Slams that got away

tennisville

Major Winner
Reactions
I think this Australian Open is the one slam Nadal will look back and wonder what could have been. He was the over whelming favourate and had an opponent playing his first slam final. But stuff happenned and he lost .

For a Federer fan the one slam that still pains me today is US Open 2009 where I think he really should have won and choked big time. I still havent seen any footage from that match and will probably never be able to face it .

Another good call will be Safins loss to Johansson in 2002. Any other famous instances

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
As an Edberg fan - Chang at the French Open in 89. In hindsight, it would have meant a career slam.
Safin and Federer - agree with both of those.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Guillermo Coria not just rued the loss of the 2004 FO to Gaston Gaudio, it basically ended his career.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
McEnroe in Paris in 1984 is one of the most celebrated. Up 2 sets against Lendl in the final, he says a photographers camera clicking put him off in the 3rd...and then the 4th...and then...

Speaking of two-set leads and Mac, he was up two sets against Borg in the 1980 US Open final and Bjorn came storming back. They reached 3-3 in the fifth - and Borg double faulted.

Twice.

Mac jumped all over the gifted break points, and a few games later it was over. Billie Jean King watched the match at home and she said she could see it in Borg's eyes: he faced his big moment, and bottled it...

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I think US Open 2009 is the big one for Roger. Without a really bad drop shot he probably goes up 2 sets and that's all she wrote. Even after DP tied it up at 1 set each Roger had plenty of chances throughout the rest of the match.

That would have been monumental: Roger would be the only one to win 6 consecutive at a GS, he would have been the sole king of the USO with 6 titles, and most importantly if the AO 2010 had played out the same way he would have had a Roger slam if he had beat DP.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
DarthFed said:
I think US Open 2009 is the big one for Roger. Without a really bad drop shot he probably goes up 2 sets and that's all she wrote. Even after DP tied it up at 1 set each Roger had plenty of chances throughout the rest of the match.

That would have been monumental: Roger would be the only one to win 6 consecutive at a GS, he would have been the sole king of the USO with 6 titles, and most importantly if the AO 2010 had played out the same way he would have had a Roger slam if he had beat DP.

No one more close than Andy Roddick that last Wimbledon final against Roger in 2009! He was up a set and in a tie-breaker in the 2nd set with lead of 6-2; gave it all back, lost the set and allowed new life to Roger! He still had a chance going all the way to 16-14 in the fifth set losing his serve for the 1st time all set at 14-15! :cool:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
True, that was a heart-breaker for Andy.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
tennisville said:
I think this Australian Open is the one slam Nadal will look back and wonder what could have been. He was the over whelming favourate and had an opponent playing his first slam final. But stuff happenned and he lost .

For a Federer fan the one slam that still pains me today is US Open 2009 where I think he really should have won and choked big time. I still havent seen any footage from that match and will probably never be able to face it .

Another good call will be Safins loss to Johansson in 2002. Any other famous instances

Nadal has two "what could have beens" at the AO. An even bigger one was in 2012 when he was up 4-2 30-15 and missed a backhand sitter. In many ways that might have stung more since that was within his reach, whereas yesterday, he was outplayed in the first set and the injury all but sealed his fate.

US Open 2009 is an easy one for Fed to be sure. Should have won that match. It didn't sting much at the time because he was just coming off his career slam and breaking Pete's record, but in hindsight, everyone counts as far as legacies go, and the more the merrier.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah Wimbledon 09 is definitely the huge one for Roddick. I'm not sure I'd count AO 2012 for Rafa, it was similar in a way to RG '13 for Novak. In both matches the loser was getting badly outplayed throughout and then suddenly pulled won the 4th set out of nowhere and got up a break in a 5th before losing it. Those were winnable matches in the end yet they don't qualify as total collapses like some of these other ones.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
Guillermo Coria not just rued the loss of the 2004 FO to Gaston Gaudio, it basically ended his career.

True-ish. The main thing that ended it was the service yips. His double faulting when that started made Sharapova look like God by comparison it was so bad. It was a shame. I felt he had a lot left in him if not for his serve going to pieces.

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kieran said:
McEnroe in Paris in 1984 is one of the most celebrated. Up 2 sets against Lendl in the final, he says a photographers camera clicking put him off in the 3rd...and then the 4th...and then...

