US Open 2018, Flushing Meadows, NY USA - Grand Slam (Men)

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
DATE: August 27 - September 9, 2018
SURFACE: HARD
PRIZE MONEY: $25,282,400
FIELD SIZE: 128
DEFENDING CHAMPION: Rafael Nadal

Seeds:
1. Rafael Nadal
2. Roger Federer
3. Juan Martín del Potro
4. Alexander Zverev
5. Kevin Anderson
6. Novak Djokovic
7. Marin Čilić
8. Grigor Dimitrov
9. Dominic Thiem
10. David Goffin
11. John Isner
12. Pablo Carreno Busta
13. Diego Schwartzman
14. Fabio Fognini
15. Stefanos Tsitsipas
16. Kyle Edmund
17. Lucas Pouille
18. Jack Sock
19. Roberto Bautista Agut
20. Borna Ćorić
21. Kei Nishikori
22. Marco Cecchinato
23. Chung Hyeon
24. Damir Džumhur
25. Milos Raonic
26. Richard Gasquet
27. Karen Khachanov
28. Denis Shapovalov
29. Adrian Mannarino
30. Nick Kyrgios
31. Fernando Verdasco
32. Filip Krajinović

DSC_0012.jpg

Photo: @Correspondent Kiu Kiu Kaffir/Tennis Frontier

The Tournament:

The US Open Tennis Championships is a hardcourt tennis tournament that began life as the U.S. National Championship in 1881.

The venue for the championship is the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in Flushing Meadows, Corona Park, Queens, New York City. It's former home was the Forest Hills complex.

The tournament consists of men's and women's singles, men's and women's doubles, and mixed doubles, with additional tournaments for senior, junior, and wheelchair players.

The US Open is the only Grand Slam that employs tiebreakers in every set of a match.

About New York (Travelogue by @Moxie )

Originally founded as New Amsterdam, New York is the financial center of the US, its most important arts, and theatre hub, as well as home to the United Nations. It is the most populous city in the US, with over 8.5 million inhabitants, located on one of the world's largest natural harbors. New York was also the first capital of the US.

P112203-W.jpg
1200px-Statue_of_Liberty_7.jpg
central-park.png

Tourism video:

Last edited:
Reactions: Moxie and Fiero425

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Willkommen, Bienvenue, Welcome to one of the world's great cities. The city that never sleeps. New York City.

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Djokovic in Federer’s quarter, and befire that he could meet Kyrgios!!

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Wouldn't it be a hoot if Ferrer, hustling on his last legs mounts a challenge and actually upsets Nadal in the 1st Round? :whistle: :p :rolleyes: :clap:

Ferret is done. He has been off the hot sauce for awhile and won't even make C-dal move around and tire out. Biggest threat in that QF would be Shapo but he probably won't make it that far. Nads might get KA who worships the ground he walks on.

Reactions: Fiero425

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kyrgios, Fognini and Novak from third round on for Roger. That is the nastiest quarter of the top seeds. Murray is with Sasha. Nadal looks like he got a less challlenging draw as playing Ferrer in the first round is much ado about nothing these days for the great Spanish Bull.

Reactions: britbox

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Juan Martin has Tsitsipas in his quarter.

He also has both Wawrinka, Murray , Isner, Raonic, Coric and Dimitrov. Not that all these guys are expected to win it all, but that’s a tough qtr if one of them gets red hot for a match or two....

Last edited:

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Juan Martin has Tsitsipas in his quarter.

He also has both Wawrinka, Murray , Isner, Raonic, Coric and Dimitrov. Not that all these guys are expected to win it all, but that’s a tough qtr if one of them gets red hot for a match or two....

The draws always look tough these days, but in the end, the same players are making it thru! Where's the real upset? The Next Gen will go down in flames again, so I think we can forget Raonic, Dimitrov, and others to make a dent! Expectations are killing them! :whistle: :nono: :facepalm:

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Fed has the toughest draw. Note that in order to be objective, I already mentioned some toughies in the NA hard season thread.
Now, Fed has to face Badboy, Headcase and Djoker in succession. I don't see Fed moving beyond the quarter. Would be lucky if
he reaches QF.

However, I am hoping against hope that Fed suddenly unleashes the TMF hiding in him and wins this USO.

I hate La Decima happening.

Reactions: The_Grand_Slam

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Fed has the toughest draw. Note that in order to be objective, I already mentioned some toughies in the NA hard season thread.
Now, Fed has to face Badboy, Headcase and Djoker in succession. I don't see Fed moving beyond the quarter. Would be lucky if
he reaches QF.

However, I am hoping against hope that Fed suddenly unleashes the TMF hiding in him and wins this USO.

I hate La Decima happening.

I agree. Federer may not even reach the fourth round based on current form.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I agree. Federer may not even reach the fourth round based on current form.

Weren’t People saying the same things about Novak before Wimbledon?

Let’s put things in perspective; Federer lost the Masters finals at Cincy; better then 99.99 percent of the ATP pre USO prep.

Last edited:
Reactions: britbox

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
year after year at USO dull gets a joke draw. If you still think it's not rigged, then you need help. It's so clear americans want Nadal to win USO, they like physical style. It's going to kill tennis.

Fed doesn't even have a shot at this. He basically needed dull's draw to win. Such a shame tennis is going to get destroyed by these rascals.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Not looking good for Roger at all. To have a shot at the title, he has to breeze through the first 3-4 rounds and I can tell you right off the bat, there will be at least 4 TB sets if he meets Nick. He gets through that gong show, Nole is right there waiting.
I don't see it happening.
Worst first round draw possible though? Stan-Grigor.