US OPEN, Flushing Meadows, NY, USA, GRAND SLAM (Men)

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
DATE: August 29 – September 11, 2016
SURFACE: HARD
PRIZE MONEY: $21,862,744
FIELD SIZE: 128
DEFENDING CHAMPION: Novak Djokovic

Seeds:
1. Novak Djokovic, Serbia
2. Andy Murray, Great Britain
3. Stan Wawrinka, Switzerland
4. Rafael Nadal, Spain
5. Milos Raonic, Canada
6. Kei Nishikori, Japan
7. Marin Cilic, Croatia
8. Dominic Thiem, Austria
9. Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, France
10. Gael Monfils, France
11. David Ferrer, Spain
12. David Goffin, Belgium
13. Richard Gasquet, France
14. Nick Kyrgios, Australia
15. Roberto Bautista Agut, Spain
16. Feliciano Lopez, Spain
17. Bernard Tomic, Australia
18. Pablo Cuevas, Uruguay
19. Steve Johnson, United States
20. John Isner, United States
21. Ivo Karlovic, Croatia
22. Grigor Dimitrov, Bulgaria
23. Kevin Anderson, South Africa
24. Lucas Pouille, France
25. Philipp Kohlschreiber, Germany
26. Jack Sock, United States
27. Alexander Zverev, Germany
28. Martin Klizan, Slovakia
29. Sam Querrey, United States
30. Gilles Simon, France
31. Albert Ramos-Vinolas, Spain
32. Benoit Paire, France

full

Photo: Kiu Kaffir/Discuss.Tennis

The Tournament:

The US Open Tennis Championships is a hardcourt tennis tournament that began life as the U.S. National Championship in 1881.

The venue for the championship is the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in Flushing Meadows–Corona Park, Queens, New York City. It’s former home was the Forest Hills complex.

The tournament consists of men’s and women’s singles, men’s and women’s doubles, and mixed doubles, with additional tournaments for senior, junior, and wheelchair players.

The US Open is the only Grand Slam that employs tiebreakers in every set of a match.

full

Photo: Kiu Kaffir/Discuss.Tennis

The Players:

15175158184_c3f8566aac_b_novak-djokovic.jpg

Photo by Marianne Bevis

Novak Djokovic, the defending champion and world number one heads the field in Flushing Meadows. Djokovic will be the favourite entering the tournament, although perhaps not the overwhelming favourite in light of recent issues with his wrist. The Serb was surprised early in the Olympics by Juan Del Potro and hasn’t played since.

Del Potro, who went on to secure the silver medal in Rio will be unseeded in New York and a dangerous floater in the draw.

Britain’s Andy Murray is the in-form player entering 2016’s final major. Murray won 22 matches on the spin, securing titles at Queens and Wimbledon before successfully defending his Olympic title. He was one match away from winning Cincinnati before fatigue, and an inspired Marin Cilic broke his streak. The 2012 champion will be looking to secure his fourth career major.

Rafael Nadal‘s highly documented wrist problems combined with an intensive physical programme at the Olympics mean he isn’t coming into the US Open in optimum shape. However, The 2010 and 2013 winner has surprised people on many occasions in the past and even having in him in the draw adds to the tournament’s lustre.

Marin Cilic enjoyed a solid Wimbledon campaign and looked in great form when defeating Murray in the Cincinnati Masters final. The New York surface will favour Cilic’s game and the 2014 champion has the potential to make another great run.

Kei Nishikori has made the finals here before in 2014, although the longer match format of the grand slam events can take a cumulative toll on the Japanese. He’s had a consistent 2016 however, and shouldn’t be overlooked.

Milos Raonic and Gael Monfils are also entering the Open on the back of a good year and will be considered dark horses to make an impression at the business end of proceedings.

Young guns, Dominic Thiem and Alexander Zverev have both had good years. Thiem was on a tear earlier in the season before fatigue and injury niggles set in. He’s rested coming into New York and will look to recapture his early season form.

