Reactions
Title defence is on track into the SF with a SS win over Sasha 63 62 64
I still feel Charly can go to another level!, he can bring it when required

Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Todd Woodbridge made a interesting comment regarding Charly volley's skills
Todd said has far as he is concerned Charly is right up with the best volley players, Edberg, Rafter, Federer, John Mac,Rosewall

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Title defence is on track into the SF with a SS win over Sasha 63 62 64
I still feel Charly can go to another level!, he can bring it when required
Having poured over numbers to an obsessive level, I can tell you that at this point, if Chuck doesn't become at least a 6+ Slam winner, he'll be a disappointment. And really, he's on pace for more than that.

I mean, I suppose there's a possibility that he's a Jim Courier, and is peaking in his early 20s. But I don't see that, and really Courier is more unusual than guys who go on to greater heights after such a high early level.

So yeah: worst-case scenario and he's Boris Becker. Not too shabby. But unlike Becker, he's an all-court threat, and further unlike Becker, there's no sign of a Sampras or Agassi on the horizon (though I still have high hopes for Rune, and maybe Fils).

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Having poured over numbers to an obsessive level, I can tell you that at this point, if Chuck doesn't become at least a 6+ Slam winner, he'll be a disappointment. And really, he's on pace for more than that.

I mean, I suppose there's a possibility that he's a Jim Courier, and is peaking in his early 20s. But I don't see that, and really Courier is more unusual than guys who go on to greater heights after such a high early level.

So yeah: worst-case scenario and he's Boris Becker. Not too shabby. But unlike Becker, he's an all-court threat, and further unlike Becker, there's no sign of a Sampras or Agassi on the horizon (though I still have high hopes for Rune, and maybe Fils).
Agree with your comments I also feel Alcaraz should be able to be at least a 6+ slam winner, his game to me translates now on all surfaces, especially after his Wimbledon win this year, hopefully he is able to stay healthy in his career going forward

Reactions: shawnbm and El Dude

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
You don’t say!

Thats why we luv ya, El Dude, somebody has to do the heavy lifting! ; )

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Based on what I have seen Alcaraz is the huge favorite to win slam #3, only Shelton could possibly stop him and that's if he has a perfect offensive tennis day. But that's a big IF. But Meddy & Pushovic stand no chance.

• Haha
Reactions: Fiero425

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

It's hard not to think that Charly has 6+ Slams in him, given his age and level, and all of his many positives. I hope so, and hope the best for him.

I also hope that you don't mind my bringing this back, but I was thinking of a comment you made during the Alcaraz d. Rune match at Wimbledon this year. I was talking to my friend when we were at the USO on Saturday, and discussing Alcaraz relative to his peers. It put me in mind of the Nadal/Gasquet comparison, when both were promising up-and-comers. Your recent comment during Alcaraz v Rune was that it reminded you of Nadal v Federer, and not in a good way. I thought that was a disproportionate comparison, but couldn't say exactly why. I think that Nadal/Gasquet is a much better comparison, in that moment, thinking of their match in the 2005 FO, when it was the battle of the 18-year-olds. They are also nearly exactly the same age, and came up through juniors together. What I'm hoping, however, is that Rune doesn't end up being the Gasquet in that equation. That he becomes the great rival, a la Federer or Djokovic. I think it's just hard to be a 20-year-old, or a 22-year-old, when there's a prodigy rising. Or, I suppose, to be a 36-year-old for the same reason. Djokovic must be so pissed. That's what my friend said, on Saturday. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Zverev most feel like he’s got beat up by some real Nazis. So much for him being back. Back in the hair salon, maybe.

2 good semis to look forward to, hopefully…

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
True, true. From a historical/stat-nerd perspective, he has an interesting career. 8 big titles is a LOT -- and he's got two Tour Finals and an Olympics gold among them. Just given his age, he's probably going to win several more and end up with 30+ titles (he's at 19 now). But he's also a guy who I could really see never winning a Slam.

