US Open [Men] - Grand Slam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I don't think anyone sees it as a fault. Personally, I like the emotion shown by both players, but would like to see a little more control. Likely, that control would probably alter their drive and determination. :thinking-face:

That’s the rub, 23 and 17 Majors With the “mix” they have.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
What happened Matteo? Too much store bought pasta last night? He looked as if he was wearing lead boots.

• Haha
Reactions: Moxie

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
With the Rublev win and Matteo loss, , the pervy objectifying women of this board are weeping.

Seriously though, if Rublev can keep this up he could be a threat to (as expected) Medvedev.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
With the Rublevwin and Mattei loss, , the pervy objectifying women of this board are weeping.

Seriously though, if Rublev can keep this up he could be a threat to (as expected) Medvedev.
There is nothing pervy about my admiration for Babycakes... :astonished-face:

Reactions: Moxie

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I suspect Rublev will have a much tougher time against either Medvedev or Thiem as they aren’t as likely to be as lead footed as Mr B.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
How can anyone fault the results of Serena and Novak’s emotional approach to the game. It may have hurt them in some matches but I guarantee you it’s helped them immeasurably in many more matches.
Fine, but live by the emotional outburst, die by the emotional outburst, on occasion, eh?

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Andrey Rublev is playing his best tennis of his career which is great to see! The problem is if he faces Medvedev in the QF, can he penetrate Medvedev's exceptional defense. In addition to that, when Medvedev decides to go offensive on both wings, can he defend those shots over 5 sets? And if he does face Thiem in the SF, can he play well enough defense to counter Thiem's firepower?

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Fine, but live by the emotional outburst, die by the emotional outburst, on occasion, eh?
Well, I think in Serena’s case it is more obvious why she is frustrated and angry. For example, Osaka was clocking her game left and right, and she had no answers. As was said, Djokovic panics before there is any reason to panic.

Reactions: rafanoy1992

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Medvedev is the most impressive player I have seen besides Djokovic in this event. I would have to say he is the favorite now with Djokovic out. My only worry is that his serving has been a bit too erratic.

Reactions: Bonaca and Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I guess the question is, would they be as good if they were less emotional?
My knee-jerk answer is yes, because they are so good. Do they definitely get in their own way sometimes? Yes. (In some different ways.) But if you made them different people, would they be the same players? I guess the answer is "no." So I guess if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Just deal with the backlash when it comes.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Medvedev is the most impressive player I have seen besides Djokovic in this event. I would have to say he is the favorite now with Djokovic out. My only worry is that his serving has been a bit too erratic.
He was my pick to win it. And he doesn't live and die just on serve. He has a lot of variety.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
He was my pick to win it. And he doesn't live and die just on serve. He has a lot of variety.

It looks like you made a great pick, Moxie! The pandemic has helped him tremendously in just resetting his body and mind. He looks fresh both physically and mentally.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Well Medvedev should have won the final last year. It’s just too bad he played like crap after getting the break early in the first set and then having all the momentum at the start of the 5th.

At any rate, he is giving Tiafoe a tennis lesson right now. Tiafoe better hope he can win at least one game in the second or third set. It’s looking doubtful that he will. He might even get double-bageled.

Reactions: Bonaca
Status
Not open for further replies.