Flushing Meadows Corona Park Cafe : 2013 U.S. Open

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

lets get this party started. u.s. open is closer than you think.

who do you like and why?

and what about a dark horse?

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
RE: 2013 U.S. Open Sidewalk Cafe Chats

I think we have seen some hard court action. we saw it at indian wells and we saw some at Miami masters.

we have also seen them on clay and we have seen them on grass.

so it seems that we may be able to draw fairly reliable conclusions from all that we have seen.

I am certainly prepared to make some predictions. as a matter of fact the whole world is already talking about the last slam of 2013.

here are my predictions:

1. I think will pick andy murray to take the title. incidentally I had also predicted that he would take the last u.s. open title fully 2 months before it happened.

I also predicted that he would make history at Wimbledon and he did.

2. del potro

3. nole

4. nadal

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca

Meant summer hard -court action brother. Canada and Cincy ...I personally gotta see those...(not that they always tell the story but still). But your prediction of Murray seems very sensible as of now.

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

I think we may see some of the top guns skip cincy. I just have a feeling that somebody like nole might skip it.

some other may follow suit.

what do you think? is there a reason why some of them should skip cincy?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

^ So excited for you, Murat! I hope you get some good tennis.

And I agree we need to see how things shake out in August before feeling like we have a bead on it, but, since you've deigned to visit us, Clay Death, I'll bite:

Murray (The Defender) and Djokovic will likely be neck-and-neck for the odds-on favorites. Federer and Nadal have to be in there, too. Del Potro is likely in the top 5 faves, right now, and I don't think he can be considered a Dark Horse, having won it. At the risk of having my patootie handed to me later, I would predict that Berdych may not feature as much as he did last year. Tsonga could, and maybe even Verdasco for a big spoil. The shiny new Jerzy Janowicz may get to the QFs, and so could also be a spoiler, depending on where he lands in the draw. If Monfils brings his game, he could also be a spoiler. I have no Dark Horse, since I've said that Del Potro can't be considered. At this early stage, I would say there are 5 possible winners, maximum, and no one else is an option.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

Summer hard courts are much different from IW and Miami. I doubt any of Djokovic, Murray or Fed will skip 1 of the MS events. But I'd think Nadal might skip Cincy depending on how he does in Canada. If he goes deep there he might skip Cincy but if he loses early in Canada I doubt he skips it. That'd be too little match practice.

I think Nole and Murray are neck and neck as favorites. A final at the USO between them would figure to be close to a tossup with the intangibles likely favoring Murray (just creamed Djokovic at Wimbledon and also beat him at USO last year).

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Moxie629 said:
^ So excited for you, Murat! I hope you get some good tennis.

And I agree we need to see how things shake out in August before feeling like we have a bead on it, but, since you've deigned to visit us, Clay Death, I'll bite:

Murray (The Defender) and Djokovic will likely be neck-and-neck for the odds-on favorites. Federer and Nadal have to be in there, too. Del Potro is likely in the top 5 faves, right now, and I don't think he can be considered a Dark Horse, having won it. At the risk of having my patootie handed to me later, I would predict that Berdych may not feature as much as he did last year. Tsonga could, and maybe even Verdasco for a big spoil. The shiny new Jerzy Janowicz may get to the QFs, and so could also be a spoiler, depending on where he lands in the draw. If Monfils brings his game, he could also be a spoiler. I have no Dark Horse, since I've said that Del Potro can't be considered. At this early stage, I would say there are 5 possible winners, maximum, and no one else is an option.

I am here to stay woman. we are going to fire up "The Castle" here and have a good old time.

I am on the team here.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

I agree that Nadal will see how he does in Montreal before committing to Cincy. Everyone else (of the Big 4 and otherwise) will likely play.

If Andy and Novak played the USO final tomorrow, I'd give the win to Murray. But there's a lot to happen before that.

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

tough to say what the clay warrior has in mind at the moment.

I think since he lost so early at wimby, he should have played 2 small clay events to keep his ground game somewhat sharp.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

I disagree. He's played a lot of tennis since the comeback, and doesn't need a couple of piddly little clay events to be sharp. He has learned to be sharp from the get-go. (See "comeback.") I think his goal has to be to tighten up the HC game, but not play too much, then go into the USO very ready, with knees rested.

