Football (Soccer)

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Totally agree! The number of times I've sat at Old Trafford and Anfield and shuddered at the things the fans are chanting. It's horrible

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Totally agree! The number of times I've sat at Old Trafford and Anfield and shuddered at the things the fans are chanting. It's horrible

Apparently they also charged Man City because their fans booed the UEFA anthem in the Champions League... but later dropped the charges after being ridiculed from all corners.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
United sing about Liverpool even when they're not playing them...
ha! Never realised. Since I moved from Wimbledon I don't get a chance to hang around the Surrey mob much :D

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I don't know what's it like at Spurs these days Federberg (Last time I went to White Hart Lane was in 2008), but the Premier League matches have largely become devoid of atmosphere unless it's a big game like a derby or the match really counts. I'm guessing it's good at Spurs right now because you're in the hunt for the league title....

At Liverpool, the European nights were totally different than Premier League games (and as I live in Oz, I haven't been to Anfield since 2011)... but the support was different - it was midweek, so it was a far more local fanbase, a lot more old skool fans from yesteryear, much rougher around the edges, a much better atmosphere, people used to stand on the Kop rather than sit... and the place was rocking.

The United game will have been attended by a much different mob than you get at premier league clashes and it kind of showed.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
There were some dark years at the Lane, it can't be denied. Generally speaking the atmosphere is raucous, but there was a period where we had absolutely no confidence in our team so we stood there watching apprehensively. Trust me there have been times at all the big clubs where the fans are a bit quieter. Generally when I go up to Anfield the home fans can be subdued until something happens and you hear the Kop roar. You're certainly right that the atmosphere is different for European nights at Andfield, same thing at Old Trafford. I remember going to Old Trafford for a mid week champions league match years ago. I think it was against Bayern. I was at a corporate box which belonged to one of Fergie's sons who I used to work with, he took a bunch of us up. What was really funny was the hostility the local fans had towards us in the box. We were eating a fabulous meal, not prawn sandwiches as Roy Keane used to say, and the locals kept banging on the window. It was loud and a little bit hostile, but they designed Old Trafford well, the glass was inches thick!

In terms of atmosphere I've experienced the noise at the Lane when we play Chelsea and Arsenal is like nothing else anywhere I've been. Absolutely deafening. I've been to watch Madrid at the Bernabeu a few times and you could sleep it's so quiet

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yeah, totally different on European nights at Anfield.

Liverpool v Chelsea, Champions League Semi Final:

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Leicester City widen the gap at the top of the Premier League. If they keep winning then there isn't much anyone else can do about it, but they have a tough run in at the end and the pressure will be on.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
^It's over. Leicester have won the thing. They just need to win 4 from 6 now. Our only hope is if they stumble and we keep winning. But we have the mancs on Sunday and Chelsea at the bridge. I'm more worried about staving off another St Totteringham day right now!

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
That was a nice weekend of football matey. Your lot did well against Stoke. It's quite funny, I popped to the loo after we went 1 nil up against Utd and came back to find that we were 3 nil up! We've been due for years. The Utd fans were chanting before the match about how we'd blown the title, so it was particularly good to rub it in afterwards. Still... it'll take a miracle now, but if Jordan Spieth can spoon a massive lead at the last moment, then Leicester can do us a favour :D

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Agreed, it's looking more like a Leicester title but at least Spurs are keeping it interesting. Will be an amazing achievement by Leicester though if they can pull it off.

I'm liking what Klopp is doing at Liverpool. I think we'll be challenging for Top 4 again next season and it was a good result at Dortmund last week in the Europa League. If we can finish them on Thursday night then there is a chance of us winning that comp and getting a Champions League slot next year through the back door.

Bert

Masters Champion
Reactions
Website
www.effibet.weebly.com
Agreed, it's looking more like a Leicester title but at least Spurs are keeping it interesting. Will be an amazing achievement by Leicester though if they can pull it off.

I'm liking what Klopp is doing at Liverpool. I think we'll be challenging for Top 4 again next season and it was a good result at Dortmund last week in the Europa League. If we can finish them on Thursday night then there is a chance of us winning that comp and getting a Champions League slot next year through the back door.
Does the Europa League title give a ticket to the Champion's League Preliminary Round now ?

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
^Yes it does. So we're in a rather bizarre situation where only top 2 guarantees champions league, because if Man City finish 5th but win the champions league they're in, and if Liverpool win the Europa League they're in.

Bert

Masters Champion
Reactions
Website
www.effibet.weebly.com
^Yes it does. So we're in a rather bizarre situation where only top 2 guarantees champions league, because if Man City finish 5th but win the champions league they're in, and if Liverpool win the Europa League they're in.
Oh ok, I missed that change. I don't about UK but interest for Europa League has really dropped in the last 10 years in France with Champion's League taking all TV channels favours. I remember that when I was a kid we were far more passionate about this competition, even Cup's winner Cup was well followed. Maybe this change will increase French teams motivation for Europa League.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Oh ok, I missed that change. I don't about UK but interest for Europa League has really dropped in the last 10 years in France with Champion's League taking all TV channels favours. I remember that when I was a kid we were far more passionate about this competition, even Cup's winner Cup was well followed. Maybe this change will increase French teams motivation for Europa League.

We absolutely hate Europa League. It's a real disadvantage to be in it. You play useless matches for very little pay, and what's worse is that playing in distant places on a Thursday puts you at a real disadvantage in the league. I simply cannot understand how it can make any sense for teams that fail in the champions league get passported into Europa League. That just kills the prestige of the event right there. Who are these people who make these arrangements. They must have gone to the same school as the idiots who messed up qualifying in F1

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
by the way I'm convinced that if we hadn't played Europa League we would probably be above Leicester right now. We dropped 7 points because of exhausted players this season

Bert

Masters Champion
Reactions
Website
www.effibet.weebly.com
We absolutely hate Europa League. It's a real disadvantage to be in it. You play useless matches for very little pay, and what's worse is that playing in distant places on a Thursday puts you at a real disadvantage in the league. I simply cannot understand how it can make any sense for teams that fail in the champions league get passported into Europa League. That just kills the prestige of the event right there. Who are these people who make these arrangements. They must have gone to the same school as the idiots who messed up qualifying in F1
100% agree ! Now with TV rights and betting they need matches everyday of the week. They put some French Ligue2 matches on Monday evening... empty stadiums :)
Fully agree for F1, this format is just a nonsense. I have read that they will be back to last year format from the next GP

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
yes that's a big relief. I don't understand how some of these people get into decision making positions. Some of their errors are so basic, it beggars belief!

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
100% agree ! Now with TV rights and betting they need matches everyday of the week. They put some French Ligue2 matches on Monday evening... empty stadiums :)
Fully agree for F1, this format is just a nonsense. I have read that they will be back to last year format from the next GP

A lot of wise people thought that eventually the model would lend itself to fans being admitted for almost free... and maybe it will eventually. The governing bodies can't really have the same piece of cake and eat it twice indefinitely... and nobody really likes watching on TV if the stadium is empty... because unless you are betting on the match, it gives kind of devalues the meaning of the game. However, in th UK the prices are extortionate. It was 5 pound to watch Liverpool in 1988, now you're talking 10 times that for a cheap ticket... if you can get one... and Liverpool are still pretty cheap by premier league standards.

The Europa League is a pretty pathetic appendage on so many fronts, and like you Bert I used to value the UEFA and Cup Winner Cup trophies a lot.. @Federberg will no doubt remember a glorious night a at White Hart Lane in 1984 when Spurs won it.

Now the Champions League has assumed such a position that:

a) The Europa League (successor of UEFA Cup and Cup Winners Cup) was almost a laughing stock of a trophy.... this will probably change now because winning it gives you a Champions League Spot - it will become relevant.

b) In the UK, the FA Cup (which used to be massive) is now second rate. People will still watch finals but to a lesser degree and largely it depends on who is in the final... whereas back in the day, the whole country stopped and watched... regardless of who was in it. The FA Cup final was a national event.... no longer the case.

c) The League Cup Final has been relegated to a competition for the team's reserve players until they reach the final... or at the very least the semi-final.

Most club bosses will place a greater emphasis on finishing in the Top 4 and getting the Champions League place than they will winning the FA Cup. Which is kinda sad.