25. Milos Raonic
26. Filip Krajinovic
27. Borna Coric
28. Jan-Lennard Struff
29. Guido Pella
30. Casper Ruud
31. Marin Cilic
32. Adrian Mannarino

https _hypebeast.com_image_2020_06_jorge-rodriguez-gerada-doctor-mural-coronavirus-queens-new-...jpg

f_USTA1191431_20190908_USO_D14_DC22439.jpg

The Tournament:

The US Open Tennis Championships began life as the U.S. National Championship in 1881. It is a hard court tournament, but was for much of its long duration a grass tournament, and was for a few years even played on clay.

The venue for the championship is the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in Flushing Meadows, Corona Park, Queens, New York City. The BJKTC has 3 courts with a retractable roof: Arthur Ashe stadium, the main show court, the newly renovated Louis Armstrong Stadium and another new show court finished in 2016 to replace the old Grandstand.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the tournament will be played with no spectators, and some adjustments to the usual format. The tournament normally consists of men's and women's singles, men's and women's doubles, and mixed doubles, with additional tournaments for senior, junior, and wheelchair players.

This year, in order to promote physical distancing between players, their teams and all tournament personnel the field as been reduced as follows:

Men's and Women's Singles: There will be no qualifying. The top 120 players will play.

Men's and Women's Doubles: The field will be reduced to 32 teams. No player who plays in singles will be permitted to play doubles.

Mixed Doubles: Will not be contested this year.

Wheelchair: After initially being excluded, and after a controversy, will be played that last 4 days of the tournament.

Line calling: Ashe and Armstrong will use line judges. All other courts will you electronic line calling only.

Ivy9wmT.jpg

About New York City:

The Big Apple. The City that Never Sleeps.

Immortalized by the greats: Frank Sinatra, E.B. White, the Ramones. Fashion center, jazz and rap mecca, great melting pot of cultures, and past and present home and inspiration to countless writers, artists, musicians, entrepreneurs and hucksters.

New York City has 5 boroughs, of which Manhattan is only one, though the most famous. But the tennis is played in Queen’s, which has a fascination all its own. It is the geographically largest borough in NYC, but second in population to Brooklyn, and is the most ethnically diverse. There are 138 languages spoken in Queens, of the 800 recorded in all of NYC. Queens boasts one of the largest Greek communities outside of Greece, the 3rd largest Bosnian population in the US; it has the largest concentration of Ecuadorians, Peruvians, Salvadorans in the city, and its largest concentration of Asians and South Asians, with some of the neighborhoods still very high in concentrations of Italian, Irish and Jewish populations, which are more long-entrenched. There are so many small pockets of great ethnic food here that people from all over the city make pilgrimages to the various neighborhoods to "eat their way around the world."

Prominent figures who hail from Queen’s: Johnny Ramone, Paul Simon, Art Garfunkel, Donald Trump, Nicki Minaj, Kareem Abdul-Jabar, and John McEnroe.

Louis Armstrong, though he was originally from New Orleans and hugely associated with that city, bought a house in a working class neighborhood in Corona, Queens, and lived the last 28 years of his life there. The house is a landmark, which is open to the public. It is very near BJK Tennis Center, and why the stadium is named after him. Before Ashe was built, it was the largest show court at the facility.

EcZrOv8.jpg

8OCIhaM.jpg

mzxSdBU.jpg

Tourism Guide:

TV Coverage:

ESPN: United States and the Pacific commonwealth, Puerto Rico

ESPN International: Latin America Territory (Mexico, Central and South America, Ascension Island), Caribbean (other than Bermuda, Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands) and Oceania (Australia, New Zealand and Pacific)

TSN: Canada

beIN Sports: Algeria, Bahrain, Chad, Djibouti, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Mauritania, Morocco, Oman, Palestinian Territories, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates, Yemen

CCTV: China

Tencent: China

Eurosport: Albania, Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Commonwealth of Independent States (Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Russia, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, Uzbekistan), Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Israel, Italy, Kosovo, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Vatican State, Non-Exclusive: Algeria, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Syria and Tunisia

Fox Sports Asia: Brunei, Cambodia, China, East Timor, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Korea, Laos, Macau, Malaysia, Mongolia, Myanmar, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam

ORG: Austria

Prime Video: United Kingdom, Ireland

SRG SSR: Switzerland

Star India: India, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka

Tennis Channel: United States

Wowow: Japan

Globostat: Brazil

SuperSport: Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Comoros, Congo, Democratic Republic of Congo, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Ivory Coast, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritius, Mayotte, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Reunion, Rwanda, Sao Tome & Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Socotra, South Africa, St. Helena and Ascension, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, Zambia, Zanzibar, Zimbabwe, Non-Exclusive: Chad, Djibouti, Mauritania, Somalia (Somaliland), South Sudan and Sudan.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
1) It's just too boring without the man who won it 4 of the last 8 times he has entered it, the USO King Rafael Nadal.

2) As a Canadian I'm rooting first and foremost for Auger Aliassime and Raonic, two Canadians who are a class act. I'm not much of a fan of racket breaker and brat Shapovalov, his violent bad attitude reminds me of Djokovic when he's losing.

