US Open [Men] - Grand Slam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
With the Rublev win and Matteo loss, , the pervy objectifying women of this board are weeping.

Seriously though, if Rublev can keep this up he could be a threat to (as expected) Medvedev.
Clearly you weren't around in the early days of these forums when it was non-stop objectifying of the women on tour and pictures of them in their bikinis. We women started posting pictures of shirtless men, which was a game-changer. Appreciating handsome men is just a little vestige as to reminding that we can enjoy a pretty face, too.

You really like Rublev over (presumptive) Medvedev?

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
But, it can certainly make the difference in a final when you need cheap free points from a reliable serve .

Yes, and as lopsided as the score against Tiafoe is right now, it should actually be worse. The main reason it isn’t is that Medvedev’s serving has been spotty.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Andrey Rublev is playing his best tennis of his career which is great to see! The problem is if he faces Medvedev in the QF, can he penetrate Medvedev's exceptional defense. In addition to that, when Medvedev decides to go offensive on both wings, can he defend those shots over 5 sets? And if he does face Thiem in the SF, can he play well enough defense to counter Thiem's firepower?
I would say no to all those questions.

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
But, it can certainly make the difference in a final when you need cheap free points from a reliable serve .
Free points are nice, but who's left in the draw that you need the cheap points against, more than variety? If he were going to potentially face Djokovic, I would agree.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Man, Medvedev looks focus and stoic right now. He is saving energy right now which means he is ready to go war potentially against Thiem this upcoming Friday.

Reactions: Bonaca and Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well Medvedev should have won the final last year. It’s just too bad he played like crap after getting the break early in the first set and then having all the momentum at the start of the 5th.
We'll debate this forever, I suppose, but Medvedev barely had a sniff at the final last year. However, he acquitted himself well, and I hope he comes good this year.

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Clearly you weren't around in the early days of these forums when it was non-stop objectifying of the women on tour and pictures of them in their bikinis. We women started posting pictures of shirtless men, which was a game-changer. Appreciating handsome men is just a little vestige as to reminding that we can enjoy a pretty face, too.

so when the men walk around topless (or the male players take their shirt off in front of 10000 people), are you up for it too? if you are capable of it.....lets see if your action is as bold as just posting on the internet.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
so when the men walk around topless (or the male players take their shirt off in front of 10000 people), are you up for it too? if you are capable of it.....lets see if your action is as bold as just posting on the internet.
Absolutely! Topless for everyone on beaches, tops on for everyone in town. Bottoms for all, except for those nudists, where appropriate.

imjimmy

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Well Medvedev should have won the final last year. It’s just too bad he played like crap after getting the break early in the first set and then having all the momentum at the start of the 5th.

The final last year would have been wrapped up in straight sets by Nadal had the Spaniard not been sloppy in set 3. There were more chances of Nadal winning in 3 sets than Medvedev winning in 5. Medvedev was NEVER in the lead in the match, not to mention Medvedev was down a double break in the final set.

It was a very sub-par performance from Nadal and he somehow managed to squeeze out the match. It was some of the worst tennis I've seen Nadal play when he's actually won a slam final.

What would you say about Djokovic vs Thiem in Australian Open 2020. At least there Thiem was in the lead at 2 sets to 1.

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The final last year would have been wrapped up in straight sets by Nadal had the Spaniard not been sloppy in set 3. There were more chances of Nadal winning in 3 sets than Medvedev winning in 5. Medvedev was NEVER in the lead in the match, not to mention Medvedev was down a double break in the final set.

It was a very sub-par performance from Nadal and he somehow managed to squeeze out the match. It was some of the worst tennis I've seen Nadal play when he's actually won a slam final.

What would you say about Djokovic vs Thiem in Australian Open 2020. At least there Thiem was in the lead at 2 sets to 1.

Very smart post but it’s better to not feed the troll...

Reactions: imjimmy

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Out of all the three players between Medvedev, Tsitsipas, and Zverev, Medvedev has the highest floor meaning he will be the most consistent player at the very least on a hardcourt. The biggest question for Medvedev is can he translate his game towards the Clay and Grass? He has actually reached a 500 tour level event final on Clay (2019 Barcelona). Both Tsitsipas and Zverev have shown they can play very well on Clay (grass is still a question for Tsitsipas).

If Medvedev can somehow translate towards Clay and Grass, then he will be world number 1 player AND win multiple slams.

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
We'll debate this forever, I suppose, but Medvedev barely had a sniff at the final last year. However, he acquitted himself well, and I hope he comes good this year.

There’s no debate, Nadal was the better player and should have won in 3 sets. He also lead 5-2 in the fifth set at one point. He also won all their three meetings that year.

Reactions: Andy22

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Medvedev has such a solid game, and understandably the heavy favorite but I would love to see a non thinking bashing Rublev challenge him.

If Rublev can get a lead these players have the audacity to be human and then start thinking too much.

Besides get two compatriots on a court and things can get wonky.

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

I rewatched that match the other day. In actual fact, Medvedev did have a lead with a break at 2-1 in the first, but got broken back immediately. And he led at 1-0 in the 5th. I think that was it. Nadal was tight that whole match and let it go 5, which was valiant on Meddie. But you are right it should have been a straight sets win. Cali likes to spin a lot out of the odd moments to say that Medvedev "should" have won. But any "should have" in that match was that Rafa "should" have closed it in 3.

Reactions: imjimmy

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Medvedev has such a solid game, and understandably the heavy favorite but I would love to see a non thinking bashing Rublev challenge him.

If Rublev can get a lead these players have the audacity to be human and then start thinking too much.

Besides get two compatriots on a court and things can get wonky.
What is it that you like about a "non-thinking, bashing" Rublev, exactly? Plus, is he non-thinking and just bashing?

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
What is it that you like about a "non-thinking, bashing" Rublev, exactly? Plus, is he non-thinking and just bashing?

Technically he hits a very clean ball and I like how he can hit the ball on the rise Agassi-like. Like today, he robbed Matteo of time. Of course consistency is his bete noire.

Reactions: Moxie

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

He was up a break in the first set before squandering the lead. Then at the start of the 5th he pulled his punch with Nadal on his last legs. It was a terrible loss.

Reactions: Bonaca

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
There’s no debate, Nadal was the better player and should have won in 3 sets. He also lead 5-2 in the fifth set at one point. He also won all their three meetings that year.

Medvedev should have won the first set of the final last year. He played horribly after getting the break. Stop talking bullshit as usual.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

As usual imjimmy, you talk about Nadal as if he has some kind of ethereal peak form that no one can touch, and any time he struggles you insist that he played terribly or was totally off his game. You are actually quite similar to DarthFed when he describes Federer’s performances as “horrible” or “pathetic” simply because he is in a close match.

Medvedev had an early break in the first set and only lost the set 7-5. Don’t talk like Nadal beat him 6-1. That is ridiculous. Medvedev was up a break and if he played half as well at the end of the first set that he did in sets 3 or 4 he would have walked away with the set.

Your bullshit narrative conveniently omits that Medvedev blew multiple break points at the start of the 5th set. Also, for you to say that Nadal played “some of the worst tennis” he has played in a Slam final is utter nonsense. He simply couldn’t hit through Medvedev and once Medvedev started turning his defense to offense Nadal became quite helpless.

I hate to break it to you, but Nadal has never been as good as you’ve made him out to be.

He is a great player in his own right, but not the tennis perfection you think of him as.

Reactions: Bonaca
Status
Not open for further replies.