Football (Soccer)

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I know Mourinho's stock is at an all time low but I think it's worth the gamble. Like I said a few months ago in this thread, his meltdown with Chelsea is utterly embarrassing and the way he conducted himself was shameful, but he's still one of the best coaches ever and now would be a good time for Manchester United to start getting really desperate.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
United look unrecognisable - dull as.

By the way, did you see the Messi penalty...

That whole second half display by Barca was an absolute joke. Legitimately one of the best 45 minutes of football I've seen in the past few years. It's almost illegal to have so much talent at your disposal. I was actually thinking about this recently: I think Lionel Messi is the best finisher, passer and dribbler that I've ever seen, and probably has the best first touch too. Those are quite literally the 4 most important aspects of being a great offensive player. To be both the best scorer and the best playmaker in football is unheard of. Again, it's unfair to be this good.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Messi has put himself on a pedestal for the current era, albeit he his surrounded by some great players. I love Suarez man, despite his legacy of antics. He's top drawer. Liverpool missed him really badly when he left - not just his own contribution but because he made the players around him so much better.

The Messi pen amazed me to be honest... First thought ws- Is he ALLOWED to do that? I've never seen it before EVER.... but yeah, all legal. I'm pretty sure we're going to see others do it this year.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Guys, who's going to win the Premier League?

Leicester have topped the table for a long time now. Remarkable. 53 points, 2 points clear of Arsenal and Spurs(51) with 12 games to play. City in 4th on 47 pts.

United are out of it really, 12 points back on 41 pts.

I actually think City will still win the title, but I'd like to see Spurs win their first league title since 1960/61 season. Spurs were always my favourite London club, and massively underachieved for years considering the size of the club. I'm sure @Federberg (Spurs fan) is beginning to get excited.

Attachments

• upload_2016-2-18_23-10-9.png
    upload_2016-2-18_23-10-9.png
    4 KB · Views: 115
    1.9 KB · Views: 146
    4.1 KB · Views: 118
    4.3 KB · Views: 123

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I was gutted for Leicester after conceding that last second goal against Arsenal. Could have a huge psychological impact on them. I didn't think they would be able to hold on to that first place even with a positive result in that match anyway, but now it's all the more difficult. I never trust Arsenal, but City have been so inconsistent. I think it's between one of these two teams though you gotta admire what Pochettino has been able to achieve with the Spurs.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
If Leicester DID win the title it would be a massive fairytale story considering the resources. I will preface my hope for Spurs to win it, with the proviso that if Leicester do not. The Premier League is pretty weak at the top end compared to the other major European leagues right now.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Liverpool / Man United drawn together in the Europa League - makes this tournament immediately interesting:

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Liverpool v Man City, League Cup Final - Feb 28, 2016

Liverpool's have the chance to claim some silverware in the English league Cup Final v Man City. The third most prestigious trophy after the Premier League and FA Cup.

City will start favourites, but Liverpool beat them 4-1 at City's place earlier this season in the Premier League.

Hope this is the start of a resurgence. @atttomole

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well, the first leg of the Battle of Britain in the Europa League went Liverpool's way... so a happy Britbox household today.

In truth, Manchester United were flat out terrible.

I know @atttomole is a fan... Any other Liverpool reds on the board?

Sing along with the family brothers (and sisters)...

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm officially not thinking about football for the rest of the week! I know we fielded a weakened side against Dortmund, but still...

This weekend is all about England vs Wales and the start of the Candidates chess in Moscow for me!

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm officially not thinking about football for the rest of the week! I know we fielded a weakened side against Dortmund, but still...

This weekend is all about England vs Wales and the start of the Candidates chess in Moscow for me!

Federberg... we'll revive the Rugby thread!! I'm on a double header this weekend and Liverpool/United was the first part, but Wales/England is always massive for me.

Reactions: Federberg

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
My heart is still broken over Juve's loss to Bayern. I forgot sports can still make me feel like that.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Dutch legend Johann Cruyff, one of the greatest footballers of all time and a great coach/manager also, has passed away at the age of the 68.

His contribution to the sport was phenomenal.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
UEFA looking at charging Liverpool because of fans with singing "Manchester is full of shit" is one of the most stupid things I've ever read about Europe's governing body...

http://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/4075...ester-is-full-of-sh-chant-but-ignore-songs-on

I'd have far more respect for them if they'd charged both clubs about singing Munich, Hillsborough and Heysel songs.

Otherwise, they are setting a precedent for charging clubs over chanting every single week.