27. Borna Coric
28. Christopher Eubanks
29. Ugo Humbert
30. Tomas Martin Etcheverry
31. Sebastian Korda
32. Laslo Djere

us-open-tournament-page-2021.jpg

The Tournament:

The US Open Tennis Championships, commonly called the US Open, is a hardcourt tennis tournament held annually in Queens, New York. Since 1987, the US Open has been chronologically the fourth and final Grand Slam tournament of the year, except for 2020. The other three, in chronological order, are the Australian Open, French Open and Wimbledon. The US Open starts on the last Monday of August and continues for two weeks, with the middle weekend coinciding with the US Labor Day holiday. The tournament is one of the oldest tennis championships in the world, originally known as the U.S. National Championship, for which men's singles and men's doubles were first played in August 1881. It is the only Grand Slam that was not affected by cancellation of World War I and World War II or interrupted by the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020.

About New York City:

New York, often called New York City or NYC, is the most populous city in the United States. With a 2020 population of 8,804,190 distributed over 300.46 square miles (778.2 km2), New York City is the most densely populated major city in the United States. The city is more than twice as populous as Los Angeles, the nation's second-largest city. New York City is situated at the southern tip of New York State. Situated on one of the world's largest natural harbors, New York City comprises five boroughs, each of which is coextensive with a respective county. The five boroughs, which were created in 1898 when local governments were consolidated into a single municipality, are: Brooklyn (Kings County), Queens (Queens County), Manhattan (New York County), the Bronx (Bronx County), and Staten Island (Richmond County). New York City is a global city and a cultural, financial, high-tech, entertainment, glamor, and media center with a significant influence on commerce, health care and scientific output in life sciences, research, technology, education, politics, tourism, dining, art, fashion, and sports. Home to the headquarters of the United Nations, New York is an important center for international diplomacy, and it is sometimes described as the world's most important city and the capital of the world.

Unisphere_at_night_(cropped).jpg

Tourism Guide:

Last edited:
Reactions: Kieran

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Projected QFs by seedings,

(1) Alcaraz vs (6) Sinner
(3) Medvedev vs (8) Rublev
(5) Ruud vs Rune (4)
(2) Djokovic vs (7) Tsitsipas

Looking at the draw, top half is heavy, bottom half lighter.
Overall Djokovic has a favorable draw.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Notable first round matches,

Zverev v Vukic
Murray v Moutet
Humbert v Berrettini
FAA v McDonald
Fuscovics v Korda ( just played at WSO, Korda won in 2 sets)
Bublik v Thiem, ( Dom has had no preparation on HC as he had to pull out of WSO due to Gastro)
Raonic v Tsitsipas

Last edited:

PhiEaglesfan712

Masters Champion
Reactions
Favorable draw for Tiafoe, especially if Rune isn't healthy. He won't face Djokovic until the semis and Alcaraz/Sinner/Medvedev until the finals. Defending his semifinal points is certainly doable.

Sinner is the one name Alcaraz didn't want to see in his draw. I know Alcaraz won the title last year, but Sinner was thisclose to beating him in the quarters. If a few points go differently this year, Sinner might just get over the hump and beat Alcaraz this time around.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I have done Alcaraz, projected path to the final,
R1. D. Koepfer
R2. L. Harris
R3 D. Evans
R4. C.Norrie
QF Sinner
SF Medvedev
F. Djokovic

This is Djokovic projected path to the final
R1 Muller
R2. Zapata Miralles
R3 Djere
R4 FAA
QF Tsitsipas
SF Rune
F. Alcaraz.

Also I dont mind Meddy's draw, it is favorable to the SF, where he is projected to meet Alcaraz and F is Djokovic

Last edited:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I have done Alcaraz path to the final,
R1. D. Koepfer
R2. L. Harris
R3 D. Evans
R4. C.Norrie
QF Sinner
SF Medvedev
F. Djokovic

This is Djokovic path to the final
R1 Muller
R2. Zapata Miralles
R3 Djere
R4 FAA
QF Tsitsipas
SF Rune
F. Alcaraz.

Also I dont mind Meddy's draw, it is favorable to the SF, where he is projected to meet Alcaraz and F is Djokovic
If Djoker reaches the final and faces anyone but Chaz Alcaraz, he’ll be Number 24, Show ‘Em the Door. He’s gotten yet another draw that’s so light it’s airless. FAA is the truly great pity. He’d might go out there to face Novak, teary eyed with memories of his heroic victory in the Laver Cup. He’d might also curse the media for not recognising the great achievement that it was. But he won’t have long to dwell on it because he’ll be back in the changing area so fast he won’t remember this one.

Bets will be taken before the Tsitsipas semi - not on how many times Novak will need a toilet break or wardrobe change - but how many times he’ll use the towel during the match. The smart money will be on ‘zilch.’

Holger has no pedigree since Wimbledon and I can’t even see him making the semi. Could be that The Big T’oe is waiting, frowning ferociously, ready for the moment. This too will pass…

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Monday,
Bottom half of the draw will commence
Tuesday
Top half of the draw will commence
The stupid USO. They did this in 2011 when the defending champ didn’t actually begin until Wednesday and ended up playing 4 matches in 5 days before the final. The justification back then was probably that Novak was #1 seed.

What’s the justification this time? It can’t be just random that they decide these things… :facepalm:

• Haha
Reactions: Fiero425

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
If Djoker reaches the final and faces anyone but Chaz Alcaraz, he’ll be Number 24, Show ‘Em the Door. He’s gotten yet another draw that’s so light it’s airless. FAA is the truly great pity. He’d might go out there to face Novak, teary eyed with memories of his heroic victory in the Laver Cup. He’d might also curse the media for not recognising the great achievement that it was. But he won’t have long to dwell on it because he’ll be back in the changing area so fast he won’t remember this one.

Bets will be taken before the Tsitsipas semi - not on how many times Novak will need a toilet break or wardrobe change - but how many times he’ll use the towel during the match. The smart money will be on ‘zilch.’

Holger has no pedigree since Wimbledon and I can’t even see him making the semi. Could be that The Big T’oe is waiting, frowning ferociously, ready for the moment. This too will pass…
Remember Novak had a favorable draw as well at Wimbledon, this is an ideal draw, if he stuffs it up 'that will be on him' :)
As I have said before defending your GS title is harder in ways than when you won it, though I feel Charly can be positive coming into the USO, he is a player that lifts his game when needed and also has the weapons to do so.

Reactions: kskate2 and Kieran

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The stupid USO. They did this in 2011 when the defending champ didn’t actually begin until Wednesday and ended up playing 4 matches in 5 days before the final. The justification back then was probably that Novak was #1 seed.

What’s the justification this time? It can’t be just random that they decide these things… :facepalm:
I have no idea this time the justification? though I take your point what happened in 2011,

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran,

In regards to Rune he retired with back spasms, so there is a question mark on his fitness coming into the USO this year.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Remember Novak had a favorable draw as well at Wimbledon, this is an ideal draw, if he stuffs it up 'that will be on him' :)
As I have said before defending your GS title is harder in ways than when you won it, though I feel Charly can be positive coming into the USO, he is a player that lifts his game when needed and also has the weapons to do so.
He’s had a favourable draw in every slam for a couple of years now. Even the FO this year, Carlos pulled up cramped. He beat nobody there. Nobody in Australia. Nobody at Wimbledon last year. In 2021 his difficult (and great) match was against Rafa. He beat nobody else. He played nobody who made him have to beat them. 2020 Australia? So many handy draws. He’s claimed about 6 slams without opposition. And you’re right, he had a favourable draw in Wimbledon. It was almost like the early days of the sport, where the champion got a bye to the final. Luckily this time he faced somebody in the final..

PhiEaglesfan712

Masters Champion
Reactions
Jannik Sinner's projected path to the final:

R1: Y. Hanfmann
R2: L. Sonego
R3: S. Wawrinka
R4: A. Zverev
QF: C. Alcaraz
SF: D. Medvedev
F: N. Djokovic

Not the easiest of paths, but if he can get over that hump with Alcaraz, this is doable.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Notable first round matches,

Zverev v Vukic
Murray v Moutet
Humbert v Berrettini
FAA v McDonald
Fuscovics v Korda ( just played at WSO, Korda won in 3 sets)
Bublik v Thiem, ( Dom has had no preparation on HC as he had to pull out of WSO due to Gastro)
Raonic v Tsitsipas
FAA will not win that match is my fear

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Jannik Sinner's projected path to the final:

R1: Y. Hanfmann
R2: L. Sonego
R3: S. Wawrinka
R4: A. Zverev
QF: C. Alcaraz
SF: D. Medvedev
F: N. Djokovic

Not the easiest of paths, but if he can get over that hump with Alcaraz, this is doable.
I don’t think the hump with Carlos is too bad. They’re 3-3 in matches, 1-1 at slams, 1-1 in matches this year, with Sinner winning the most recent match, 2-1 for Sinner last year. It’s definitely a tough draw for Sinner though. If he’s not at his best he could be flying home in week one..

Reactions: Fiero425
Status
Not open for further replies.