Football (Soccer)

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Wales need to put some wins together. I think Serbia will qualify and it will be between Wales and Ireland who will probably do enough to go through as one of the best runners up. We punched way above our weight at the Euros... but still haven't been to a world cup since the 1950s.

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
Wales need to put some wins together. I think Serbia will qualify and it will be between Wales and Ireland who will probably do enough to go through as one of the best runners up. We punched way above our weight at the Euros... but still haven't been to a world cup since the 1950s.

I think the group is very even and pretty much every team has a chance. As for the match, Serbian fans ask a question?

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
There it is 1:1 final between Wales and Serbia, I thought that was a fair result. Bless Canada, they have all these games live on different sports channels.

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
I missed it Billie. Just reading reports and will check out highlights later.

I usually miss these as well as I don't keep track of football that much anymore. But somebody called and said it was on. Pretty even in possession time and shots on goal. Poor #10 Tadic was bleeding profusely and has a broken nose due to being hit by a high boot by Taylor, but he kept playing on, very courageously to me. And after Bale hit a post therefore missing the goal and giving Wales 2:0 lead, the other side scored the equalizer on the very next possession.

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
Hey @britbox are the Welsh footballers always this brutal or this was a special occasion with obviously bought referees? I don't remember seeing nearly as much blood in any football match, rugby would be ok. This is an interview with Southampton's midfielder's parents whose nose was broken. His mother said she cried during the match hoping her son will stay alive while his (player's) sons wanted to be in Cardiff to beat Welsh footballers. The article is titled "They killed our kid"

http://sport.blic.rs/fudbal/domaci-...su-ga-kao-vola-u-kupusu-mucno-je-bilo/nj45whf

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Don't know whether to applaud Barcelona yesterday or be disgusted with PSG. Probably a bit of both..

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Don't know whether to applaud Barcelona yesterday or be disgusted with PSG. Probably a bit of both..
Incredible finale. Credit to Barca for keeping coming... but PSG :facepalm: if failing to protect a 4 goal wasn't bad enough... they shipped 3 goals after getting the away goal.... Appalling.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Yes indeed. It's so bizarre it almost seems dodgy to me. I won't lie! Wonder whether Enrique will stay on now

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
I do not care too much about football anymore, but just to remind everyone that the rest of the world is fighting for second place in the next world cup. Finally Brazil got rid of some of our corruption/incompetence and the National Team is doing the basics again. They got rid of a coach from the rigged era (Dunga), put in place the guy who was winning in club level and the result is that the team just does not lose, either in friendly or in qualifying for world cup. 8 straight wins, something far above we ever achieved, even in Pelé days, or in 81 (which featured the "complete" 82 team, since the two strikers in 82 were the alternates, the starters were out due to injury, so yes, that team could be even better).

If I am not mistaken the team scored 28 times and took only two goals in these last 8 matches in the qualifiers.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I do not care too much about football anymore, but just to remind everyone that the rest of the world is fighting for second place in the next world cup. Finally Brazil got rid of some of our corruption/incompetence and the National Team is doing the basics again. They got rid of a coach from the rigged era (Dunga), put in place the guy who was winning in club level and the result is that the team just does not lose, either in friendly or in qualifying for world cup. 8 straight wins, something far above we ever achieved, even in Pelé days, or in 81 (which featured the "complete" 82 team, since the two strikers in 82 were the alternates, the starters were out due to injury, so yes, that team could be even better).

If I am not mistaken the team scored 28 times and took only two goals in these last 8 matches in the qualifiers.

Until Brazil proves themselves in the world cup, I'll remain sceptical. I still remember that match against Germany. I had a bottle of beer open, but forgot to drink it because of my shock.

N

Nekro

Good for you, our team lost to Portugal a few days ago so bye bye world cup dreams.

If we want world cup glory we have to dig up the Aranycsapat and Puskás again and again.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Until Brazil proves themselves in the world cup, I'll remain sceptical. I still remember that match against Germany. I had a bottle of beer open, but forgot to drink it because of my shock.

I wasn´t all that shocked. My prediction to that match was 4x0 Germany. The last decent Brazilian national team was in 1986. The rest was crap. We had the occasional wins due to some individual players (like Romario in 1994) and to very strange circumstances (like 2002, I bet someone payed Kahn to take those goals on the final match).

And I forgot, Brazil even won Olympic football, something we have not been able to do all those years.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Good for you, our team lost to Portugal a few days ago so bye bye world cup dreams.

If we want world cup glory we have to dig up the Aranycsapat and Puskás again and again.

Too bad. I have a soft spot for Eastern European football. It begins with Hungary back in the fifties of course, but from the ones I saw playing, Romania and Bulgaria in the 90´s were fantastic. I still cannot understand how Romania lost to that shitty Swedish team in the 94 world cup.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I wasn´t all that shocked. My prediction to that match was 4x0 Germany. The last decent Brazilian national team was in 1986. The rest was crap. We had the occasional wins due to some individual players (like Romario in 1994) and to very strange circumstances (like 2002, I bet someone payed Kahn to take those goals on the final match).

And I forgot, Brazil even won Olympic football, something we have not been able to do all those years.

That's fair. I thought Brazil would lose. It was the performance and the lack of fight that shocked me. I'd just flown back from Salvador where I watched 5 matches. I think Neymar would have at least presented Germany with a threat and could have helped hold the score down, but Brazil was always going to lose that match (should have lost their first match if I recall). Still, I'm happy to see Brazil getting back to their rightful place in World soccer. It's not the same when they aren't a force. Football has become a little too European in my view. I haven't really watched them during their recovery, do they still have some samba in them, or are they just a really good European style outfit now?

N

Nekro

I still cannot understand how Romania lost to that shitty Swedish team in the 94 world cup.
It was bad luck they got that goal in the last min.

BTW Daniel Prodan, the Romanian star of that world cup, died last year of heart attack, he was 44.

Prodan.jpg

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
do they still have some samba in them, or are they just a really good European style outfit now?

I am far from a patriotic man but I had shivers just to read that question. Tactical discipline, yes, but far from European style. It is inherent to our football.

Reactions: Federberg

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
It was bad luck they got that goal in the last min.

BTW Daniel Prodan, the Romanian star of that world cup, died last year of heart attack, he was 44.

No, it wasn´t bad luck... it was an stupid and classical mistake (I am rolling back the years now). I remember I was rooting heavily for Romania in that world cup. They were 28374632864 times better than Sweden, and should have won in the 90 minutes. Sweden had just ONE play. When the extra time was ending, Romania started to retreat more and more, and commit stupid fouls close to the midfield -- I started to scream in front of the TV "You will give them the chance to make their only fucking play". Said and done. I can´t recall perfectly, but I am sure I broke something. Maybe the TV set.

I heard about Prodan. Too damn too young...