Patriots

Packers at Cardinals

Seahawks at Panthers

Steelers at Broncos

I'll think about these for a little bit, let's see who won't be playing for their teams, what the weather is going to be like...etc

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I know what you're saying Billie but regular season play and momentum are still big things to consider.  The Packers won as a 6 seed in 2010 and are a 5 seed this year but that's where the comparisons end.  That 2010 team closed out the regular season well and was one that everyone knew was very dangerous going into the playoffs.  Most people thought the mediocre Redskins would be able to knock GB off this year especially when they jumped out to an 11-0 lead quickly.  Maybe they finally found some resolve but I think most of the difference was the offensive line was DOMINANT after being DOMINATED for most of this season.  So we will see this week if it was just a blip or if the O-line is suddenly going to perform well.  The other option is Rodgers turns back into Superman in which case he can dominate even with a poor offensive line but after 10+ weeks of poor play I just don't see it happening this year.  He wasn't exactly lights out last week despite getting good protection for a change.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Chiefs at Patriots - Patriots - Road ends here for KC.

Packers at Cardinals - Green Bay to edge it.

Seahawks at Panthers - Seattle to bring the Panther juggernaught to an end.

Steelers at Broncos - Always like the Donkeys on Home Turf, so Denver it is.

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
14430 said:
I know what you’re saying Billie but regular season play and momentum are still big things to consider. The Packers won as a 6 seed in 2010 and are a 5 seed this year but that’s where the comparisons end. That 2010 team closed out the regular season well and was one that everyone knew was very dangerous going into the playoffs. Most people thought the mediocre Redskins would be able to knock GB off this year especially when they jumped out to an 11-0 lead quickly. Maybe they finally found some resolve but I think most of the difference was the offensive line was DOMINANT after being DOMINATED for most of this season. So we will see this week if it was just a blip or if the O-line is suddenly going to perform well. The other option is Rodgers turns back into Superman in which case he can dominate even with a poor offensive line but after 10+ weeks of poor play I just don’t see it happening this year. He wasn’t exactly lights out last week despite getting good protection for a change.

I don't mean any offense to Redskins (really, Moxie), but Packers are a proven playoffs team, while Redskins were not.  I was just talking about that match.  The main reason I switched and picked them to win.   I think you are too emotionally involved so sometimes you over-react when it comes to them (also not meant as any kind of offense) :)

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
14440 said:
Chiefs at Patriots – Patriots – Road ends here for KC. Packers at Cardinals – Green Bay to edge it. Seahawks at Panthers – Seattle to bring the Panther juggernaught to an end. Steelers at Broncos – Always like the Donkeys on Home Turf, so Denver it is.

Hi BB....I have a feeling your and my picks are going to be different ;-)  This time I am gonna go with "heart" more than "head" B-)

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Sounds like Big Ben might not play and Antonio Brown is likely out.

So for now I'm picking as follows:

Steelers @ Denver - If both those guys were healthy I'd take Pitt. As it stands Denver

Kansas City @ New England - Got to take New England.  Maclin is not 100% and it's Brady at home vs. Smith.  Hard to bet against New England in the weak AFC

GB @ Arizona - Still a pretty easy pick here in Arizona.  The onus is on the Packers to prove that performance against the mediocre Redskins wasn't a blip.  The key is the offensive line, they might as well have been invisible a few weeks ago when they gave up 8 sacks in a 38-8 drubbing vs. this same team.  If they can protect Rodgers this will be much closer this time but still got to pick the Cards.

Seattle @ Carolina - Carolina is 15-1 but when you compare the rosters top to bottom you won't find many advantages that they hold over the much more experienced Seahawks.  The main advantage is home field advantage but I don't think that will be enough.  Seattle wins this.

I.Haychew

Major Winner
Reactions
I'll take the Chicken-parm-you-taste-so-goods over Shittsburgh, the Chefs over the Belly chicks, the Aryan Nation over the Discount Double Checks, and...

...Who's that bad man gettin' his smoothie on? Who's that bad man gettin' his feet wet? This is Russell Wilson country! This is Russell Wilson air! Whose birds are these? These are Russell Wilson's birds! It's time for Spam Newton to get out of Russell Wilson country (which is everywhere) and to stop breathing the bad man's air. GO SEAHAWKS!!!

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
14474 said:
I’ll take the Chicken-parm-you-taste-so-goods over Shittsburgh, the Chefs over the Belly chicks, the Aryan Nation over the Discount Double Checks, and… …Who’s that bad man gettin’ his smoothie on? Who’s that bad man gettin’ his feet wet? This is Russell Wilson country! This is Russell Wilson air! Whose birds are these? These are Russell Wilson’s birds! It’s time for Spam Newton to get out of Russell Wilson country (which is everywhere) and to stop breathing the bad man’s air. GO SEAHAWKS!!!

LOL When my sister and I watched that commercial for the first time, she was so confused (not knowing who Russell Wilson is).  So I told her and now she knows 2 NFL players.  I like them but I am still not sold on picking them to win on Sunday.  I am sold on Broncos so far only.

I am always happy to see you post :yahoo:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
14449 said:
Twisted wrote:
I know what you’re saying Billie but regular season play and momentum are still big things to consider. The Packers won as a 6 seed in 2010 and are a 5 seed this year but that’s where the comparisons end. That 2010 team closed out the regular season well and was one that everyone knew was very dangerous going into the playoffs. Most people thought the mediocre Redskins would be able to knock GB off this year especially when they jumped out to an 11-0 lead quickly. Maybe they finally found some resolve but I think most of the difference was the offensive line was DOMINANT after being DOMINATED for most of this season. So we will see this week if it was just a blip or if the O-line is suddenly going to perform well. The other option is Rodgers turns back into Superman in which case he can dominate even with a poor offensive line but after 10+ weeks of poor play I just don’t see it happening this year. He wasn’t exactly lights out last week despite getting good protection for a change.
I don’t mean any offense to Redskins (really, Moxie), but Packers are a proven playoffs team, while Redskins were not. I was just talking about that match. The main reason I switched and picked them to win. I think you are too emotionally involved so sometimes you over-react when it comes to them (also not meant as any kind of offense)
wpml_smile.gif
I'm not at all emotionally involved, tbh.  I'm from DC originally, though, so I picked Redskins.  I'm pretty sure I didn't overreact in any way. I barely even watch US football, tbh.  :)  However, since I don't much care, I pick with teams I like, or cities I have friends in.  On that note, my choices:

Patriots, Packers, Seattle, Denver...all purely based on personal bias.  And come what may.

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
^^^ Absolutely Moxie.  I have nothing against people picking their favourites.  I do it all the time, against sound reason, but I can't help it.  It is all in fun, anyway.  :)

I think this year I watched as many football games as in all previous seasons.  Which is to say that I really didn't watch it before at all, Superbowl and that was pretty much it. ;-)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
kskate2 Other Sports 229
DarthFed Other Sports 15
the AntiPusher Other Sports 8
britbox Other Sports 224
britbox Other Sports 228