Soccer/Football, The Beautiful Game

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
I know there are some fans here and I thought we could discuss Champions league, or our favourite teams, everything football here. Here is one of my favorite Messi goals to get things started:

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOWrtCOMxto[/video]

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
..and another 4 goal victory, 4-1 this time, for Dortmund. It sure does feel like a shift in power a little bit, from Spain to Germany, even though it is club football. Real has to score 3 without conceding to advance. Again, not impossible, but man, tough...

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Germany 8, Espagne 1.

Why did I not see this coming, eh? I think the level of the two German clubs was stupendous, from their dynamism to their ideas. The Spaniards looked jaded and lost beside them. Madrid were clueless in the second half tonight, but the four-goal wonderboy Lewandowski was extraordinary. He put me in mind of a cross between Ian Rush and Der Bomber.

Are the Spanish sides finished?

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kieran said:
Germany 8, Espagne 1.

Why did I not see this coming, eh? I think the level of the two German clubs was stupendous, from their dynamism to their ideas. The Spaniards looked jaded and lost beside them. Madrid were clueless in the second half tonight, but the four-goal wonderboy Lewandowski was extraordinary. He put me in mind of a cross between Ian Rush and Der Bomber.

Are the Spanish sides finished?

no they are not Barcelona didn't have messi and in the 1st leg he wasn't fit enough to do anything...and they need to stop playing guys as centre backs who are not (mascerano)..and why they don.t use cristian tello more often is puzzling.

1972Murat said:
I know there are some fans here and I thought we could discuss Champions league, or our favourite teams, everything football here. Here is one of my favorite Messi goals to get things started:

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOWrtCOMxto[/video]

Messi-iah. :)

Barcelona will rise again..messi, tello, neymar, bale ??, couple of central defenders, and fings will be ok.

Didi

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
ManUnited just confirmed on their official site that Alex Ferguson will retire at the end of this season. Wow, this is shocking because it's surprising. I mean he was going to retire within the next 2-3 years anyway but nobody saw it coming right now. Only some days ago he talked about new transfer targets and that he's going nowhere, that he still has unfinished business etc. Now it seems it was planned a long time ago. I will miss him, his legendary interviews, the way he bullied the media, refs and journos. A legend. Wonder who's going to replace him. My guess is David Moyes.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I heard Rafa Benitez is being seriously considered. :p

Seriously though, it's a huge shock and the guy has done everything more than once. He stands in the English game like Busby and Shanks and Paisley. He towers over the modern game: look how many rivals he's seen come and go. I hope he has a happy and healthy retirement, because it can't be easy to just switch off and play a round of golf at the time you'd usually be bawling out Rooney...

Johnsteinbeck

Major Winner
Reactions
^ well put ;)
Sir Alex - so much of a legend that it actually feels Right to use the 'sir'.

@Didi - Moyes would be the perfect choice, for sure. i'd love for him to do it.

i wonder if the chewing gum industry is worried about this.

Didi

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Tennisman12345 said:
Anyone excited for Champions league final ?

These two are... :laydownlaughing

Such a shame Gotze is not able to play, so it all comes down to Gundogan in front of Bender and Sahin. That's my guess. That should still be a strong enough foundation to provide cover for Reus, Kuba and Lewandowski. Had Kagawa not left them for ManUnited, the loss of Gotze wouldn't carry any weight at all. Hummels is also not really fit and still questionable for the final. We will see.

Dortmund has been Bayern's boogeyman over the last 2-3 years but I cannot see Bayern losing this. They have been an incredibly well oiled machine this season with fantastic off the ball movement, relentless pressure, fascinating work ethic and team spirit and efficient counterattacks. Even Robben and Ribery tracked back a lot. You don't beat Juventus 4-0, Barca 7-0 and finish the Bundesliga with 25 points above Dortmund for no reason.

Schweini/Martinez is a physically tough central midfield that you simply can't overrun and it's tough to beat them on the flanks with Alaba and Lahm positioning and defending like no other fullback duo in the world. Dante in the middle is a rock. Up front Muller and Mandzukic move a lot off the ball to draw defenders out of the box to create spaces. They are unpredictable.

