Now that all the Slams have been played...

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Where do we think Serena will collect hardware next year or any player for that matter as long as everyone is healthy?

Australia-Serena/Azarenka
I think it is between those two ladies though Li can sneak in there as she likes playing down under, but I think Serena will want to make an impression and land number 18 quickly.

French-Sharapova/Serena
These are the two best clay courters at the moment. While Serena has improved leaps and bounds on clay, I think it is 50-50 that she may feel the pressure and heat to defend here, so it is possible for her to flame out. Though given her US Open win, this would be the only slam she hasn't defended, so extra motivation to make it happen, so she can say she has successfully defended at each of the slams once. Plus, it is an even year, if Sharapova is to win one it will happen possibly because of that. Again, Li can sneak in if she shows up, but I think this is between Sharapova and Serena.

Wimbledon-Serena
Serena will win this her pride alone in not winning it this year will make it so she does. No pressure clean slate nothing to defend really.

US Open-Serena/Azarenka
I am going to give the nod to Azarenka here and say she bests Serena in the final. She has put in her dues and lost 2 heart breakers to Serena. Hell, she even made me feel bad for her which is hard to do since I really don't like her. However, if not Azarenka, then Serena.

I am going to say Serena collects 2-3 slams. I am leaning heavily toward Australia and Wimbledon with a hope she can defend her French. Azarenka I will pencil in for the Us Open. If Serena doesn't defend the French, I will give it to Sharapova or possibly Li.

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
I agree with everything you wrote, Sunday. Two slams for Serena next year to break the American record. I am hesitant to predict beyond that because of the injury factor. Serena is at higher risk of injury as she gets older. I hope Li can win one more before retiring.

The Serena vs Vika rivalry is great for the sport.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
Where do we think Serena will collect hardware next year or any player for that matter as long as everyone is healthy?

Australia-Serena/Azarenka
I think it is between those two ladies though Li can sneak in there as she likes playing down under, but I think Serena will want to make an impression and land number 18 quickly.

I would give the edge to Serena, too.

French-Sharapova/Serena
These are the two best clay courters at the moment. While Serena has improved leaps and bounds on clay, I think it is 50-50 that she may feel the pressure and heat to defend here, so it is possible for her to flame out. Though given her US Open win, this would be the only slam she hasn't defended, so extra motivation to make it happen, so she can say she has successfully defended at each of the slams once. Plus, it is an even year, if Sharapova is to win one it will happen possibly because of that. Again, Li can sneak in if she shows up, but I think this is between Sharapova and Serena.

Roland Garros is always the most unpredictable, with people sneaking in out of nowhere. It's quite possible Serena will defend, but it's also unlikely given her history there. Li is a good guess. I'll also throw in a wildcard: Radwanska.

Wimbledon-Serena
Serena will win this her pride alone in not winning it this year will make it so she does. No pressure clean slate nothing to defend really.

Serena.

US Open-Serena/Azarenka
I am going to give the nod to Azarenka here and say she bests Serena in the final. She has put in her dues and lost 2 heart breakers to Serena. Hell, she even made me feel bad for her which is hard to do since I really don't like her. However, if not Azarenka, then Serena.

:laydownlaughing Me, too. And, yes, she may win it.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
If Vika learned nothing else from the slams of 2013, she should've learned that she's got to get that serve better. It caused her defeat at RG to Maria and twice in the USO finals she has come up short because of it. I won't annoint her a winner at the slams until she regain the 2012 AO serve.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I think she just needs to work on placement. She can probably stand to add 5 mph to that serve. You saw flashes of smart serving from her where she served into Serena's body and it worked. She just needs to gain consistency with placement and variety. I don't think she will ever have a serve that gets her cheap, easy points, but she can work on one that will set her up better.

RJD11

Major Winner
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
I think she just needs to work on placement. She can probably stand to add 5 mph to that serve. You saw flashes of smart serving from her where she served into Serena's body and it worked. She just needs to gain consistency with placement and variety. I don't think she will ever have a serve that gets her cheap, easy points, but she can work on one that will set her up better.

The problem is this. When someone thinks the have found a

chink in Serena's game, like a successful serve into her body

that Aza did, if you go to the well too often Serena fixes it.

fast. That time Maria's coach told her to hit to the Serena forehand

it worked for that one set then Serena's forehand became a

weapon. Nothing works for long. Vika was getting over with

dropshots. Serena fixed that and started dropshotting and

hitting lobs of her own to solve it.

