Syria heats up some more. Russia ups the ante.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The Syrian situation is becoming more complex by the day.

Russia has deployed 11 warships in Syrian waters with more sailing down the Suez canal.

http://live.wsj.com/video/russia-builds-up-naval-presence-off-syria/E756B2F9-9AD6-44E5-9F4C-43248A7F9074.html

The Russians are also supplying Syria with high-tech Air defense missiles by the end of the month and have also just announced that they will be sending state of the art Anti-ship cruise missiles. In the last few days alone, John Kerry, David Cameron, Benjamin Netanyahu and the UN Head Ban Ki-Moon have all visited Vladimir Putin.

It would seem that despite a whole host of groups/religions/countries being involved to some degree, that any realistic solution must include Russian interests.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Here's a two-page article in the New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/17/world/middleeast/russia-provides-syria-with-advanced-missiles.html?hp

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah, there's no telling how this will go. I thought Russia was leaning towards the west on it, but they're digging in. Israel also taking pre-emptive measures. There's chaos and real danger of this getting out of hand, if it isn't already out of hand...

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Russia won't trust the west after what happened in Libya. They approved the security council resolution to enforce a no-fly zone on the basis it was strictly to protect Libyan citizens. The British, Americans and French then over-extended their mandate and overthrew the regime. The Russians lost billions in contracts as the new puppets gave them all to the west.

Interestingly, you wonder if the west would have dared to go into Libya if Gadaffi had not decided to give up his nuclear program, got rid of his ballistic missiles and chemical weapons. This was to re-engage with the international community and have sanctions rolled back. Maybe that piece of history explains why Iran aren't in a hurry to do the same.

Other than controlling the natural resources, I suspect the main reason was to prevent Gadaffi introducing the new currency he wanted to roll across Africa. Saddam Hussein was also going to bin the dollar as the Iraqi oil currency before the americans invaded. If the Petro-dollar ceases to be the global currency then the United States is in huge trouble - they will cease to have a license to print money on the same scale.

Russia have big economic and military ties with Syria. Their only mediterranean naval base is in Syria and they have large military contracts. After Libya, they won't let this go the same way without flexing their muscles.

I suspect the west part-engineered the original uprisings to weaken or overthrow the regime, partly to marginalize Hezbollah supply routes and isolate Iran. This has got way out of control since then. Quatar are funding one group, the Saudis another and the west others. These groups have one thing in common - a common enemy, but that's about it. Once that ceases to be the case, expect them to be fighting each other as they have completely different objectives, as have their proxy controllers.

I suspect this will get a lot worse before it gets better.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I am an isolationist. While I don't love Russia helping what is an awful regime, the bright side might be us not getting into another war where we end up supporting the opponents of a dictator who want to set up their own dictatorship or theocracy. Scary stuff.

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
I don't know if there is anybody who thinks Libya is now better off after the bloody war and so many casulties. The same can be said for Syria. Who is to say that the new regime is not going to be even worse than the current one. I don't think that ordinary people even know who these "rebels" are and what they represent. Many people won't even search for any other news agencies and articles to really find out what is going on in these remote parts of the World.

That guy is bad, it must be so because our policy is to push that. Never mind that education was free, public transportation as well, there were all kinds of benefits for young, married couple, every family deserved a decent home, if somebody wanted to continue their education abroad they were helped by their government, same goes for medical treatments.....just some of the things that people of Libya had under that terrible man. Well they don't have any of that anymore. They must be really happy now.

I am sad for ordinary people of Syria as they are the ones suffering the most and I hope that the bloodshed will stop soon.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Billie said:
I don't know if there is anybody who thinks Libya is now better off after the bloody war and so many casulties. The same can be said for Syria. Who is to say that the new regime is not going to be even worse than the current one. I don't think that ordinary people even know who these "rebels" are and what they represent. Many people won't even search for any other news agencies and articles to really find out what is going on in these remote parts of the World.

That guy is bad, it must be so because our policy is to push that. Never mind that education was free, public transportation as well, there were all kinds of benefits for young, married couple, every family deserved a decent home, if somebody wanted to continue their education abroad they were helped by their government, same goes for medical treatments.....just some of the things that people of Libya had under that terrible man. Well they don't have any of that anymore. They must be really happy now.

I am sad for ordinary people of Syria as they are the ones suffering the most and I hope that the bloodshed will stop soon.

Billie, you know the deal with western powers. They make a decision and then write the narrative to fit.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
britbox said:
Billie said:

Billie, you know the deal with western powers. They make a decision and then write the narrative to fit.

