The nearly men of Tennis

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
I wouldn't disqualify JMDP or Soderling because of injury/illness, though I think they're in different categories.

Actually, my point (or my question), was in the opposite direction. At least IMO, JMdP and Soderling would be multi-slam winners (from 2 to 5) if it wasn't for the injuries. If Gerulaitis was not stopped by injuries -- that is, if he was not stopped by anything outside his game, then the comparison is not so great, because that would put JMdP and RS one or two steps above him.

Reactions: GameSetAndMath

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Actually, my point (or my question), was in the opposite direction. At least IMO, JMdP and Soderling would be multi-slam winners (from 2 to 5) if it wasn't for the injuries. If Gerulaitis was not stopped by injuries -- that is, if he was not stopped by anything outside his game, then the comparison is not so great, because that would put JMdP and RS one or two steps above him.

………...and you expect Moxie to understand this kind of logic. :nono:

Reactions: Fiero425

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Just to be clear, I'm not that familiar with Gerulitis's game, but I rather felt he found his water level. I'm not sure how much he was stopped by injuries as much as by coke and Studio 54. He did clean up his act, and his death was a random tragedy, but his career was rather a victim of the times.

That said, if not for injuries, I think it's hard to say that JMDP couldn't have found 5, and that would have been at the expense of the Big 3/4, of course. For Soderling, I feel less clear. However, you said he was the original Wawrinka. Maybe he'd have cleared up where Wawrinka did, and deprived him of 1 or 2 of his.

Reactions: Vince Evert

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Just to be clear, I'm not that familiar with Gerulitis's game, but I rather felt he found his water level. I'm not sure how much he was stopped by injuries as much as by coke and Studio 54. He did clean up his act, and his death was a random tragedy, but his career was rather a victim of the times.

That said, if not for injuries, I think it's hard to say that JMDP couldn't have found 5, and that would have been at the expense of the Big 3/4, of course. For Soderling, I feel less clear. However, you said he was the original Wawrinka. Maybe he'd have cleared up where Wawrinka did, and deprived him of 1 or 2 of his.

Vitas in his hey day was a superb athlete and serve vollier with good anticipation skills but was not really a main threat to his rivals at that time, mainly Bjorn, John or Jimmy Connors.
What follows is my youtube upload from a few years ago of the 1981 U S Open semi final highlights when he played McEnroe. Match ended on a controversial call i hope you will like (including my editing skills) :-)2

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Scanlon was just a male version of "Pam Shriver;" in the look, the short curly hair, and the relentless attacking game! IMO his only real claim to fame was defeating Ilie Nastase a couple times after he got on the tour! I can't for the life of me remember this upset at the USO in '83! I can't think of a single match worth remembering of his really! Connors winning the title probably blocks a lot of memories of the event outside of Martina winning her 1st ladies titles over Evert! :whistle: :oops: :rolleyes: :ptennis:

Wasn’t Bill Scanlon the guy Mac refused to shake hands with at the end of a match once?

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Wasn’t Bill Scanlon the guy Mac refused to shake hands with at the end of a match once?

It's possible! I'll have to go check! John could be as classless as they come "when upset" even though he comes off the most rational person in a room! He was the #1 player in the world in singles and doubles, but if Fleming actually beat him, they wouldn't speak for a few days! I still for the life of me can't even remember the Scanlon match! I didn't start seriously taping until '84 on BETA format and after this many years, I guess I needed to see it a few times for it to make an indelible impression! :facepalm: :banghead: :cuckoo: :eek: :rolleyes: