WTA News and Gossip 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Paula Badosa received a positive COVID-19 test result,after 7 days in quarantine,.I'm feeling unwell and have some symptoms,but I'll try to recover as soon as possible listening to the doctors.I've been taken to a health hotel to self isolate and to be monitored.Paula was on the same flight as Bianca Andreescu's coach who tested positive to COVID-19

Last edited:
Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
News from Laura Robson,who has undergone a third operation to 'prioritise the long term health of my hip'.Laura is unsure at the moment whether she can continue her tennis career.

• Sad

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Not going to write anything against the way Australia is treating this pandemic - which I think is perfect and we have a little like that in Denmark - I'm going to write about the players reaction from the spoiled child like Djocovic to Azarenka and how players find out a way to be in isolation as you can see in the tweets I've brought. And I know you're from Australia and that's why I asked you. I find my own sources then but have a nice day anyway.
Good I have always used my own sources and research the topic I am presenting for tennis,either in a interview or a topic,I have never asked anyone for help.,regardless of the country of origin.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
In collaboration with Tennis Australia the WTA has added a tournament before the AO from February 3-7 that will be restricted to players currently in hard quarantine.28 draw with no qualifying or doubles.27 of 31 WTA players are in hard quarantine right now are single players.Newly added WTA 500 tournament will be the Grampians Trophy.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
An application by Dayana Yastremska to lift the provisional suspension imposed on her 7 January under Article 8.3.1 (c) of the 2020 Tennis Anti-Doping Programe has been denied by the Chair of the Independent Tribunal convened to hear her case.
This decision is subject to appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport by Ms.Yastremska WADA and the National Anti-Doping Center of Ukaraine.( Dayana was on a charter flight that had a positive case of COVID-19 which had to go into hard lockdown in Melbourne she will not be allowed to play the Australia Open).

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Order of play at Friday 29th January exhibition in Adelaide.

1.00pm............local time

Novak Djokovic v Jannik Sinner
Serena Williams v Naomi Osaka
Venus Williams v Irina-Camelia Begu

7.00pm............local time
Rafael Nadal v Dominic Theim
Ashleigh Barty v Simona Halep

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Dayana Yastremska has filed a urgent appeal on the 26th January in order to participate in the 2021 Auatralian Open,to the Court of Arbritration (CAS).The CAS arbritration has commence and the parties have agreed to an expedited procedure in order to enable a sole artbitrator to issue a final decision by 3rd February,2021.

• Haha

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Dayana Yastremska has filed a urgent appeal on the 26th January in order to participate in the 2021 Auatralian Open,to the Court of Arbritration (CAS).The CAS arbritration has commence and the parties have agreed to an expedited procedure in order to enable a sole artbitrator to issue a final decision by 3rd February,2021.
I wonder if that's why Sascha dropped her? You think he found out she was doping and cut bait?

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Yarra Valley Classic WTA 500 31st January - 6th February Draw 4pm AEDT Friday 29th January

Gippsland Trophy WTA 500 31st January - 6th February Draw 4pm AEDT Friday 29th January

Grampians Trophy WTA 500 3rd February - 7th February Draw Monday 1st February Time TBA

• Love

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I am interested to see the upcoming exho match between Osaka v S. Williams
Osaka did not go to RG last year after the USO,which is not her surface
Serena had to withdraw due to a achilles problem which I felt happened towards the end of the USO.
The WTA did not have a final or go to South East Asia tournaments due to COVID-19 towards the end of 2020.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Serena leading 5-2 .....both ladies very relaxed on court and chatting to each other at the change of ends
Serena's serve has been very solid so far,her ball toss is just wonderful to watch,just so effortless at times.
Both ladies hit the ball soo hard,Osaka can match,Serena's power.
Serena 1st set 62.....Osaka' needs to find her serve,first and foremost.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Osaka broke Serena in her first service game of the 2nd set
Osaka now finding her fhand and her angles and has had Serena on the run wide to her fhand wing with winners
Osaka leads 5-1 also her serve has improved from the 1st set.
Osaka wins the 2nd set 62
We are going to a match t/break

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Serena leading 5-3 in the match t/break,love the high shot to Osaka's bhand which causes the error
Serena 6-4,good quality tennis from both players in this t/break
Osaka with a DF......Serena 7-4
Serena on serve 8-4
Serena 9-4 with 5 MPS
Osaka with a great fhand angle winner and Ace
Serena 9-6 with 3 MPS
Serena won 10-7

Serena wins 62 26 10-7.

Fun to watch.............playing in front of fans as well.....well done ladies!

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Watching highlights of the match between Halep v Barty (as I just returned home from work)

Halep d Barty 36 16 (10-8)

Ash's level dropped dramatically in the 2nd set,she has not played a tennis match in over 1 year,I have to take that into consideration.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Carla Suarez Navarro's recovery from Hodgkin Lymphoma is progressing well and the Spainiard dreams of playing doubles with Garbine Muguruza at this year's Tokyo Olympics.The 32 year old expected properly end her tennis career in 2020,but the COVID-19 pandemic and cancer diagnosis ruined her plans.Now that she's finished her chemotherapy sessions,Suarez Navarro told BBC World Service that her ideal farwell would be at the Olympics.Suarez Navarro has discussed partnering with Muguruza,with whom she won 3 WTA double titles.They also teamed up at the Rio 2016 Olympics.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
A hotel quarantine worker has tested positive from the Grand Hyatt,the quarantine hotel used by the AO players.All associated with the AO who were there must be tested and isolate.All matches cancelled for Thursday.An update on the schedule for Friday will be announced later today.

• Wow
Status
Not open for further replies.