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

so why was he not sharp at Wimbledon? against darcis of all the people who wins less than 28% of his matches at slams while the clay warrior wins 88% of all his matches at slams.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

^ I would say for the same reasons that most do. Nadal didn't have his grass legs, and Darcis was spectacular. Playing clay 250s is not going to get Nadal in shape for the HC season, and over-playing has been the knock on him for years. He's got nothing but points to gain, and won't help himself by playing before he needs to.

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

I am more worried about his ground game and his fitness moxie. not playing is not helping.

he is in Mallorca right now practicing on the hard courts. that is way too risky given his knee.

nole practices year around on clay to keep his ground games sharp and his knees healthy.

and you can see what the rest of the tour is doing. they are all on clay.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

^ (I can't quote your post because of your over-bearing signature. Would you consider turning down the brights on that one? Thanks.)

Again, I disagree. I'm not sure what intel tells you that Novak practices year-round on clay, and I'm not even sure how that is germane. Certainly, Rafa doesn't need to work on his clay-chops. Some of the rest of tour may be working on clay right now, but none of the players that matter are. What Rafa needs is rest and focus on the USO.

Mog

Pro Tour Player
Reactions

1972Murat said:
I like the fact that I will be going to my first US Open, September 3, day session at the Ash. As for some predictions, I gotta see some hard court action before getting into that.

Enjoy your trip to USO, Murat.. you will love the atmosphere.
I will be going in the first week, as I go every year. The outer courts are fun to watch in the fitst week.

Moxie629 said:
If Andy and Novak played the USO final tomorrow, I'd give the win to Murray. But there's a lot to happen before that.

I also give slight edge to Murray but as you said " lot to happen before that"
Murray and Djoko are ahead of all but Nadal and Federer will be there too.

lacatch

Pro Tour Player
Reactions

I disagree with Moxie that Rafa doesn't need the match practice. He's clearly a "confidence" player--more than most of the top guys---and hasn't played since flaming out in Wimbledon. Fast hard courts are his least favorite surface, so between that and his knees, I think he's going to have a hard time this summer. As to giving the edge to Murray at the US Open--there is FAR too much real estate between now and then to make any call like that, except if someone preferred Murray to Djoker at all costs in order to keep more distance in slam count between the latter and Rafa. Hmmmmm.....

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

I believe we've all said it's too early, Lacatch, but we're playing along. And some might pick Murray because he just won Wimbledon over Djokovic, and beat him at the USO final last year, if we were to pick this soon. No need to read in, hmmm?

I understand that the feeling is that Rafa is a confidence player and needs match play, but even he has said that he's learning to have confidence without playing more tennis than he should. It's a different attitude, which he needs to adopt. Anyway, I don't see how a few clay 250s would be of help in the HC swing.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

lacatch said:
I disagree with Moxie that Rafa doesn't need the match practice. He's clearly a "confidence" player--more than most of the top guys---and hasn't played since flaming out in Wimbledon. Fast hard courts are his least favorite surface, so between that and his knees, I think he's going to have a hard time this summer. As to giving the edge to Murray at the US Open--there is FAR too much real estate between now and then to make any call like that, except if someone preferred Murray to Djoker at all costs in order to keep more distance in slam count between the latter and Rafa. Hmmmmm.....

I don't think Moxie or anyone is being overzealous in stating Murray would be a slight favorite over Djokovic if they are to meet at the USO. A win like Wimbledon can have residual effects the next time they meet on a big stage. And a head to head matchup between them on fast hards is very close to call as is. AO and FO it's clear Nole has a edge over Murray. Wimbledon it's definitely Murray and USO is about a tossup. But there is a lot of time between now and then and 3 who can spoil that party (Fed, Rafa and DP). Horrid season, old age and all, Roger especially is not someone those guys want to see on fast hards. I don't think he can beat all 3 in a 4 day period but it's not really an upset if he takes out 1 or even 2 of them.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions

Don't forget the wind had a HUGE impact on the outcome of last year's US Open. Berdych was clearly unable to play against Murray as his ball toss is way too high for such poor conditions (couldn't serve at full speed all match as a result and his normally killer groundstrokes were all going miles long) and Djokovic is the weakest of the top 4 when it comes to handling windy conditions imo and this comes from observation of many matches played in poor windy conditions. Murray, Fed, Nadal all adapt their games much better to windy conditions and this greatly aided Murray's win last year against Djokovic. Personally I hate watching matches in conditions like that where they have to use a lot of pusher rallies in fear of over hitting. Fingers crossed conditions will be much better there this year and make it a more even playing field for everyone.