If he was 5-10 years younger, he'd probably have far fewer big titles. Kei Nishikori never won one, and his Elo isn't much lower (2296). Ferrer only has one.

To be fair to Zverev, though, he didn't just have cake-walks in his big title wins. He had to beat at least one of the Big Three in all but two of his big titles. So maybe unlike Kei or Ferrer, he had explosive flashes of weaponry to beat the best. I suppose he was more like a slightly better and more consistent Tsonga, at least for a few years. Or maybe a lesser Stanimal with less back-bone and endurance.
Do you mean 5-10 years "younger" or 5-10 years "older?" Older, and wouldn't he be lost generation? If he were 5 years younger, he'd be 21, and totally in the game. If he were 10 years younger, he'd barely be starting on the ATP.

He didn't cake-walk his titles, which is why he's been disappointing. You must remember that AO 2017 when he took Nadal to 5. He seemed so on the cusp of greatness, but not so much really has come of it. Sure, some nice titles. But what's his best win? His signature win?

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
One thing Carlos has said is a huge motivator for him in New York is to be the first player since Roger to defend the title. Hard to believe it’s been 15 years since this was last done, but put in the context of his mindset against his remaining opponent(s?) it’s a help to him to be not focused on individuals but on this…

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Todd Woodbridge made a interesting comment regarding Charly volley's skills
Todd said has far as he is concerned Charly is right up with the best volley players, Edberg, Rafter, Federer, John Mac,Rosewall
No..I'm don't think Carlos is as good as Rafa near the net.. Johnny Mac has stated numerous times that he felt Rafa's volley skills was the best in the game. However because he is known as a baseliner he is not going to be considered one of the best of all time..

Carlos is good but the little time he has been on tour is to small of a sample size

Last edited:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
No..I'm don't think Carlos is as good as Rafa near the net.. Johnny Mac has stated numerous times that he felt Rafa's volley skills was the best in the game. However because he is known as a baseliner he is not going to be considered one of the best of all time..

Carlos is good but the little time he has been on tour is to small of a sample size
Certainly at this age Carlos is far advanced on Rafa at the net. I think Rafa eventually became one of the great technically reliable volleyers and overhead players, but Carlos has much more wit and touch at the net already. He’s Federer-like, in that regard…

Reactions: shawnbm

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
As good as Roger at the net??
I say he’s like Federer in his touch and his ability to do the unexpected at the net. Probably not as good as Roger, but only probably. That’s a better comparison than with Rafa…

Reactions: shawnbm

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I say he’s like Federer in his touch and his ability to do the unexpected at the net. Probably not as good as Roger, but only probably. That’s a better comparison than with Rafa…
If you are saying that Carlos skills around the net is technically fundamentally advanced for his young age whereas Rafa at age 20 . I can understand that point..Go back to watch Rafa's technique at that age, it was pretty good but now it's impressive. Borg and Conners skill at the net were also pretty good..I think Johnny Mac and Vitas had the best hands at the net in their era..

Maybe on YouTube there maybe some old footage of John and Vitas having a doubles drill..I remember once those two hit about 15-20 balls in a row. It was amazing

Getting back to Carlos, I saw his exchange with Sasha during the first set. It was really good, his hand and I coordination is at the high level..

Reactions: Kieran

PhiEaglesfan712

Masters Champion
Reactions
Based on what I have seen Alcaraz is the huge favorite to win slam #3, only Shelton could possibly stop him and that's if he has a perfect offensive tennis day. But that's a big IF. But Meddy & Pushovic stand no chance.
The winner of Alcaraz/Medvedev is going to win the title. They've played the higher level tennis and against better competition.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Certainly at this age Carlos is far advanced on Rafa at the net. I think Rafa eventually became one of the great technically reliable volleyers and overhead players, but Carlos has much more wit and touch at the net already. He’s Federer-like, in that regard…
Carlos is amazing at the net. His reflexes are something else and the touch, he makes volleys look easy and it's far from it, fantastic control and accuracy.

Alcaraz will reach the final without breaking the sweat and he is going to be a favorite to win a final IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.