WTA News and Gossip 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The WTA Tour could see its tournaments in China wiped out entirely for the second successive year due to COVID-19 pandemic and has set a June 30 deadline for a final decision.

• Wow
Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Kiki Bertens has just announced on Twitter that she will be retiring after the Olympics or a least after this season is over.
Kiki has been struggling with an achilles injury and said she works harder than ever but her body just doesn't cooperate.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Wild Cards for Wimbledon,

V.Williams (USA)
K.Boulter (GBR)
J.Burrage (GBR)
H.Dart (GBR)
F.Jones (GBR)
S.Murray Sharan (GBR)
2 more WC to be announced.

I’m glad they’re giving Venus a wildcard. She well deserves it.

And apparently if you have “Murray” in your name, you get a wildcard.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I’m glad they’re giving Venus a wildcard. She well deserves it.

And apparently if you have “Murray” in your name, you get a wildcard.
They are both former Wimbledon champions,so in my mind they had to received WCs.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Naomi Osaka has withdrawn from Wimbledon ( quite frankly I don't think anyone is surprised with this decision).
Naomi said she will be playing the Olympics.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Naomi Osaka has withdrawn from Wimbledon ( quite frankly I don't think anyone is surprised with this decision).
Naomi said she will be playing the Olympics.

What we need to hear is, “Naomi Osaka has sought counseling to help her overcome her difficulties.”

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
What we need to hear is, “Naomi Osaka has sought counseling to help her overcome her difficulties.”
From what I just read,she is spending time with family and friends,no word on getting professional help,maybe she is doing this and keeping it private from the media.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Well it isn’t really anyone’s business if she is seeking professional help unless she wants to tell people, I support her keeping it private if she wants.

I beg to disagree.

If someone wants a protected ranking, they need to show that they are injured and are taking appropriate medical treatment.

Similarly, if she wants special treatment (such as being let off the presser obligations without penalty), she needs to provide evidence that she is really going through mental issues and is taking treatment. If she does not want any kind of special treatment, then it is her private business.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I beg to disagree.

If someone wants a protected ranking, they need to show that they are injured and are taking appropriate medical treatment.

Similarly, if she wants special treatment (such as being let off the presser obligations without penalty), she needs to provide evidence that she is really going through mental issues and is taking treatment. If she does not want any kind of special treatment, then it is her private business.
She can certainly do that without making a public statement to anyone. The only people she needs to disclose that to are the officials she has to deal with at tournaments and whoever else needs that information. She certainly doesn’t need to disclose it for my benefit or yours.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
What is up with Eugene? Does she still exist?

The last I heard was she was using USTA for her fall and concussion at USO some years ago.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
What is up with Eugene? Does she still exist?

The last I heard was she was using USTA for her fall and concussion at USO some years ago.
Boiuchard's ranking is 117,last seen on a tennis court in Mexico mid March 2021.,since then she has not played a match.Bouchard could have played WTA 125 events,also ITF events,but she didn't play either.Bouchard has not entered any grass tournaments,so I do not think she will play Wimbledon ,where she will have to play qualifer's due to her ranking.

• Haha

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
2021's 10 Maiden WTA Champions

Tauson (Lyon), Sorribes Tormo (Guadalajara) Fernandez (Monterrey),Kudermetova (Charleston 500),Sharma (Charleston 250),
Osorio Serrano (Bogota),Badosa (Belgrade),Krejcikova (Strasburg),Jabeur (Birmingham),Samsonova(Berlin).

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Boiuchard's ranking is 117,last seen on a tennis court in Mexico mid March 2021.,since then she has not played a match.Bouchard could have played WTA 125 events,also ITF events,but she didn't play either.Bouchard has not entered any grass tournaments,so I do not think she will play Wimbledon ,where she will have to play qualifer's due to her ranking.

Why is she not playing? Injuries, laziness, considering retirement, getting married, don't need the money?

Status
Not open for further replies.