Speaking of two-set leads and Mac, he was up two sets against Borg in the 1980 US Open final and Bjorn came storming back. They reached 3-3 in the fifth - and Borg double faulted.

Twice.

Mac jumped all over the gifted break points, and a few games later it was over. Billie Jean King watched the match at home and she said she could see it in Borg's eyes: he faced his big moment, and bottled it...

Really, this was truly one that got away from one of the greatest players ever. If he had won this match, ... Sad for him, he imploded--although he did straight set Connors at SW19 (greatest beat down I've ever seen in a slam final) and straight setted Lendl in New York a few months later. It is still shocking to think that after his dominating year in 1984, he would return to only the final in New York in 1985. That was it for him in the majors. Incredible when you look back on it.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Front242 said:
Moxie629 said:

True-ish. The main thing that ended it was the service yips. His double faulting when that started made Sharapova look like God by comparison it was so bad. It was a shame. I felt he had a lot left in him if not for his serve going to pieces.

You are correct, and I was rather exaggerating the point, as many do on Coria. But I thought it mentally took him down and, imo, contributed to him getting the yips.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
DarthFed said:
Yeah Wimbledon 09 is definitely the huge one for Roddick. I'm not sure I'd count AO 2012 for Rafa, it was similar in a way to RG '13 for Novak. In both matches the loser was getting badly outplayed throughout and then suddenly pulled won the 4th set out of nowhere and got up a break in a 5th before losing it. Those were winnable matches in the end yet they don't qualify as total collapses like some of these other ones.

Novak's RG '13 loss was a semifinal, though, not a final, so it's different than the other examples in this thread, such as Roger's '09 USO, the '04 RG, '09 Wimbledon, etc.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
tented said:
DarthFed said:

Novak's RG '13 loss was a semifinal, though, not a final, so it's different than the other examples in this thread, such as Roger's '09 USO, the '04 RG, '09 Wimbledon, etc.

That's a fair point, about it being a SF. Final would have been still to be played, and if we learned anything from this weekend's final, no guarantees, even if you're the favorite. :nono

But I agree with Darth on the AO '12, as far as Rafa. It wasn't like he had the match in hand, for most of it, and doesn't quite qualify here.

tennisville

Major Winner
Reactions
Review of the 1984 final and looking back I feel this has to be the choke. No wonder Mcenroe still hasnt gotten over this match :cry I think he really should have won 1

The Plot: McEnroe had not lost a match all year and was the prohibitive favourite in this French Open final against Lendl, who was still seeking his first Grand Slam title at the age of 24. On this day in Paris, Lendl staged a remarkable comeback to hand McEnroe a bitter defeat, and proved that he had the caliber of a Grand Slam champion.

The Match: McEnroe is irate from the onset, but his tennis is on fire in the 1st two sets and Lendl seems a little tentative or even nervous. McEnroe breaks for 4-2 in the first set and holds on to take it. The 2nd set is even more one sided, as McEnroe displays great form and imposes his game to take the set 6-2 with two breaks of serve. Everything is going McEnroe's way until the beginning of the 3rd set, when at 1-1, 0-30 against Lendl, McEnroe gets upset with noise coming from the headset of a camera man, and he walks over to scream something into the headset. Excitement builds at 2-2. when Lendl breaks McEnroe, only to be broken back a few games later. Eventually this see-saw, but well-played set goes to Lendl 6-4.

In the beginning of the 4th set McEnroe has a great opportunity after he breaks and takes a 4-2 lead. However, his 1st serve is letting him down badly and Lendl gets back to 4-4. After an extended game at 6-5, Lendl secures the 4th set. The 5th set is an exciting affair, as McEnroe holds breakpoints against Lendl in the 6th game, but can't convert. Lendl seems to grow in strength after this, and McEnroe is looking ever more tired at this point in the match. Eventually McEnroe goes down 15-40 when serving 5-6. He saves one match point, but then pushes a very makable volley just wide on the 2nd to hand Lendl the match.