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions
I would not predict Maria or Serena for F.O. I think Serena's focus will now turn back to the hard courts. ALthough I think in her push to win another F.O. she actually really just started to enjoy clay.

I think Vika is improving her game at the highest levels. People talked so much about how badly she played at the USO through all the rounds after 2nd. The truth is you can ALWAYS expect her to raise her level in the final. She finds a way to win in earlier rounds but she really saves her best game for later. Im not sure if this is a survival tactic or just dumb luck. Perhaps it has something to do with how she was taught to finally adjust to changing weather and heat conditions?

I don't expect to see Vika defend in Australia. That pressure is just too high. If Serena remains healthy I imagine she will win there fairly easily. Oz is one of her best tournaments.

I think Serena's body will start to show some wear next year. If her team is smart she will do less tournaments in a row like she did leading up to the USO this year and after Australia.

Predictions:

Australian Open: Serena or Vika

French Open: Totally random. I could possibly see Maria in the final but I don't think she will win.

Wimbledon: Serena if she's healthy.

USO: Vika. I think she loves playing in New York and she is great at big moments on big stages.

I would love to see Vika improve her clay and grass game. She needs to make some inroads at Wimbledon if she wants to raise her profile.

Calvy

Masters Champion
Reactions
10sfan said:
I agree with everything you wrote, Sunday. Two slams for Serena next year to break the American record. I am hesitant to predict beyond that because of the injury factor. Serena is at higher risk of injury as she gets older. I hope Li can win one more before retiring.

If she wins 2 slams, she wouldnt be breaking the American record, but tyine it. Remember Helen Wills Moody won 19 slams.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
RJD11 said:
Sundaymorningguy said:

The problem is this. When someone thinks the have found a

chink in Serena's game, like a successful serve into her body

that Aza did, if you go to the well too often Serena fixes it.

fast. That time Maria's coach told her to hit to the Serena forehand

it worked for that one set then Serena's forehand became a

weapon. Nothing works for long. Vika was getting over with

dropshots. Serena fixed that and started dropshotting and

hitting lobs of her own to solve it.

I didn't say it works for long, but like I said good placement and variety on serve can help her at least set herself up better in points. See though net play it did and it didn't work against Serena, she was 67% won for the match, she just needs to pick and choose her spots better to employ said tactics. The reason why it worked so well against Serena at least in set 2 especially was Serena was so far back behind the baseline.

revan

Reactions
I think Vika has a better chance to beat Serena at AO than USO.

1. The pressure to get to 18 will be higher early in the year and she may need that loss to get focused enough.

2. Vika has played her best tennis at the AO and won 2 years in a row.

3. Serena has made the USO finals 3 years in a row. In recent history, this is her best slam.

As for Serena not winning the french next year, when was the last time someone had a PREFECT clay season? Not to mention clay is easier on your body than hardcourt.

Right now i can't really make a pick as to which she wins. 3 she has won 5 times and the other, she just had a perfect season on the surface.

RJD11

Major Winner
Reactions
Calvy said:
10sfan said:

If she wins 2 slams, she wouldnt be breaking the American record, but tyine it. Remember Helen Wills Moody won 19 slams.

Lets face it, not many are calling Moody or Court the GOAT

Which tells me its not just about numbers.

Its mainly between Nav, Graf, and now Serena ( Maybe Chrissy

but Chrissy herself has said Serena was better than her ).

So passing Nav and Chris is the goal for now. If she

gets that goal then she will worry about Steffi I'm sure.

I don't think She is concerned about Moody or Court.

colleen66

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
revan said:

1. The pressure to get to 18 will be higher early in the year and she may need that loss to get focused enough.

3. Serena has made the USO finals 3 years in a row. In recent history, this is her best slam.

As for Serena not winning the french next year, when was the last time someone had a PREFECT clay season? Not to mention clay is easier on your body than hardcourt.

Right now i can't really make a pick as to which she wins. 3 she has won 5 times and the other, she just had a perfect season on the surface.

2. "Vika has played her best tennis at the AO and won 2 years in a row."
Although we will never know, I sincerely believe that Serena would have at least made it to the finals of the AO if she had not gotten hurt playing doubles. She was playing amazing tennis and had put on a serving display against Maria K in a earlier round. I am not so sure Vika would have repeated if she had faced Serena in the final. I think we all know that a healthy Serena would have beaten Sloane.

Calvy

Masters Champion
Reactions
RJD11 said:
Calvy said:
10sfan said:

It wasn't about whom was the greatest, it was about what the American record is. which is 19.

