Will Serena reach 22 slams? More?

Will Serena get 22 or more slams?

• Total voters

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
With her win today, Serena has reached 20 wins in singles slams. She will be 34 in September. How many more will she get?

CG1ci1uUQAANLaN.jpg

CG1Snm9UIAE0wMg.jpg

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I can see her getting 3-5 more depending on how hungry she is. I would say with the second half of the year usually being her strongest she stands a good shot of collecting at least 1 more. It depends on how much pressure she puts on herself. She needs to come into these tournaments healthier and not sick, so she can try and have higher energy and try and finish these matches in two sets. A bunch of three setters can add a lot of wear and tear to the body especially since Serena seems prone to knee and back injuries and the flu now so it seems.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I am also inclined to believe getting to 22 will be harder than 18. She put so much pressure on herself to get to 18 that 2014 happened. I hope she can keep calm and relaxed and at least get to 21 this year if not 22

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions
I'm really curious to know whether she will continue after the Olympics. I could see her retiring in an Olympic year as its a nice round number and a year with a lot of pomp. I imagine she won't stop till she reaches 23 and then she'll lose motivation. Perhaps maybe 24 if she cares to tie Court. Still 4 more is a big ask. I predict she'll win one more this year and 2 next year and end at 23.

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions
From the way in which parts of her Australian open and Roland Garros titles were won I can see that she's going to have some struggles from here on out. I can see it being like a lot of champions and the end comes quickly after some frustrating play.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
She's basically her own rival, she has nobody else there who's going into these things to win them. So she fought herself in Paris and almost lost, but eventually won. Safarova was immense in the final too, but Serena is control of everything she does now, because there's nobody to wrestle it off her. She may win the Calendar Year Grand Slam. It's actually very much doable now, with her two best slams coming up...

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Let's hope she does it! I hope she gets that serve cranking, and Azarenka gets that ranking up a bit before Wimbledon, so they don't have to meet until at least a QF should they meet. I would love to see a Calendar Slam happen.

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions
Kieran said:
She's basically her own rival, she has nobody else there who's going into these things to win them. So she fought herself in Paris and almost lost, but eventually won. Safarova was immense in the final too, but Serena is control of everything she does now, because there's nobody to wrestle it off her. She may win the Calendar Year Grand Slam. It's actually very much doable now, with her two best slams coming up...

But as 2014 taught us Serena can beat Serena.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
sk310 said:
Kieran said:

2014 she was nervous due to the pressure of reaching 18.

The next one (21) will be easy. But, after that I expect she will have to wait a while as there will be pressure again.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I also feel like as well as Serena has been at the U.S. Open that she is about due for a loss. We will see though how she holds up. I think it can happen if she gets 21 at Wimbledon. Though she has been steady in making the finals 4 years in a row. I have a sneaking suspicion that Azarenka will sneak in here if Serena is feeling pressure because she got to 21 at Wimbledon and going for #22 and a Calendar Slam. Having said that, I was very impressed with her fight in Paris.

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
sk310 said:
Kieran said:

The next one (21) will be easy. But, after that I expect she will have to wait a while as there will be pressure again.

I don't know... Some of those losses didn't seem like nerves. I think 2014 her body kind of started aging and it took her the first 7 months of the year to catch up and adjust. As federer has shown you don't necessarily need to just accept that you've aged and retire... Both he and Serena kind of had their bodies remind them that they are in their 30s and they both readjusted... Except Serena's readjustment came with 3 consecutive slams.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
sk310 said:
Kieran said:

2 months isn't a long while, though... :popcorn

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Serena will reach 22 definitely since she has streamlined her schedule and focusing on slams...its possible.
with the new ranking pova might fall into her section...hehe
her threats are little known players not the top ten....
is she can flatten her shots and not use a lot of spin she will be fine..she really needs to redeem herself after last year horrible spectacle..
Richard should join the camp because he knows how to win Wimbledon...

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
kskate2 said:
With her win today, Serena has reached 20 wins in singles slams. She will be 34 in September. How many more will she get?

CG1ci1uUQAANLaN.jpg

CG1Snm9UIAE0wMg.jpg
my favorites of her slams are 2007Australia,USA12,RG13,USA99,WIMBLEDON10..I never enjoyed the slams she won over Venus..

colleen66

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
I can't think about #22 yet, I need to focus on #21! I believe that it will be a hungry Serena that shows up at Wimbledon this year. If she is laser sharp like how she was at the Olympics of 2012 when she annihilated the field she will be unbeatable.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
tossip said:
Serena will reach 22 definitely since she has streamlined her schedule and focusing on slams...its possible.
with the new ranking pova might fall into her section...hehe
her threats are little known players not the top ten....
is she can flatten her shots and not use a lot of spin she will be fine..she really needs to redeem herself after last year horrible spectacle..
Richard should join the camp because he knows how to win Wimbledon...

I am not saying she won't reach. All I am saying is that reaching 21 is easier as it is not about keeping up with Joneses and therefore there will be less pressure. In fact, I think she will do so right at this Wimby and without drama.

However, once she reaches 21, I would not be surprised if she needs to wait for 3 or 4 slams before finally reaching 22.

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions
I kind of think we're underestimating how difficult the Australian and RG were for her to win this year. That could very well be a sign of the new normal for Serena at slams. I'm not saying its a sure thing but neither of those were traditionally easy paths for Serena.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Serena mentioned towards the end of last year that she was exhausted...these could be lingering effects of last year because after YEC she went to that Asian league and then straight to Hopman AO15 fedcup in Argentina added Indian Wells then Miami then Fedcup in Italy were she played almost all the matches ...after Wimbledon she needs a break to heal.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Well what she really needs to do is try her best to not get sick during a slam. This is her second slam in a row where she was sick. Playing in the Australian heat and during the French Open in hot conditions isn't very good for you when you are sick. Let's hope she can come into Wimbeldon without the flu or a cold.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
Well what she really needs to do is try her best to not get sick during a slam. This is her second slam in a row where she was sick. Playing in the Australian heat and during the French Open in hot conditions isn't very good for you when you are sick. Let's hope she can come into Wimbeldon without the flu or a cold.

Well she didn't come into Paris w/ the flu. She says she got it after the 3R. So maybe she needs to be more clinical about her routine, etc in order to prevent picking something up from the locker room.