Allow women to play best of five sets in the closing rounds of Grand Slams

H

HeartHome2

I've started a petition to the Grand Slam Committee to allow women to play best of five sets in the closing rounds of Grand Slam tennis tournaments.

I'm trying to get at least 100 signatures so that the Grand Slam committee takes it seriously. So do please support it if you agree with it.

Here is the link to the petition:

https://www.change.org/p/bill-babcock-director-grand-slam-committee-grand-slam-committee-allow-women-to-play-best-of-five-sets-in-closing-rounds-of-grand-slam-tennis-tournaments

Best wishes.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Best of luck to you, but I think this will be a tough sell.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I don't want to see Chinese torture that long. Instead matches having about 15 breaks of serve, it will become like 25 breaks of serve if the matches were to go on for five sets. I don't think it is in the best interests of WTA or the players or the fans to do this and frankly, I don't think they will do it.

Having said that, I like your proactive approach.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
The women have said they are willing to and have been refused every time. You are not going to convince the powers that be because it helps with scheduling purposes. Do you think Federer or Djokovic is going to be happy if a women's match goes the distance and they are waiting 2 or 3 hours longer than they expected to wait?

colleen66

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
I'm not sure that I want to see 5 setters for the ladies at any point in the tournament. I predict that we would get only 2 maybe 3 quality sets with a couple of 6-0 or 6-1 sets thrown in to allow for one player to conserve energy.

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
I actually think the men should play 2 of 3 at the majors.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
10sfan said:
I actually think the men should play 2 of 3 at the majors.

I'm with you there. I'd rather see the guys go 2 out of 3 before the women go 3 out of 5. Besides, the women tried that in the past and it just didn't go that well. The men also have whittled everything besides the slams down to 3-set matches now too. When tennis is trying to figure out how to get their product into the TV lineup, I don't think they will voluntarily force themselves out of the market by making matches longer.

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
If 100 signatures are really all that is required, can we start a petition to ban on-court coaching and screaming on every stroke? These two improvements will go further in attracting viewers than lengthening matches, in my opinion.