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions
Calvy said:
RJD11 said:
Calvy said:
10sfan said:

It wasn't about whom was the greatest, it was about what the American record is. which is 19.

Actually you're right and wrong. Most commentators and record books don't mention Moody as she played LONG before the open era. She is not listed anywhere in the WTA records article on Wiki. She may have been a great player, but record wise she isn't counted.

revan

Reactions
colleen66 said:
revan said:

2. "Vika has played her best tennis at the AO and won 2 years in a row."
Although we will never know, I sincerely believe that Serena would have at least made it to the finals of the AO if she had not gotten hurt playing doubles. She was playing amazing tennis and had put on a serving display against Maria K in a earlier round. I am not so sure Vika would have repeated if she had faced Serena in the final. I think we all know that a healthy Serena would have beaten Sloane.
I don't doubt it. I will pick Serena if she is healthy by that time. It's just, why do people pick the USO for Vika as her best chance to beat serena in a slam? AO=2 USO=0

Better chance imo.

Calvy

Masters Champion
Reactions
sk310 said:
Calvy said:
RJD11 said:
Calvy said:
10sfan said:

Actually you're right and wrong. Most commentators and record books don't mention Moody as she played LONG before the open era. She is not listed anywhere in the WTA records article on Wiki. She may have been a great player, but record wise she isn't counted.

The fact she isn't listed on Wiki don't not negate the fact she holds the American record. That's just oversight or disregard for history that she isn't mentioned. So, I'm not wrong, I'm right. Don Budge is the first to win a Grand Slam, and he isn't omitted due to the era in which accomplished it in, and neither should Wills-Moody.

Just for the record, during yesterday's broadcast of the womens final, one of the commentators stated, Serena was number 6 of slam winner all-time.

Those ahead of her, Court, Graf, Wills-Moody, Evert and Navratilova.

RJD11

Major Winner
Reactions
Garber

One more statistic: Serena has now played in 21 Grand Slam finals -- and lost only four. Only Margaret Court (11-1) has a better winning percentage.

Fourteen years after that breakthrough win, Serena overcame some seriously gusty conditions -- on the court and in her mind -- to defeat No. 2 Victoria Azarenka 7-5, 6-7 (6), 6-1 and defend her US Open title. It's the longest span for a women's champion at the same Grand Slam

Serena is the first player in the Open Era to win four Grand Slam titles as a 30-something (2012 Wimbledon, 2012 US Open, 2013 French Open, 2013 US Open); Court and Navratilova have three - See more at: http://www.wtatennis.com/news/article/3453148/title/seventeen-stats-for-seventeen-slams#sthash.Hwhr0C60.dpuf

Serena and Rafael Nadal have now won each Grand Slam together - the Australian Open (2009), the French Open (2013), Wimbledon (2010) and the US Open (2013) - they are the first male-female pair in the entire history of tennis, not just in the Open Era, to win all four Grand Slams together! - See more at: http://www.wtatennis.com/news/article/3453148/title/seventeen-stats-for-seventeen-slams#sthash.Hwhr0C60.dpuf

Serena now has 10 Grand Slam titles on hardcourts - five Australian Opens and five US Opens - more Grand Slam titles on hardcourts than anyone in the Open Era (she was tied with Graf at nine) - See more at: http://www.wtatennis.com/news/article/3453148/title/seventeen-stats-for-seventeen-slams#sthash.Hwhr0C60.dpuf

Williams plays in a different, more competitive era than Court. It won't be long before they call her the greatest player ever.

http://espn.go.com/tennis/usopen13/story/_/id/9651685/us-open-serena-williams-wrestles-way-more-history

Calvy

Masters Champion
Reactions
Why are you bring up who's the greatest?

That's not the topic, it's about the slams favorites for next year.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Calvy said:
sk310 said:

The fact she isn't listed on Wiki don't not negate the fact she holds the American record. That's just oversight or disregard for history that she isn't mentioned. So, I'm not wrong, I'm right. Don Budge is the first to win a Grand Slam, and he isn't omitted due to the era in which accomplished it in, and neither should Wills-Moody

Wikipedia's pages for ATP and WTA records are correct. Keep in mind that "ATP" and "WTA" are not placeholders for "men's tennis" and "women's tennis". They are organizations which were founded at specific times, and their Wiki pages reflect records and achievements accomplished during their existence.

If you want women's tennis records in general (such pre-Open and Open Era; pre-WTA and WTA), then you have to look for them separately, within the broader categories of tennis stats.