2016 has been a breakout year for Zverev and while it’s probably too early to consider him as a genuine grand slam contender, he will be one to watch.

Roger Federer is the marquee name missing from the draw. Federer closed the curtain on his 2016 campaign to focus on an intensive knee rehabilitation programme. He will next be in action at the Hopman Cup in January 2017.

About New York

To get beyond the obvious about New York, let me offer you that New York loves a parade. And the best one during the US Open is the West Indian Day Parade on Labor Day. It is our Carnival, held in Crown Heights, Brooklyn. Elaborate costumes and music feature. The parade attracts literally millions annually. Lesser known, but with a quirky and loyal following is the Mermaid Parade in Coney Island. And of course, we offer a ticker-tape parade to celebrate our heroes. The last one New York hosted was for the US Women’s Soccer team when they won the World Cup.

The skyline of Manhattan is iconic, of course, but there are a few new additions: the Freedom Tower, and the Calatrava metro station.

West_Indian_Day_Parade_2008-09-01_woman_in_red_costume.jpg
171129509.jpg
Ticker-Tape-Parade-620x400.jpg
img_1887.jpg
image-1-l-a72d0390349bd97b325d0f05945cb314.jpg

Tourism Guide:

Last edited by a moderator:

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
THANKS for opening this Moxie.

i won't 'spam' it with ''non-tennis" politics. i know you get annoyed.

if i have to -- i'll post in more ''outside related" threads.

--

WHO ARE YOUR main picks?

Reactions: britbox and Moxie

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Cilic could be dangerous if he gets into the second week. I'll be interested to see if Thiem and Zverev can get into the second week. I like both of them.

Reactions: teddytennisfan

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
some beautiful pictures of NY, thanks a lot Moxie
for me Nole and Murray are fav but who knows what can happen before the final ??? some surprises are always possible, it's sport's law and I enjoy surprises very much

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
For me, Djokovic and Murray are the clear favourites.

still looks like that to me too. i think they're both head above others right now based on their year consistency. amazing really .

what's great is there's quite a healthy mix of challengers and the ever-so-slight ''vulnerability" of even NOLE AND ANDY - right at the height of their careers -- gives that bit of ''u never know" feature...

EXCITING to keep us really guessing, hehe.

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Cilic could be dangerous if he gets into the second week. I'll be interested to see if Thiem and Zverev can get into the second week. I like both of them.

THIEM did say he has been playing a bit much, didn't he? maybe coming to the USO - he's had a good rest - and should be in good shape. and eager.

CILIC - i was frankly VERY surprised at how consistently he obviously had to perform to take that cinci over HOT ANDY. i mean -- at the VEY moment - we all know it's been andy that's been THE player . and he has the game that easily disrupts any player - ESPECIALLY someone like cilic who hasn't been around much lately.

so i was really , really surprised. and when i caught their finals - i was even more suprised at how it was HE that made andy get so frustrated. ..ESPECIALLY because we know how well andy can PLAY THROUGH his temper and WIN... u know? LOL!!

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
that west indian parade is in my neighborhood - brooklyn -- THAT is somethign to behold, really. ! it's REAL fun compared to the older traditional other parades like the ''macy's" on thanksgiving ..the west indian parade is more like real community . i love it. also because it includes amazing caribbean FOOD on the streets!! yum, yum.

that calatrava new metro station -- i passed through there a month ago - when i was getting my tourist visa to st petersburg russia. it's almost finished they say - and the big open floor in the center right under the 'wings' roof is supposed to be like an open market with stalls, or something like that. you can just look down on from the balcony all around it.

makes that 9/11 come back to me -- passing under the actual devastation by the subway train - you could LITERALLY smell the death..for months and months..

Reactions: britbox

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
i'm nervous for my favorite SERENA. SHE'S been a bit ''off" lately - in terms of consistency, i think - and while it's understandable that it's been a VERY prolonged TOP player effort on her part - and at her age too - i just want her to continue and GET those few more MAJORS!! ALL THE WAY TO OVER 24!! HEHE.

she's got a few serious competition right now -- MUGURUZA AND KEYS can go toe to toe in power -- and KERBER is in her best year ever -- but .............NO ONE BUT NO ONE is better than SERENA AT HER VERY VERY BEST!! SO..........