Well put. On this topic, I just started reading the book Dirty Wars: The World is a Battlefield by Jeremy Scahill (First book was Blackwater) about drone bombing.

In this video, he is not talking about Syria, but you get the general argument:
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syn37vdtqt8[/video]

huntingyou

Masters Champion
Reactions
Billie said:

Your enlighment catches my attention.........I'm so used to american stupidity that posts like this gives me hope for humanity. :)

Britbox,

why the distinction between Westen powers and Russia?

They all anwers to the same Lord; their place at the Game Board it's different of course but don't be fool by merely roles that needs to be play.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
huntingyou said:
Billie said:

Your enlighment catches my attention.........I'm so used to american stupidity that posts like this gives me hope for humanity. :)

Britbox,

They all anwers to the same Lord; their place at the Game Board it's different of course but don't be fool by merely roles that needs to be play.

Billie lives in Canada thus her lack of ignorance :D You think this is the land of the fools yet you choose to place yourself in such company :p

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
huntingyou said:
Billie said:

Britbox,

Far from it HY. Russia is a secular power. If you're thinking what I suspect then explain how most of the oligarchs of a certain leaning ended up either dead or behind bars as the Kremlin took back control of the country. Not everything revolves around a Bilderberg chess board.

huntingyou

Masters Champion
Reactions
britbox said:
Far from it HY. Russia is a secular power. If you're thinking what I suspect then explain how most of the oligarchs of a certain leaning ended up either dead or behind bars as the Kremlin took back control of the country. Not everything revolves around a Bilderberg chess board.

What secular power has to do with anything here? Sure, you have nationalistic interests at hands and nobody can be in it but rest assure, the higher powers in all countries involve have a common interest.

Not everything revolves around the agenda, humans are unpredictable but when it comes to wars, specifically whats going in Syria.....the Agenda is being push. Will the world bite? That's the question!

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think there are too many different agendas being pushed in Syria now - and it's just spiralled out of control. No idea how that will pan out - the government seem to have regrouped and are pushing the rebels back at the moment.

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Billie said:

Second that, i am extra impressed to see that coming from a Djoker fan. :clap

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The US has decided to arm the "rebels" - only the moderate rebels though... can you be moderately pregnant?

This theatre is going to end up in absolute chaos.

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I disagree with Obama's decision here--the global implications of this are disturbing. Iran, Hezzbollah, Lebanon, Israel, Turkey, Russia, USA, and soon the Brits and French are going to be sucked in. Two weeks from today will be 99 years since the Great War started and look at what lies ahead in Syria. LORD, have mercy.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
shawnbm said:
I disagree with Obama's decision here--the global implications of this are disturbing. Iran, Hezzbollah, Lebanon, Israel, Turkey, Russia, USA, and soon the Brits and French are going to be sucked in. Two weeks from today will be 99 years since the Great War started and look at what lies ahead in Syria. LORD, have mercy.

Brits have been agitating for it for months. The brit populace has a 10% approval of intervening but the government's dying to get involved - probably for arms sales.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I think regardless what happens there, that region is spiraling out of control and into a disastrous future. There seems to be no stopping this. The rebels are destroying and the Assad forces are decimating. I saw this just now, and of course now Syria faces the dreaded infestation of Islamism taking hold.

Arm the rebels? Arm the government? Pouring arms into that area only makes the arms suppliers culpable for what happens. I don't know of a solution, because neither side is good for Syria, but interference on the scale that's going on is just hammering the nail in.

Obama must also be fast becoming the least trustworthy, creepiest, most blood-curdling US president since I don't know when. A war-by proxy with Russia, fought out in Syria? Great idea! Some tough guy drone strikes from your tent a half a million miles away should help things, too. It's really a despairing moment in the history of western influence in the Middle East. I can only imagine that some huge and terrifying looms in the not so distant future...

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kieran said:
I think regardless what happens there, that region is spiraling out of control and into a disastrous future. There seems to be no stopping this. The rebels are destroying and the Assad forces are decimating. I saw this just now, and of course now Syria faces the dreaded infestation of Islamism taking hold.

Arm the rebels? Arm the government? Pouring arms into that area only makes the arms suppliers culpable for what happens. I don't know of a solution, because neither side is good for Syria, but interference on the scale that's going on is just hammering the nail in.

Obama must also be fast becoming the least trustworthy, creepiest, most blood-curdling US president since I don't know when. A war-by proxy with Russia, fought out in Syria? Great idea! Some tough guy drone strikes from your tent a half a million miles away should help things, too. It's really a despairing moment in the history of western influence in the Middle East. I can only imagine that some huge and terrifying looms in the not so distant future...
do you mean global thermonuclear war ?.