kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
special700 said:
golds girl said:
RJD11 said:
Wow! Vania King double bagelled Cabeza

Vicky D. lost 7 - 6 6 - 1

Played well the 1st set, Then crashed the 2nd.

Wonder if its a fitness thing?

Not sure whether it's fitness....wondering whether it's a mental thing where she can't get the tiebreak loss out of her head and loses immense focus? It's a quality that's developed over time and she's still young.

On another note. Zheng Xie doesn't seem to play well against anyone except the Williams'. Seems like she only lifts her game when she has to play either Venus or Serena.

OMG I was thinking that same thing yesterday when I was watching that match.

Not entirely true. She played really well against Sharapova at RG one year. Last week in IW she denied Li a straight set win and pushed it to 3. I think she raises her game against the top players because she wants to be challenged. It's unfortunate more lower-ranked players don't that.

Calvy

Masters Champion
Reactions
kskate2 said:
special700 said:
golds girl said:
RJD11 said:

Not sure whether it's fitness....wondering whether it's a mental thing where she can't get the tiebreak loss out of her head and loses immense focus? It's a quality that's developed over time and she's still young.

On another note. Zheng Xie doesn't seem to play well against anyone except the Williams'. Seems like she only lifts her game when she has to play either Venus or Serena.

Not entirely true. She played really well against Sharapova at RG one year. Last week in IW she denied Li a straight set win and pushed it to 3. I think she raises her game against the top players because she wants to be challenged. It's unfortunate more lower-ranked players don't that.

So, you're saying she loses matches against non-elite players because she's not challenged?

I'd think considering her ranking, anyone ranked above her she be a challenge, or the challenge is bringing her best game every match.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Calvy said:
kskate2 said:
special700 said:
golds girl said:
RJD11 said:

So, you're saying she loses matches against non-elite players because she's not challenged?yes

I'd think considering her ranking, anyone ranked above her she be a challenge, or the challenge is bringing her best game every match.

Well that's the case w/ most of them isn't it? Not enough consistent days of their best and thus the ranking is reflected. Some players really get up for matches with the top players. Zheng is one of them.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Meanwhile, Peng is giving Angie all she can handle. They split sets and Peng is getting in every Angie service game. On serve in the decider 2-1

rugged

Futures Player
Reactions
kskate2 said:
Meanwhile, Peng is giving Angie all she can handle. They split sets and Peng is getting in every Angie service game. On serve in the decider 2-1

Yeah, Peng is playing like she has no thoughts of going home early. I saw Kerber at the Citi Open this year in DC and she just has this habit of playing just slightly about her opponent's level. And that just makes her matches closer than they need to be.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Peng serving for the match at 5-3 produces 3 errors and we're back on serve 5-4

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Angie guts it out 7-5 in the breaker. A few too many errors from Peng in the match game and the TB.

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Lucky Kerber wins in a wobbly manner almost breaking down after 2nd set and behind 5 2 - she fight back and wins the decider 76. Not a great play but exciting to follow - well done Kerber after two first match losses in the two latest tournaments - a turning point?

Thursdays results you can see on page 2

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
What I find most frustrating about Kerber is that she has the ability to play aggressively and can hit the ball with pace but seems content to just resort to getting the ball back into play.You only see her playing aggressively occasionally during a match.She does not play the kind of style I like.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I am also upset about the lack of WTA coverage as a grand total of 4 matches will be shown.Sharapova v Nara match will not be streamed.
End of my rant today:)

golds girl

Major Winner
Reactions
Watching Serena and NCAA basketball at the same time....if possible

golds girl

Major Winner
Reactions
fashionista said:
Is it just me...Serena looks like she has lost some weight?

Not sure whether she looks lighter but I do know she's playing some nervous tennis right now.

pavlik89

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQGOZ2kVBwg[/video]

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
I see all the rumours about Serena and her coach/boyfriend were just crap as there he is today.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
What the hell are the muppet crowd booing about?

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Looks like the first set is gone for Serena.