COME ON SERENA!!

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
some beautiful pictures of NY, thanks a lot Moxie
for me Nole and Murray are fav but who knows what can happen before the final ??? some surprises are always possible, it's sport's law and I enjoy surprises very much

WHAT about RAFA? what do you all think about his form and chances? if he gets close to his former level - there's still FEW players around outside of Nole and Andy, and maybe Del Potro that can really be serious rivals in a match, i think...and if in good physical shape - we all know he's got the game, variety and experience to navigate the rounds -- done it 14 times, after all..

so i like to put him among the serious title contenders. or at least to the semis if not finals.

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

the zverev kid - he's literally a KID right? might be nice to see if he is matched up against -- ahem -- KYRGIOS!! hehe.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
the zverev kid - he's literally a KID right? might be nice to see if he is matched up against -- ahem -- KYRGIOS!! hehe.

Youngest player in the Top 50 at 19. He's got Daniel Brands in the first round - should win that one. "Sascha" Zverev and Dominic Thiem are my two faves coming through from the young guns.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Novak gets Jerzy Janowicz in the opening round. Rafa has gets Istomin. Milos has DreddyTennis - Dustin Brown, I'll be rooting for Dustin in that one, entertainer par excellence. Monfils has a potentially tricky match with Gilles Muller.

Ferrer has Dolgo - a tough first round for the Spanish veteran. Ditto... Stan with Fernando Verdasco.

Feliciano Lopez won't be too happy drawing Borna Coric in round one.

Andy Murray gets Lukas Rosol.

Some interesting first rounders!

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Novak gets Jerzy Janowicz in the opening round. Rafa has gets Istomin. Milos has DreddyTennis - Dustin Brown, I'll be rooting for Dustin in that one, entertainer par excellence. Monfils has a potentially tricky match with Gilles Muller.

Ferrer has Dolgo - a tough first round for the Spanish veteran. Ditto... Stan with Fernando Verdasco.

oi -- these are not run of the mill first rounders against the famous players.

Reactions: britbox

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
THIEM did say he has been playing a bit much, didn't he? maybe coming to the USO - he's had a good rest - and should be in good shape. and eager.

CILIC - i was frankly VERY surprised at how consistently he obviously had to perform to take that cinci over HOT ANDY. i mean -- at the VEY moment - we all know it's been andy that's been THE player . and he has the game that easily disrupts any player - ESPECIALLY someone like cilic who hasn't been around much lately.

so i was really , really surprised. and when i caught their finals - i was even more suprised at how it was HE that made andy get so frustrated. ..ESPECIALLY because we know how well andy can PLAY THROUGH his temper and WIN... u know? LOL!!

I hope Dominic is fully rested and fit - he played so much tennis earlier in the season he was due to hit a brick wall. I love this guy's game and he's the only one of the top youngsters coming through who plays with a single hander on the backhand wing.

He'll have to be ready... he's got John Millman in the first round - a journeyman Aussie, but in good form at the moment.

Last edited:

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I hope Dominic is fully rested and fit - he played so much tennis earlier in the season he was due to hit a brick wall. I love this guy's game and he's the only one of the top youngsters coming through who plays with a single hander on the backhand wing.

He'll have to be ready... he's John Millman in the first round - a journeyman Aussie, but in good form at the moment.

oh -- i caught millman's amazing game ! he IS good, such a tough player and fighter!!

he reminded me almost of Lleyton's fighting but millman has a more all-court style.

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions

Yeah, really interesting. Some of these matches could be a semi or a final of a ATP 250 tournament.

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
New York, New York....

It seems that all players 6-4 and taller are in Nole's path. That can't be good.:negative:

definitely they lumped them on NOLE. so here's where his legendary return of serve has to be on form!!! once the ball is in play -- it's HIS to lose.

Reactions: Billie