The Job Of An ATP World Tour Umpire and who's your favourite?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
That was interesting, thanks! My top umpire is Mohamed Lahyani. He's genial, calm and has a lot of panache, too. Second is Carlos Bernardes. Both have great smiles, as a bonus. Carlos Ramos is good, and the most handsome, IMO. Eva Asderaki is excellent, and broke the glass ceiling of calling big men's matches, too. And of course, the Barry White of chair umpires, Kader Nouni, just to listen to his voice. Nouni, for some reason, usually calls women's matches.

In the spirit of your video, when I was googling how to spell "Lahyani," I found this interview with him. Also informative: http://www.tennispanorama.com/archives/16749

Reactions: britbox

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
That was interesting, thanks! My top umpire is Mohamed Lahyani. He's genial, calm and has a lot of panache, too. Second is Carlos Bernardes. Both have great smiles, as a bonus. Carlos Ramos is good, and the most handsome, IMO. Eva Asderaki is excellent, and broke the glass ceiling of calling big men's matches, too. And of course, the Barry White of chair umpires, Kader Nouni, just to listen to his voice. Nouni, for some reason, usually calls women's matches.

In the spirit of your video, when I was googling how to spell "Lahyani," I found this interview with him. Also informative: http://www.tennispanorama.com/archives/16749

Good read @Moxie, thanks. That website is actually pretty good all around.

Good choices on the umps.

I like Carlos Bernades best I think, of the male umps, but even he's topped by Eva. She's got eyes like a hawk and nails it almost every time.

6a00e54fc623c8883301b7c6d9abdc970b-pi.jpg

Reactions: Billie and Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Good read @Moxie, thanks. That website is actually pretty good all around.

Good choices on the umps.

I like Carlos Bernades best I think, of the male umps, but even he's topped by Eva. She's got eyes like a hawk and nails it almost every time.

6a00e54fc623c8883301b7c6d9abdc970b-pi.jpg

She is great, but never breaks a smile. Which is totally fine. One reason I really like Bernardes and Lahyani is that they give off a certain relaxed vibe, which works well for the players and the spectators. Authoritative, but chill. But, yes, I'd be happy to see Eva in the chair on any important match. She's probably my 3rd favorite.

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
Carlos for the vibe and Eva for accuracy and competency. She must have made a bad call sometime but I have yet to see it.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Pascal Maria ans Carlos Ramos