US Open, Flushing Meadows, NY USA - Grand Slam (Men)

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
DATE: August 28 to September 10, 2017
SURFACE: HARD
PRIZE MONEY: $36,324,000
FIELD SIZE: 128
DEFENDING CHAMPION: Stan Wawrinka

Seeds:
1. Rafael Nadal
2. Andy Murray
3. Roger Federer
4. Alexander Zverev
5. Marin Cilic
6. Dominic Thiem
7. Grigor Dimitrov
8. Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
9. David Goffin
10. John Isner
11. Roberto Bautista Agut
12. Pablo Carreno Busta
13. Jack Sock
14. Nick Kyrgios
15. Tomas Berdych
16. Lucas Pouille
17. Sam Querrey
18. Gael Monfils
19. Gilles Muller
20. Albert Ramos-Vinolas
21. David Ferrer
22. Fabio Fognini
23. Mischa Zverev
24. Juan Martin del Potro
25. Karen Khachanov
26. Richard Gasquet
27. Pablo Cuevas
28. Kevin Anderson
29. Diego Schwartzman
30. Adrian Mannarino
31. Feliciano Lopez
32. Robin Haase

DSC_0012.jpg

Photo: Kiu Kaffir/Discuss.Tennis

The Tournament:

The US Open Tennis Championships is a hardcourt tennis tournament that began life as the U.S. National Championship in 1881.

The venue for the championship is the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in Flushing Meadows, Corona Park, Queens, New York City. It's former home was the Forest Hills complex.

The tournament consists of men's and women's singles, men's and women's doubles, and mixed doubles, with additional tournaments for senior, junior, and wheelchair players.

The US Open is the only Grand Slam that employs tiebreakers in every set of a match.

About New York

Originally founded as New Amsterdam, New York is the financial center of the US, its most important arts and theatre hub, as well as home to the United Nations. It is the most populous city in the US, with over 8.5 million inhabitants, located on one of the world's largest natural harbors. New York was also the first capital of the US.

P112203-W.jpg
1200px-Statue_of_Liberty_7.jpg
central-park.png

Tourism video:

Reactions: kskate2 and britbox

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Time is the drawing today?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
12 Noon, EDT. I.e., in about 50 minutes.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I'm starting to be worried after see this vid with Rafa practicing with Verdasco and at the 7 minutes and 15 seconds he seems to have some problems in his knee. Hope it was just a little discomfort

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Anybody watch the drawing?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I can't find anywhere to watch it. Are you?

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Nope--I've no idea where to go.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I should have gone down to the South Street Seaport. That's where they're doing it, and it's only a couple of miles from me. I'm just trying to be good and get some work done.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It's live on youtube:

And here's the pdf:
1CfkYkQ.png

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I just saw an update on a sports illustrated site indicates that Rafa and Roger are on the same side and will meet in the semi finals, if at all. Furthermore, Rafael open against Dusan Lajovic, while Roger will face the upstart Frances Tiafoe--a danger to my mind.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
The draw is out

Projected quarterfinals if seeds hold are as follows.

Rafa vs. Grigor
Roger vs. Thiem
Cilic vs. Sasha
Tsonga vs. Andy

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Murray has the easiest section by far. Fed has Tiafoe and Kyrgios. We will find out quickly if his back is decent

Reactions: shawnbm

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Tiafoe is a dangerous first round opponent, and Roger has to be ready, otherwise he will be out. He looked bad in Montreal.

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
And Lajovic will not be easy for Nadal either. Lajovic is a good server, but I don't know how good he is on hard courts.

Reactions: GameSetAndMath

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Remember guys, the draw is only a paper. Tournament by tournament many things change, we just have to go day by day and to see how each one is playing. Also we have to count with injuries, discomfort, sickness, blisters and etc etc etc

Reactions: TennisFan101

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Remember guys, the draw is only a paper. Tournament by tournament many things change, we just have to go day by day and to see how each one is playing. Also we have to count with injuries, discomfort, sickness, blisters and etc etc etc
Amen my Sista..

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions
Gee, I'm shocked...Roger's in the same half as Nadal and has a possible 4R matchup with Kyrgios. I called it in a convo with a friend at another site and wished I'd thought to say it here as well. He's got a really tough draw if the seedings hold and even the staunchest of "Fed fans" has to admit this is going to be a really tough ask if Roger's not 100% fit. Especially if there are the typical US Open rain delays and having to play back-to-back days.

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions
Murray has the easiest section by far. Fed has Tiafoe and Kyrgios. We will find out quickly if his back is decent

It's a crap draw for Roger - no need to sugar coat. If he gets past Kyrgios, then he may have to play Thiem. If he gets past those 2 and Nadal makes the semis, then he has to beat Nadal for a 4th time this year. And if he wins that match then he has to beat either Sascha Zverev, Andy Murray or Marin Cilic to win. And DelPo is lurking in Thiem's quarter as well, so no, NOT a good draw for Roger - especially if he's not 100% physically ready to go.

The other 3 quarters aren't nearly as packed. Even coming back off injury Murray shouldn't have much trouble making the semis. Ditto for Sascha Zverev. Nadal's play has been patchy all summer but he's probably his own biggest obstacle to making the semis.

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions
Now that I've seen the draw - and seen how crappy Roger's draw is! - I'll go with Kyrgios vs. Zverev in the final - Zverev winning in 5 sets. :devilfinger:

Seriously...guess Roger has to wait to see which Nick Kyrgios turns up - the one who loves trying to prove to the Big 3 that he's better than they are...or...you know...the whiny, unprofessional 12 year-old with poor impulse control who "tanks tons of matches" out of disinterest. It will undoubtedly be a night match on Arthur Ashe. IF he can't get up for that, then he needs to sell his rackets and go be a a tour guide at Ayer's Rock. He'll probably get Sam Querrey in the 3R so unless he pulls out with an injury or illness it's hard to believe he won't make it to the 4R.