27. Yoshihito Nishioka
28. Grigor Dimitrov
29. Alejandro Davidovich Fokina
30. Ben Shelton
31. Miomir Kecmanovic
32. Bernabe Zapata Miralles

24829a0e-8530-4b48-84fb-6b1f50e04354_20220605_RG_AL_4841_web.jpg

The Tournament:

The French Open (French: Internationaux de France de tennis), also known as Roland-Garros, is a major tennis tournament held over two weeks at the Stade Roland Garros in Paris, France, beginning in late May each year. The tournament and venue are named after the French aviator Roland Garros. The French Open is the premier clay court championship in the world and the only Grand Slam tournament currently held on this surface. It is chronologically the second of the four annual Grand Slam tournaments, occurring after the Australian Open and before Wimbledon and the US Open. Until 1975, the French Open was the only major tournament not played on grass. Between the seven rounds needed for a championship, the clay surface characteristics (slower pace, higher bounce), and the best-of-five-set men's singles matches, the French Open is widely regarded as the most physically demanding tennis tournament in the world.

La_Tour_Eiffel_vue_de_la_Tour_Saint-Jacques,_Paris_août_2014_(2).jpg

About Paris:

Paris is the capital and most populous city of France, with an official estimated population of 2,102,650 residents as of 1 January 2023 in an area of more than 105 km² (41 sq mi), making it the fourth-most populated city in the European Union as well as the 30th most densely populated city in the world in 2022. Since the 17th century, Paris has been one of the world's major centres of finance, diplomacy, commerce, fashion, gastronomy, and science. For its leading role in the arts and sciences, as well as its early and extensive system of street lighting, in the 19th century, it became known as "the City of Light". Like London, prior to the Second World War, it was also sometimes called the capital of the world.

The City of Paris is the centre of the Île-de-France region, or Paris Region, with an official estimated population of 12,271,794 inhabitants on January 1, 2023, or about 19% of the population of France, making the region France's primate city. The Paris Region had a GDP of €739 billion ($743 billion) in 2019, the highest in Europe. According to the Economist Intelligence Unit Worldwide Cost of Living Survey, in 2022, Paris was the city with the ninth-highest cost of living in the world.

Tourism Guide:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I didn't know Shelton was the 30 seed. And because of Madrid, Struffie jumps up to 21. He will be a nightmare for somebody in R3.
Ben Shelton is one of my rising youngsters, I became a fan of Bens, earlier at the AO, where he had a great run, I have to applaud Ben for playing clay tournaments in Europe this year, singles and doubles, yes his form on clay is a work in progress, at least Ben is trying to improve on another surface than HCs. Agree Struffie will be a nightmare , also on todays new rankings he has become Germans No 1 player

Last edited:
Reactions: Moxie

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I think until we see otherwise, Djoker is favourite in Paris, followed by Chaz Alcaraz, then Medvedev, who has pushed himself into contention. The draw will be interesting. Who will Djoker potentially have to face in the semi final? In whose path will Holger lurk? Will Tsitsipas make friends with his mammy again? Is he still being sent to bed early as punishment? Or is he back sucking the teat? We’ll know soon, folks!

lomaha

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
I would imagine everyone ranked #5 and lower secretly hopes to end up in Ruud’s quarter.

The top 4 would prefer not to get Holger in their quarter.

The perfect solution tennis Gods? Put Holger & Ruud in the same quarter! Everybody happy. ; )
Well everyone but Ruud and Rune I guess... Nah I don't think that matters that much. Everyone has many matches to win before getting to the last 4. You could have a terrible draw but end up playing af qualifier...

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I think until we see otherwise, Djoker is favourite in Paris, followed by Chaz Alcaraz, then Medvedev, who has pushed himself into contention. The draw will be interesting. Who will Djoker potentially have to face in the semi final? In whose path will Holger lurk? Will Tsitsipas make friends with his mammy again? Is he still being sent to bed early as punishment? Or is he back sucking the teat? We’ll know soon, folks!
Just going on the rankings, I would think Novak and Alcaraz would land in the same half, just my thoughts, Meddy's ranking of No 2 could also have its advantages, bottom half of the draw, anyway will shall know in a couple of days.Agree Novak favorite for Paris, hopefully Alcaraz who is my favorite player out of the top 4 can lift the trophy in Paris this year, going out early in Rome, to me, in ways was a blessing in diguise, wont hurt his chances, I know he can play Best of 5 in a Grand Slam.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Novak is gonna fight tooth and nail for that third FO. He is looking for any and everything to set him apart from Roger and Rafa. Also until the younger generation proves otherwise, Rafa and Novak are the kings of the 5 set format.
That’s right. It’s a bit like 2009, Roger looking at his chance when Rafa went out. A severe side effect of this can be increased nervousness, which we see that Novak counters with his wandering hamstring…

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
A severe side effect of this can be increased nervousness, which we see that Novak counters with his wandering hamstring…
Hammy is old news, elbow is a new thing :)

Novak barely won a few matches on clay this year and showed very little of good play, so it is something to worry about. I don't know what to expect from him, something tells that he won't bag this FO. Players are not bending over to him anymore (except the greek), young guys like Rune and Alcaraz are certainly not afraid and they smell the blood, they see he is beatable. Now they "only" need to prove it on a slam.

My guess is that Novak beats Rune in RG if they meet, but Alcaraz and Medvedev are going to be a difficult task. Both can stay with Novak for 4-5 hours if needed.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions

Novak barely won a few matches on clay this year and showed very little of good play, so it is something to worry about. I don't know what to expect from him, something tells that he won't bag this FO. Players are not bending over to him anymore (except the greek), young guys like Rune and Alcaraz are certainly not afraid and they smell the blood, they see he is beatable. Now they "only" need to prove it on a slam.

My guess is that Novak beats Rune in RG if they meet, but Alcaraz and Medvedev are going to be a difficult task. Both can stay with Novak for 4-5 hours if needed.
I also think the draws may play a part in the top 4, I take your point with Novak not showing good play on clay so far, in a way that dosent concern me, it is a major and he knows how to win, he has also an added bonus, if he wins he will be the outright leader of GS, even not playing his best tennis, look at his early form at the AO this year, when it mattered he went to another level and won

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
The elbow is the wandering hamstring. It’s on vacation up his sleeve for a while. :lol6:

I think he definitely looks genuinely vulnerable, but it’s hard to know if we can take that too seriously. Plus, he’s also good at pacing himself, and he has all the experience in the world. It’ll be interesting to see how he gets on…

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
RG is wide-open, but that also means that I don't have a huge amount of confidence in Novak. He just doesn't seem himself, and it is a quality that speaks of age-related decline. I think he's more than capable of winning another Slam, maybe two, but RG would be the hardest for him, at this point (imo). In a way he reminds me of latter-day Roger or Rafa off clay, where he's still a/the guy to beat, but it doesn't seem a foregone conclusion.

But this also makes this tournament interesting. I see Alcaraz as the favorite, but there's not a huge gap between him and a few other players, and there's also more of a chance of a surprise winner.