2013 US Open SF: Djokovic vs. Wawrinka

Who wins?

• Total voters

masterclass

Masters Champion
Reactions
Well that's done. No1e comes from behind and wins in a tight 5 sets 2-6, 7-6 (4), 3-6, 6-3, 6-4.

Stan looked like he did against Murray for most of the first 3 sets and maybe was a bit unfortunate to not take it in 3 with a tiebreak loss in the second set after being up a break at 4-3 in the set and losing the break. Stan played very well to take the 3rd set, but then had a bit of a letdown I think at the beginning of the 4th set, getting broken in his opening service game, that was enough for No1e to take the 4th set.

Stan also appeared to suffer a groin or upper thigh injury at 1-4 in that set that sent him off court for a Medical Time Out. He seemed to not being moving well to the right and for lower shots for a few games after that. In the 5th set, the longest game of the tournament was played lasting almost 21 minutes on the Wawrinka serve. Wawrinka eventually held to go up 2-1, but it appeared that it took too much out of him, and he was broken on his next service game, and Nole ended up serving it out to win the match.

Nole did not look good at all in the 1st set, but finally stepped it up half way in the second. His 1st serve improved as well, and by the 4th set, he was playing quite well and seemed stronger at the end of the match. Incredible stamina from Djokovic as Wawrinka was definitely tired after the long game. Stan really couldn't afford to play his patient game anymore. He was going for winners at every opportunity. Novak was patient though, and waited Stan out, and after he broke Stan to go up 3-2, he never looked back. As Stan said in the on-court interview, "It was a great tournament for me. I gave everything but he is very* strong".
* replace with the f-word.

Congratulations to Novak and his fans, and commiserations to Stan and his fans. It turned out to be an entertaining match.

I got my prediction wrong, :) but again, Wawrinka did have his chances to pull off the upset, but couldn't quite come up with the goods when he had the chance. You have to take those chances when you get them against the best players. If not, well you saw what happened.

Respectfully,
masterclasss

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Luxilon Borg said:
How do we get Marvin Carillo to keep quiet? His faux poignancy is sickening.

The day ESPN fired him was a day to celebrate. Now we are stuck with him on CBS and TC.

mary carillo lolz I come across her a lot on youtube matches..she says stuff like..

"and eeevan (lendl) will be getting a whole bunch of looks at mcenroes 2nd serve, he really will"

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
masterclass said:
Well that's done. No1e comes from behind and wins in a tight 5 sets 2-6, 7-6 (4), 3-6, 6-3, 6-4.

Stan looked like he did against Murray for most of the first 3 sets and maybe was a bit unfortunate to not take it in 3 with a tiebreak loss in the second set after being up a break at 4-3 in the set and losing the break. Stan played very well to take the 3rd set, but then had a bit of a letdown I think at the beginning of the 4th set, getting broken in his opening service game, that was enough for No1e to take the 4th set.

Stan also appeared to suffer a groin or upper thigh injury at 1-4 in that set that sent him off court for a Medical Time Out. He seemed to not being moving well to the right and for lower shots for a few games after that. In the 5th set, the longest game of the tournament was played lasting almost 21 minutes on the Wawrinka serve. Wawrinka eventually held to go up 2-1, but it appeared that it took too much out of him, and he was broken on his next service game, and Nole ended up serving it out to win the match.

Nole did not look good at all in the 1st set, but finally stepped it up half way in the second. His 1st serve improved as well, and by the 4th set, he was playing quite well and seemed stronger at the end of the match. Incredible stamina from Djokovic as Wawrinka was definitely tired after the long game. Stan really couldn't afford to play his patient game anymore. He was going for winners at every opportunity. Novak was patient though, and waited Stan out, and after he broke Stan to go up 3-2, he never looked back. As Stan said in the on-court interview, "It was a great tournament for me. I gave everything but he is very* strong".
* replace with the f-word.

Congratulations to Novak and his fans, and commiserations to Stan and his fans. It turned out to be an entertaining match.

I got my prediction wrong, :) but again, Wawrinka did have his chances to pull off the upset, but couldn't quite come up with the goods when he had the chance. You have to take those chances when you get them against the best players. If not, well you saw what happened.

Respectfully,
masterclasss

Good overview of the match, MC. TBH, if Stan hadn't been injured, he might have pulled off the upset. As it is, though, we get the heavy-weight final we were hoping for.