Syria

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I know a lot of you guys are from the States, so I was curious about your opinions on the war in Syria. The issue was raised during an interview with Nole, and uncharacteristic for a sportsperson he actually has quite strong views on it (obviously because he was bombed by the US himself).

This is a part of the interview:

Q. If I could, when you do see in the headlines possible air strikes and so forth, are you cautionary about that? Do you say, Oh, no? Any thoughts of what's going on now?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: I'm totally against any kind of weapon, any kind of air strike, missile attack. I'm totally against anything that is destructive. Because I had this personal experience, I know it cannot bring any good to anybody.

I agree with this, also mainly because I do not see the advantages of shelling Syria. Assad will probably use human shields and then say the US is targeting civilians. Better to provide for as much humanitarian relief for the people in need as possible. The irony of the whole situation is that this time there is actually use of chemical weapons (Iraq there wasn't) and that the war in Iraq gave Al-Qaida a base (Iraq, before the fall of the Hussein regime there was none since Saddam did not like jihadists) from which to enter Syria.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I am very against it! It makes me like Nole all the more to read that. My view is undoubtably Assad is bad, but dropping a couple of bombs will only add to the carnage. I also don't trust my own government with humanitarian military engagements. We have pulled this card a lot when it suits our geopolitical interests, but if they really wanted to deploy the military to prevent death, why did they sit on their hands during Darfur and Rwanda. Unless the U.S. builds up a track record of using its military wisely and with a sense of it being a last option, I don't support any U.S. military actions that are not (truly) defensive.

I am glad that Obama wised up and asked congress. It's not much, but it's something.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
i'm worried about the whole thing escalating into global thermonuclear war..

when Obama said no dice with the bombing until ufter a vote on sept 9th..i thought at least we can have the u s open concluded before having to worry about all that scary nonsense again..

deciding to watch The Day After the 1983 nuclear war film didn't help the mood I suppose but it was 'in my head' so I had to really :s

I thought how quickly the war scenario escalated over a few days, and that animated cartoon/film that on youtube also 'Nuclear War Begins'..where spookily Syria was central as the catalyst..:s

is it me getting paranoid or are other folk scared of stuff spiralling out of control towards nuclear conflict..lets face it..unless Russia stop arming and supporting Syria (the west are behaving like monkeys with grenades)..I don't see much room for happy thinking..:puzzled:nono:@

we had a Russian 'spokeman' on sky nrews on Friday I think and he was getting really agitated..going on about violating international law..and the west inventing stuff up..he reminded me of a bit in the day after where something similar is shown with a 'soviet spokeman' going on in a similar way..

anyway maybe all that 'thermonuclear stuff' will stay as fiction on youtube.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I was glad the UK stepped away after the government were defeated on the vote in parliament.

It's pretty obvious there were chemical attacks, but it makes no sense at this stage for it have been Assad. The Syrian government have made advances in the last couple of months, so why on earth would he use them now?

My guess it's probably a false flag engineered to get the west more directly involved rather than just fighting via proxies.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
that g20 summit is not going so well..

the uk folk (david Cameron and Gideon osbourne)..started going on about some new gassing claims about assad or something..

the Russians have "angrily dismissed those claims"..and a Russian official has also denied that he said "britian is a small island that everyone ignores and is only good for hosting Russian oligarchs"..

sounds like its not going too well then.

i'm not sure where barack "no I can't" Obama was in all this..prob confused and dithering like he usually is.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
JesuslookslikeBorg. said:

the uk folk (david Cameron and Gideon osbourne)..started going on about some new gassing claims about assad or something..

the Russians have "angrily dismissed those claims"..and a Russian official has also denied that he said "britian is a small island that everyone ignores and is only good for hosting Russian oligarchs"..

i'm not sure where barack "no I can't" Obama was in all this..prob confused and dithering like he usually is.

Obama was waiting on a congress vote to see if he was allowed tie his shoelaces.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
britbox said:
JesuslookslikeBorg. said:

Obama was waiting on a congress vote to see if he was allowed tie his shoelaces.

:laydownlaughing :D..hope they vote 'yes'..we don't want mr president tripping over his own feet..Vladimir might laugh.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
I have a huge problem with "Red Lines" .