The bottom line: This match has a special status in tennis legend. McEnroe's apparent melt-down at 1-1 in the 3rd set is an oft-told story at many a tennis gathering. However, reliving this moment I don't find it all that dramatic, nor that it has such a great impact on the match. It is the missed opportunity at 4-2 in the 4th set that is of real interest in my opinion. At this point, the match becomes very much alike the later Chang-Edberg final of 1989, since McEnroe, like Edberg, simply runs out of gas and is unable to hold on to any lead from then on. That being said, and while the match has a very exciting storyline, it is tennis-wise not of the highest level, and in particular, there are only few moments where both players play well at the same time. There are many fine points and strokes, but it is the drama that pulls this match into the 90+ category, and makes this a classic match. For that it is recommended, but for the quality of tennis other matches are better.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
Front242 said:
Moxie629 said:

You are correct, and I was rather exaggerating the point, as many do on Coria. But I thought it mentally took him down and, imo, contributed to him getting the yips.

Yip, I agree :cool: Shame about those yips. He was a great player.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Either it breaks a player's heart or it builds their character the tough way.. Unfortunately, it happens to all of the tennis greats.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
tennisville said:
Review of the 1984 final and looking back I feel this has to be the choke. No wonder Mcenroe still hasnt gotten over this match :cry I think he really should have won 1

The Plot: McEnroe had not lost a match all year and was the prohibitive favourite in this French Open final against Lendl, who was still seeking his first Grand Slam title at the age of 24. On this day in Paris, Lendl staged a remarkable comeback to hand McEnroe a bitter defeat, and proved that he had the caliber of a Grand Slam champion.

The Match: McEnroe is irate from the onset, but his tennis is on fire in the 1st two sets and Lendl seems a little tentative or even nervous. McEnroe breaks for 4-2 in the first set and holds on to take it. The 2nd set is even more one sided, as McEnroe displays great form and imposes his game to take the set 6-2 with two breaks of serve. Everything is going McEnroe's way until the beginning of the 3rd set, when at 1-1, 0-30 against Lendl, McEnroe gets upset with noise coming from the headset of a camera man, and he walks over to scream something into the headset. Excitement builds at 2-2. when Lendl breaks McEnroe, only to be broken back a few games later. Eventually this see-saw, but well-played set goes to Lendl 6-4.

In the beginning of the 4th set McEnroe has a great opportunity after he breaks and takes a 4-2 lead. However, his 1st serve is letting him down badly and Lendl gets back to 4-4. After an extended game at 6-5, Lendl secures the 4th set. The 5th set is an exciting affair, as McEnroe holds breakpoints against Lendl in the 6th game, but can't convert. Lendl seems to grow in strength after this, and McEnroe is looking ever more tired at this point in the match. Eventually McEnroe goes down 15-40 when serving 5-6. He saves one match point, but then pushes a very makable volley just wide on the 2nd to hand Lendl the match.

The bottom line: This match has a special status in tennis legend. McEnroe's apparent melt-down at 1-1 in the 3rd set is an oft-told story at many a tennis gathering. However, reliving this moment I don't find it all that dramatic, nor that it has such a great impact on the match. It is the missed opportunity at 4-2 in the 4th set that is of real interest in my opinion. At this point, the match becomes very much alike the later Chang-Edberg final of 1989, since McEnroe, like Edberg, simply runs out of gas and is unable to hold on to any lead from then on. That being said, and while the match has a very exciting storyline, it is tennis-wise not of the highest level, and in particular, there are only few moments where both players play well at the same time. There are many fine points and strokes, but it is the drama that pulls this match into the 90+ category, and makes this a classic match. For that it is recommended, but for the quality of tennis other matches are better.

My lone memory about that '89 FO match is the dynamics were totally different than '84 final! McEnroe was controlling the match and very close to winning in straight sets! Edberg was always playing catchup, almost killing himself to take the 4th set and get it into the 5th! Everyone knew he wouldn't have much left; and he didn't, going out meekly, 6–1, 3–6, 4–6, 6–4, 6–2 to Chang!

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^ Your memory is playing tricks with you on the Edberg/Chang match. Edberg was 2 sets to 1 up and a break up in the fourth. Chang broke back. Edberg then had a ton of break points during the rest of the set and couldn't convert.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Front242 said:
Moxie629 said:
Front242 said:
Moxie629 said:

Yip, I agree :cool: Shame about those yips. He was a great player.

He was, and the last great clay-courter before Rafa. If he'd lasted longer, he might have made things tougher for Rafa on clay in 06 and 07. Just sayin'.