US Open, Flushing Meadows, NY USA - Grand Slam (Men)

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
The one thing that we all will agree is that Murray's quarter is the easiest one. He does not have anyone who can give a decent fight.
If he does not make it to SF, he has only himself or his hip to blame.

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions
Looking forward to the Roger - Zverev final :)

IF Roger makes it that far... On the other half of the draw...I'm going say Murray not Zverev makes the final IF he's fit. I think Cilic may take out Zverev in the QFs if HE is fit. Lots of "ifs"...

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
It's a crap draw for Roger - no need to sugar coat. If he gets past Kyrgios, then he may have to play Thiem. If he gets past those 2 and Nadal makes the semis, then he has to beat Nadal for a 4th time this year. And if he wins that match then he has to beat either Sascha Zverev, Andy Murray or Marin Cilic to win. And DelPo is lurking in Thiem's quarter as well, so no, NOT a good draw for Roger - especially if he's not 100% physically ready to go.

The other 3 quarters aren't nearly as packed. Even coming back off injury Murray shouldn't have much trouble making the semis. Ditto for Sascha Zverev. Nadal's play has been patchy all summer but he's probably his own biggest obstacle to making the semis.

Kyrgios is the big obstacle. Got to hope he goes down and if Fed's not 100% he could get ousted right away by Tiafoe. "On paper" the #3 seed wasn't bad but right now he'd wish he was #2 where Murray is.

However Thiem is the easiest QF he could've hoped for, if he gets to the QF he's got a good shot to win the tourney.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
If Roger has decided to play the USO is because he is feeling good, I don't think at this time and his age he would want to take the risk playing with a bad back knowing that discomfort would become a serious injury finishing with his career

Last edited:
Reactions: shawnbm

roberto

Futures Player
Reactions
Not sure why his back injury would be career ending. It's a chronic condition which he's had for years, and just flared up in Montreal (probably due to coming back from time off). He said it's feeling MUCH better--but what else is he going to say if he's in the tournament--I hope to make it to the quarters lol?

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Not sure why his back injury would be career ending. It's a chronic condition which he's had for years, and just flared up in Montreal (probably due to coming back from time off). He said it's feeling MUCH better--but what else is he going to say if he's in the tournament--I hope to make it to the quarters lol?
And if he won't you are going to blame his back, isn't?

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
I feel much, much better is not the same as I feel 100% recovered. Won't be hard to spot anyway if he's serving and moving like crap, except for the blind members here who fail to accept a guy serving 130kph first serves and not moving to balls is actually injured. Still has a few more recovery days left at least.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Well, the first sign having a bad back is not serving well and that is not the best help to play well on HC

Reactions: shawnbm

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Well, the first sign having a bad back is not serving well and that is not the best help to play well on HC

Last week it was "discomfort of the ego" in your own words that he skipped Cincinnati. At least you've finally come to your senses and seen the light which is good.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Last week it was "discomfort of the ego" in your own words that he skipped Cincinnati. At least you've finally come to your senses and seen the light which is good.
I will tell you in two weeks what light I will be seeing

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Kyrgios is the big obstacle. Got to hope he goes down and if Fed's not 100% he could get ousted right away by Tiafoe. "On paper" the #3 seed wasn't bad but right now he'd wish he was #2 where Murray is.

However Thiem is the easiest QF he could've hoped for, if he gets to the QF he's got a good shot to win the tourney.

If it was the qtrs or later..I would say Roger would not be too worried bout meeting Crazy Nicky ..but since it's a 3rd round..Nicky "happy pills" should be still potent enough to keep him interest in hanging around. I am quite sure it may be a night match and just as he did in Miami, crazy Nicky will be playing for the crowd. I still favor Roger in 5 sets because Nicky's meds will wear off by then.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Both Roger and Rafa have tough draws. In particular both of them have tough openers. Tiafoe just beat a (tired) Sasha. Lajovic is a big server and fits the type of players against whom Rafa will have trouble. Roger has to deal with Nick in R4. Rafa might potentially have to deal with triple F in R4 (FFF was hitting winners from any spot when he last played Rafa at USO).

Roger's QF opponents sound benign: a pusher RBA or a clay courter Thiem. Rafa might have tougher time with Grigor at QF.

It looks like time is right for a surprise winner this year.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
If it was the qtrs or later..I would say Roger would not be too worried bout meeting Crazy Nicky ..but since it's a 3rd round..Nicky "happy pills" should be still potent enough to keep him interest in hanging around. I am quite sure it may be a night match and just as he did in Miami, crazy Nicky will be playing for the crowd. I still favor Roger in 5 sets because Nicky's meds will wear off by then.

Nope, it is not in third round. It is in fourth round. Nick has to play Uncle Sam in third round. That match could be in court 17. Nick might not be motivated enough to win against Uncle Sam, an opponent that is not worthy.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Murray has the easiest section by far. Fed has Tiafoe and Kyrgios. We will find out quickly if his back is decent
Fed got the draw that Nadal typically gets..maybe the solar eclipse will provide some good juju for Rafa's return game..Grigor will be a tough match for Rafa if they meet.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Nope, it is not in third round. It is in fourth round. Nick has to play Uncle Sam in third round. That match could be in court 17. Nick might not be motivated enough to win against Uncle Sam, an opponent that is not worthy.
I tell ya when I skip breakfast and no java , my sight isn't the best..thanks GSM..Nah Uncle Sam will take out Nick..I agree..Nick may not be motivated is a very proper analysis..Fed will have safe passage..

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Hey, you're talking about Querrey, the guy who beat Djokovic at Wimbledon. Be a little kinder. :)

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Tiafoe needs one big, high profile win to breakthrough to another level, and this could be it - if Roger isn't healthy.

Roger's draw is hard, but if his back flares up again then it won't matter - he'll lose to someone. If not, if he's healthy, then he'll do just fine.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Remember guys, the draw is only a paper. Tournament by tournament many things change, we just have to go day by day and to see how each one is playing. Also we have to count with injuries, discomfort, sickness, blisters and etc etc etc

No offense, Carol, but you say some version of this in almost every new tournament thread. Everyone gets this. But part of the fun of a message board is speculating about the draw and match-ups. I'm not sure why you feel like that's such a problem. Yes, stuff happens - life (and tennis) is complex. But that doesn't mean we cannot happily speculate. It's all just harmless fun.

Reactions: ftan