So , Assad shoots, beheads, tortures thousands of people to a slow death and we are OK with it, but when he gasses them, that is not cool? What kind of BS is that? We are basically saying , go ahead and kill as many as you want, as long as you don't gas them. We are OK with the killing, but the way the killing is done is the issue? BS.

I would like to ask this to Obama if I had the chance " Mr Prez, if one of your family members were shot to death, the other beheaded, and another gassed, would you only take action against the last one?" The hypocrisy of it all is just too much.

For the record, I am against any attack against Syria. It will solve nothing, and it will create much worse problems. I am just so ticked off at this red line thing...

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
1972Murat said:
I have a huge problem with "Red Lines" .

So , Assad shoots, beheads, tortures thousands of people to a slow death and we are OK with it, but when he gasses them, that is not cool? What kind of BS is that? We are basically saying , go ahead and kill as many as you want, as long as you don't gas them. We are OK with the killing, but the way the killing is done is the issue? BS.

I would like to ask this to Obama if I had the chance " Mr Prez, if one of your family members were shot to death, the other beheaded, and another gassed, would you only take action against the last one?" The hypocrisy of it all is just too much.

For the record, I am against any attack against Syria. It will solve nothing, and it will create much worse problems. I am just so ticked off at this red line thing...

Spot on!

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
These things are rarely based on any humanitarian concerns or mission. Nearly always geopolitical. They find the reasons to sell the geopolitical war to the public back home. This war is so multi-layered though, it's almost impossible to predict what will happen.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
britbox said:
I was glad the UK stepped away after the government were defeated on the vote in parliament.

It's pretty obvious there were chemical attacks, but it makes no sense at this stage for it have been Assad. The Syrian government have made advances in the last couple of months, so why on earth would he use them now?

My guess it's probably a false flag engineered to get the west more directly involved rather than just fighting via proxies.

I tend to agree with this.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
nehmeth said:
britbox said:

I tend to agree with this.

I'd love to support my President, but without agreements from the surrounding countries, it makes no sense for us to go it alone! I have all the sympathy in the world for those people over there, but this has been going on for decades! Shelling the country will only make us more responsible for innocent lives lost! I say we have to take a pass and just suffer the consequences of past engagements that always seem to escalate past what was intended! Bush ruined it for the next decade or so lying about Iraq which everyone knew would be a disaster! Over 10 years later we're still paying the price; so much for gratitude, roses, and peace being the norm over there! No wonder these people HATE OUR guts! I don't blame them either! Obama has given us too much credit without explaining exactly what he wants us to do! It's a crying shame too!

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
There is no anti-war party in the U.S.!

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Republicans and conservatives have hit a new low, lauding Russia's leader Putin as "The Man" while trying to diminish our own President! My mom and others keep telling me, "you obviously haven't had to deal with racists and bigots before!" These people have no shame saying to themselves, "the enemy of my enemy is my friend; showing Obama is more of a threat to them! Some sick MF'rs! I'm disgusted and if someone even tells me they support such people, I'm going to write them off! Damn animals!

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Fiero425 said:
Republicans and conservatives have hit a new low, lauding Russia's leader Putin as "The Man" while trying to diminish our own President! My mom and others keep telling me, "you obviously haven't had to deal with racists and bigots before!" These people have no shame saying to themselves, "the enemy of my enemy is my friend; showing Obama is more of a threat to them! Some sick MF'rs! I'm disgusted and if someone even tells me they support such people, I'm going to write them off! Damn animals!

I agree that a lot of republican anti-war sentiment is disingenuous, but at least they are finally using their mad partisanship to a good end.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Riotbeard said:
Fiero425 said:

I agree that a lot of republican anti-war sentiment is disingenuous, but at least they are finally using their mad partisanship to a good end.

We'll see if you're still patting them on the back when the debt ceiling fight puts us under! I'm so done with these people I could spit! They are all too disgusting for words! They'd rather the country default and blackmail the President than to actually keep things on track! I'm truly done! I'm starting not to even care about people who would put these beasts into power! They must be satisfied with what these guys are doing! If I live long enough to see a Republican in the Presidency again, I better not hear any BS about respecting the off! Heaven knows Obama got none from these animals!