3) I'd also love to see class act Dominic Thiem win his first slam so why not here at the USO!

4) It's very disappointing that the 3 players I'm rooting for are all in the same quarter.

5) Hopefully Djokovic overplayed and is too tired from the last tournament. He's still the clear favorite and his easy draw also helps. But jeez he is just too boring to watch and not likeable at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy22

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
1) I would like to see Marin in the F against Novak, but that’s far from reality.
2) My second wish for final opponent are the two class acts Daniil from Russia or Miloš Raonić from Montenegro!
3) It would be nice to see Novak putting away the Greek Steffi.
5) Biggest side-wish: Missy Thiem losing early. She is the one I mostly dislike.

Let’s enjoy this grand slam tennis!

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Paire.withdrawn after testing positive has been replaced in the draw by Marcel Granollers he will play Kamil Majchrzak.

Paire was asymptomatic,it has also been reported that other French players,Gasquet,Mannarino,Edouard Roger-Vasselin and Gregoire Barrere have been asked to stay at their hotel until further notice.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Paire was asymptomatic,it has also been reported that other French players,Gasquet,Mannarino,Edouard Roger-Vasselin and Gregoire Barrere have been asked to stay at their hotel until further notice.
According to travel restrictions, the players must have been given exemptions to travel into the US. Were they tested upon arrival by the ITP? Why are the French players being isolated? Is the thinking that Paire brought it in from France? That seems to be the implication, if the various players, regardless of nationality aren't allowed to fraternize. Maybe they got it during travel? Because it can take some days to test positive.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
According to travel restrictions, the players must have been given exemptions to travel into the US. Were they tested upon arrival by the ITP? Why are the French players being isolated? Is the thinking that Paire brought it in from France? That seems to be the implication, if the various players, regardless of nationality aren't allowed to fraternize. Maybe they got it during travel? Because it can take some days to test positive.

This is what I have read,Paire arrived in NYC on the very last possible day to compete in Cincinnati,four days before his first match against Borna Coric,he retired while down 60 10 and looked visibly ill.Apparently it took a couple of tests before he tested positive,that is quite usual,sometimes people take 3 tests before they received a positive result.Contact tracing has been initiated to determine if anyone must quarantine for 14 days.In regards to the other French players being asked to stay in their hotel,this would be a precautionary matter to see if they are also positive,I would say they are awaiting results.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This is what I have read,Paire arrived in NYC on the very last possible day to compete in Cincinnati,four days before his first match against Borna Coric,he retired while down 60 10 and looked visibly ill.Apparently it took a couple of tests before he tested positive,that is quite usual,sometimes people take 3 tests before they received a positive result.Contact tracing has been initiated to determine if anyone must quarantine for 14 days.In regards to the other French players being asked to stay in their hotel,this would be a precautionary matter to see if they are also positive,I would say they are awaiting results.
This is so interesting. The implication is that, for all of their protocols, to let someone fly in so late is a bit careless. And if he was sick after 4 days here, he brought it from France, most likely, right, or en route? I know the players resisted the notion of coming and quarantining before play, but this seems to imply that perhaps they should have. And how is this going to work when they go straight back to Europe and play without quarantine? I really want this to work out, but I fear that the international travel is going to bite tennis in the ass.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Interesting day on the Men's side. Djokovic apparently didn't ask for a Tuesday start. And Zverev and Anderson, already. Plus, Mannarino is playing...so much for isolating him.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
This is so interesting. The implication is that, for all of their protocols, to let someone fly in so late is a bit careless. And if he was sick after 4 days here, he brought it from France, most likely, right, or en route? I know the players resisted the notion of coming and quarantining before play, but this seems to imply that perhaps they should have. And how is this going to work when they go straight back to Europe and play without quarantine? I really want this to work out, but I fear that the international travel is going to bite tennis in the ass.

I have always been a advocator of having to quarantine especially in all international travel.,Paire probably picked it up in Paris or on a plane,if there was no social distancing on the plane,I hope he was wearing a mask on the plane,wearing masks in Paris is now mandatory.Hopefully there will be no more instances.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Interesting day on the Men's side. Djokovic apparently didn't ask for a Tuesday start. And Zverev and Anderson, already. Plus, Mannarino is playing...so much for isolating him.

Just read this on Twitter from Jose Morgado,

11 players had 'close' contact with Paire,(both men and women) and they will play the tournament.They have been given a new documentation to sign.Don't have access to some area's but still can practice and play.Are the USTA contradicting themselves from Cincinnati (Pella) last week?.

Last edited:
  • Wow

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
OMG, it so dead for a major to be going on! People should be at home watching and blogging away! You know you're getting old when past champion's kids are playing in an event! I heard Borg's son is coming along, but has a little ways to go to make to tour! Korda's son is playing Shapo at the moment in the 1st Rd.! He's giving Den all he wants and more already splitting sets, but up a break on the newbie! :exploding-head:

Reactions: Bonaca

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
No 9 seed Diego Schwartzman was serving for the match,Cam Norrie saved 2MPs broke back and won the 4hr match 36 46 62 61 75
Highest mens' seed out so far today.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.