I still have some hopes though as Dortmund has been able to keep Ribery and Robben at bay in the past due to their ability to move and defend as a unit against the ball and putting Bayern's midfield under pressure. Pisczek's role was the most vital and will be again. Dortmund's left flank is their weak spot but Hummels and Subotic have been able to make up for that. Weidenfeller vs. Neuer is a toss-up in my opinion. Both had a great season and are absolutely equal. Weide has been tested a lot more though and kept Dortmund in many games this season.

It's also comes down to Henyckes vs. Klopp. Both are great tacticians who drilled their teams to perfection. Heart says and wants Dortmund, head says 3-1 to Bayern. Hey Britbox what do the British people say about an all german final in Wembley? Nightmare? :D

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Didi said:
Tennisman12345 said:
Anyone excited for Champions league final ?

These two are... :laydownlaughing

Such a shame Gotze is not able to play, so it all comes down to Gundogan in front of Bender and Sahin. That's my guess. That should still be a strong enough foundation to provide cover for Reus, Kuba and Lewandowski. Had Kagawa not left them for ManUnited, the loss of Gotze wouldn't carry any weight at all. Hummels is also not really fit and still questionable for the final. We will see.

Dortmund has been Bayern's boogeyman over the last 2-3 years but I cannot see Bayern losing this. They have been an incredibly well oiled machine this season with fantastic off the ball movement, relentless pressure, fascinating work ethic and team spirit and efficient counterattacks. Even Robben and Ribery tracked back a lot. You don't beat Juventus 4-0, Barca 7-0 and finish the Bundesliga with 25 points above Dortmund for no reason.

Schweini/Martinez is a physically tough central midfield that you simply can't overrun and it's tough to beat them on the flanks with Alaba and Lahm positioning and defending like no other fullback duo in the world. Dante in the middle is a rock. Up front Muller and Mandzukic move a lot off the ball to draw defenders out of the box to create spaces. They are unpredictable.

I still have some hopes though as Dortmund has been able to keep Ribery and Robben at bay in the past due to their ability to move and defend as a unit against the ball and putting Bayern's midfield under pressure. Pisczek's role was the most vital and will be again. Dortmund's left flank is their weak spot but Hummels and Subotic have been able to make up for that. Weidenfeller vs. Neuer is a toss-up in my opinion. Both had a great season and are absolutely equal. Weide has been tested a lot more though and kept Dortmund in many games this season.

It's also comes down to Henyckes vs. Klopp. Both are great tacticians who drilled their teams to perfection. Heart says and wants Dortmund, head says 3-1 to Bayern. Hey Britbox what do the British people say about an all german final in Wembley? Nightmare? :D

Sensible Brits don't mind Germans. You're probably more similar to Brits than any of our European cousins. Your boys will have a good day out at Wembley and it should be trouble-free. I'm routing for Dortmund in this one, basically because I have no dog in the race, so typically rout for the underdog.

On a sidenote Didi, I thought you were French?

Didi

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
britbox said:
On a sidenote Didi, I thought you were French?

Yes, I am. But I recently moved to Germany, to Sarrebruck, that's Saarbrücken in German. Argh I must get used to these new ä, ü, ö letters they use in Germany. Have to buy a new keyboard. It's a city close to the French frontier. I found a new job here. The city is nowhere near as big as Munich, Hamburg, Stuttgart or Berlin but one can already feel the excitement for the all german final. :)

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Entertaining final. Bayern wasn't as dominant as I expected, but the momentum shifted after 1 - 1. That Bayern defender should have been sent off, just like Lewandovski and Ribery by the way. Robben always seems to miss big opportunities in finals, but this time he didn't let his team down.

Iona16

Masters Champion
Reactions
I'm gutted for Dortmund. I think they play fantastic football and their coach is brilliant. They had so many chances in the first half. It's such a shame they couldn't take them. The goalkeepers for both teams were great.

I think the referee had a poor game. Bayern were lucky to keep 11 men on the pitch. Ribery could very easily have been sent off and how Dante remained on the pitch is astonishing.

Iona16

Masters Champion
Reactions
Neymar has just joined Barca on a 5 year deal. I've a horrible feeling that Barca have made a mistake. Not a fan of Neymar at all.