Reactions
Who do you got?

I got Djokovic in four sets.

August

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Website
augustonsports.blogspot.com
I had a bold prediction of Stan beating Andy in five. Well, that wasn't enough bold, he won in three. Nole is a bit better than Andy. So Stan in 4. That could've happened at the AO had Stan been able to win the 2nd set.

Anyway, I'd like Stan to reach the final but assuming Rafa beats Gasquet, Nole-Rafa would be the more competitive final.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Based on their match in Oz, I'm going with Novak in 4. Unlike Andy, he's doesn't mind Stan's heavy shot. Stan is playing well, and if he can manage his nerves it will be very competitive.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think Nole takes it in 4. Novak has won the last 11 and while Stan played a great match at the AO, that just means novak will be more vigilant.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
could big stan reach the final..:idea:

will novaks new coaching guru help the inside of his head :huh:

still it'll be nice to watch a swiss top10 player with a non shanking one handed bh for a change :D :laydownlaughing

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I went for Novak in 4. I think Stan is very motivated, but that'll only take him to 4, at best.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I agree with most posters here: No1e in 4. Djokovic looked like he is fired up. No surprises this time, although it will not come easy. Expecting some amazing points and a relatively tight match.

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
They played at USO lats year and Nole won in 2.5 sets and I imagine something similar may happen this year too.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Stan has had an amazing run and shouldn't be the least bit tired either and playing Nole so close at AO could help. Djokovic seems to be in deadly form and the way he played the 4th set after a disappointing 3rd set shows he is focused which has been a problem this year especially. Nole in 4.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Nole in three. Nole last a set to Youzhny by not being fully alert. He will not do that
tomorrow. Given the Oz scare, He would be extremely focused throughout the match
and so will get it done in three.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Nole in three. Nole last a set to Youzhny by not being fully alert. He will not do that
tomorrow. Given the Oz scare, He would be extremely focused throughout the match
and so will get it done in three.

Nole lost that 3rd set because the crowd took him out. If Stan gets going early and involves the crowd, this could be a 5-setter, (more likely 4,) but if Novak puts the hammer down quick, he'll get it done in 3. Either way, he wins, IMO.

masterclass

Masters Champion
Reactions
[Blog Entry] Masterclass Match of the Day - Novak Djokovic vs. Stanislas Wawrinka
A Breathe of Fresh Air, Or The Same Old Song?

As we approach the business end of the US Open, some of the same top names appear in the semifinal matches. Race to London leader and world #2 Rafael Nadal continues to be on a tear, and the current #1 player in the world, Novak Djokovic, marches on. But their opponents are in rather new territory for them. Current world #8, Richard Gasquet has never made it past the round of 16 at the US Open, and has only made it to the semifinals of a major once in his career at Wimbledon 2007. He has the tough task of taking on Rafael Nadal. Stanislas Wawrinka has never made it past the quarterfinals of any major and faces Novak Djokovic, but I believe Stan's recent play this year warrants him having a fair chance of upsetting the world #1 of the last 2 years.

Let me put it this way; I wouldn't put my own money on this match if I were a betting man. But if I had some money given to me, I would put it on Stan Wawrinka and hope he plays as well as he did against Andy Murray.

Novak Djokovic has certainly dominated their head to head matches in the past, but every match is different.

Based on their prior record, few if any would have picked Stan to come as close as he did in Australia to removing the 3 time Plexicushion prize-winner from the premises.

I think these days the US Open Arthur Ashe surface unfortunately plays only slightly faster than the Australian Open's Rod Laver Arena. It seems to have a little less grit and not quite as high a bounce. I don't see Djokovic sliding as much in New York as in Melbourne. I think this will reduce Novak's ability to defend as well as he does down under.

Novak has been prone to concentration lapses this year. Hard courts are no longer a bastion of certainty for him as they had been for the most part since 2011. How has he done on hard courts this year?

He started out extremely well by winning the Australian Open and Dubai. But then something happened. He allowed Juan Martin Del Potro to come from behind and beat him in the semifinals at Indian Wells, and followed that up with a round of 16 straight set loss to Tommy Haas. His next hard court tourney was in Montreal, where he lost to Nadal in 3 sets in the semis, and followed that up with a 3 set loss in Cincinnati to John Isner.

Again, every match is different. But Djokovic's recent trend does not bode as well for him.
Thus far at the US Open, he has not played any difficult opponents, easily beating unseeded opponents, Berankis, Becker, Sousa, Granollers, and #21 seed, Mikhail Youzhny in 4 sets. I think the rather weak draw thus far might not be to his benefit.

Wawrinka had not played that much on hard courts this year, choosing to focus on clay. Aside from his round of 16 loss to Djokovic at the Australian Open, lost a tough one to Federer in the round of 16 in 3 sets at Indian Wells, and lost to Paire and Robredo in the round of 32 at both Montreal and Cincinnati. So his preparation for the US Open definitely had been light.

However, thus far in the US Open, his path has been rather difficult and I believe it has only benefited him and he has improved his play as the tournament has progressed. He beat Stepanek while dropping a set, defeated a tough Karlovic in a not so easy 3 sets, held off a tenacious Baghdatis in 4 sets, stepped it up another level to down Berdych who had been playing very well, and as many saw, played a very intelligent and strong match to down Andy Murray in 3 sets. Thus, I feel Stan Wawrinka is much better prepared in terms of his play for this match with Djokovic.

I think the match up is quite similar as to the one with Andy. Stan must play with variety to Djokovic as he did with Murray, and not let Djokovic get into any good rhythm. I think Stan would do better to go to body serves against Djokovic. Djokovic stretches so well to get to balls. Nole must try to get Stan into a power struggle from the baseline for him to have a good chance.

Andy beat Novak last year in 5 sets at the US Open.
Stan beat Andy this year in 3 sets.

I believe Stan could force No1e out in 3 or 4 sets if he plays like he has been considering the level of opponents they have both played and their level during this tournament and if he can use similar tactics and execution as he did against Murray.

The only problem with Stan is lack of a strong mental stability. He has been known to suddenly go walkabout or get down on himself and go away in a match. Additionally, one cannot be certain that he will not have a bit of let down after beating Andy. These are the chief reasons why I would not bet money on the match, if I were a betting man. Also, No1e has been known to raise his game occasionally and refuse to lose. So though I stick by my call, I would never be surprised to see Novak Djokovic win.

As always I hope for a good, entertaining match and wish good luck to both players and their fans!

Respectfully,
masterclass

tented

Administrator
Reactions
We're going to open the Chatroom in a couple of minutes. Please join us there to comment during the match.

It can be accessed by clicking on the green plus sign in the bottom left corner of your browser.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
2013 US Open SF: Azarenka vs. Pennetta

hello everyone. Are we ready for mens SF?