Slams that got away

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Since this moved onto the different forum, we can broaden it to include the Dames simple.

Hingis v Graf in Paris in 1999.
Novotna v Graf at Wimbledon, 1993.
Navratilova v Sukova at Oz, 1984.

Okay, I know the last one was a semi-final, but has there ever been a more damaging upset in the history of the game? Sukova had won 9 games spread over her 3 matches against Martina before this one, and promptly lost the first set 6-1, but then won the next two 6-3, 7-5. The weight of history, we must presume, came bearing down on Navratilova. Had she won this semi-final, she'd have Chrissy in the final.

On grass.

And she'd beaten Chrissy the last thirteen times they met.

Navratilova was looking to complete the Calendar Year slam at that event.

She went on to beat Sukova the next 13 times they met.

1984 was a bad year for the two great lefties chasing history... :nono

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
McEnroe was also 3 points from the title at wimbledon 1982..4-3 up with a serve left in 4th set tiebreak.

rafa 4pts from AO 2012 Title..4-5 up in 5th set djoko serving..there might have been another time even further on also 4pts from title (not sure).

it gets overlooked with the 30-15 missed open court shot rafa did though..

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
JesuslookslikeBorg. said:
McEnroe was also 3 points from the title at wimbledon 1982..4-3 up with a serve left in 4th set tiebreak.

rafa 4pts from AO 2012 Title..4-5 up in 5th set djoko serving..there might have been another time even further on also 4pts from title (not sure).

Oh that's unfair! Then we can say, Roger was four points from victory TWICE in the Wimbledon final in 2008! Yeah, but he was returning serve, so it's hardly going down as a missed opportunity. I wouldn't even say, oh Roger had a break point at 4-3 up in the same match - what a one that got away!

The other guy was serving - these games are on his racket, not Rogers. And not Rafa's at 5-4 up in the Oz final against Novak...

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kieran said:

Oh that's unfair! Then we can say, Roger was four points from victory TWICE in the Wimbledon final in 2008! Yeah, but he was returning serve, so it's hardly going down as a missed opportunity. I wouldn't even say, oh Roger had a break point at 4-3 up in the same match - what a one that got away!

The other guy was serving - these games are on his racket, not Rogers. And not Rafa's at 5-4 up in the Oz final against Novak...

its not unfair..don't be so wet :huh: :puzzled..you can say what you want about Federer, whats it got to do with me ?

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
No, the point of the thread is great opportunities that went a-begging. Leading 5-4 but your opponent to serve is hardly the same. If the player then got to 5-4, and 0-40 up on that serve and ballooned a Novotna into Pippa's dimpled lap in the Royal Box, then we might say, ah! That's the one that got away!

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kieran said:
No, the point of the thread is great opportunities that went a-begging. Leading 5-4 but your opponent to serve is hardly the same. If the player then got to 5-4, and 0-40 up on that serve and ballooned a Novotna into Pippa's dimpled lap in the Royal Box, then we might say, ah! That's the one that got away!

i don't agree, its the one that got away anyway with rafa being 4-2 up, 30-15, and with an empty court to go 40-15, five points from the title,

folk forget it was not the closest he got to winning.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I disagree, because he had the match on his serve. So he was 6 points away from victory, and all of these points on his racket. In other words, he'd already broke serve - he wasn't receiving and hoping to break...

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kieran said:
I disagree, because he had the match on his serve. So he was 6 points away from victory, and all of these points on his racket. In other words, he'd already broke serve - he wasn't receiving and hoping to break...

you disagree. so what ?.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
So, I explained why I disagree, to show you where your thinking's wrong... ;)

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Kieran said:
Since this moved onto the different forum, we can broaden it to include the Dames simple.

Hingis v Graf in Paris in 1999.
Novotna v Graf at Wimbledon, 1993.
Navratilova v Sukova at Oz, 1984.

Okay, I know the last one was a semi-final, but has there ever been a more damaging upset in the history of the game? Sukova had won 9 games spread over her 3 matches against Martina before this one, and promptly lost the first set 6-1, but then won the next two 6-3, 7-5. The weight of history, we must presume, came bearing down on Navratilova. Had she won this semi-final, she'd have Chrissy in the final.

On grass.

And she'd beaten Chrissy the last thirteen times they met.

Navratilova was looking to complete the Calendar Year slam at that event.

She went on to beat Sukova the next 13 times they met.

1984 was a bad year for the two great lefties chasing history... :nono

That 6-1 set win by Martina was closer than one would think! She battled hard in very long games to finish that off! Supposedly Margaret Court even left thinking it was over, only to find out later Helena had come back to make the final against Evert-Lloyd!

tennisville

Major Winner
Reactions
Kieran mentions WTA so I would like to include one famous WTA match at Australian Open 2002 final where Hingis was in complete control against Capriati but found a way to lose that match :cry

I did not know Martina was so close to getting the calender slam in 84 :s That really must pain her. Novotna vs Graf is another great pick when the nerves got to Jana and she just bottled it in that match

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah, Martina won 6 majors in a row - and then... :nono

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
1972Murat said:
I cannot get over Edberg losing the FO final to Chang. Unacceptable. Unfair. There was a career slam right there...

They didn't have the career slam concept back then - that's a much later construct! :p

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Kieran said:
1972Murat said:
I cannot get over Edberg losing the FO final to Chang. Unacceptable. Unfair. There was a career slam right there...

They didn't have the career slam concept back then - that's a much later construct! :p

Screw that , he would have been the only guy of his generation with it...up until Agassi;)

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
federer has been 2 points away from 2 majors hasn't he ??.

wimbledon 2008, and also uso2009 (4th set tb)...also I think pat rafter was 2pts away from wimbledon 2001 5th set (could be wrong).

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Federer has been 2 points away from 2 majors hasn't he ??.

Wimbledon 2008, and also USO2009 (4th set TB)...also I think Pat Rafter was 2 pts away from Wimbledon 2001 5th set (could be wrong).

It happens! The match that devastated me the most, even though I wasn't on the court has to be '76 USO men's final at Forest Hills! The reason this tournament is a joke is due to this schitzophrenic period; grass to clay, best of 3 in early rounds, etc.! Borg was lucky to even make the final being down a break in the 3rd to Jaime Fillol of Chile in the 2nd round! Then he went 5 sets against Gottfried and Orantes just to make semi against old man Ilie Nastase! I thought this was probably Borg's best chance to win this title up a couple set points in TB of the 3rd, (6-4 losing it 9-11)! He was done; down 2 sets to 1 and allowed Connors to steamroll him to take title in 4! It wasn't exactly match point in the 3rd, but there was history that would give Borg the edge if he had taken that TB! Not sure he was ever closer even going 5 with McEnroe in '80! He was behind 0-2 before staging his comeback! Only Lendl more disappointed by not getting one of those Wimbledons he was so close to winning back in the 80's!

tennisville

Major Winner
Reactions
When was lendl close to winning wimbledon. He never stood a chance in either of his finals ?

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
tennisville said:
When was lendl close to winning wimbledon. He never stood a chance in either of his finals ?

How many have made the finals; or even a semi for that matter? Only a handful of players have owned this title! There's only been a very select few outside of the odd upset like Krajicek, Agassi, & Hewitt who own that crown! Lendl aquitted himself very well for someone without natural instincts of grasscourt play who worked the hardest to make 4 semi's and 2 finals! He pretty much only lost to champion or past winners! I feel for him because he did everything he possibly could outside of a mind-meld with Tony Roche trying to win just one Wimbledon! Many never got as close as Lendl with slick, choppy grass, and the best serve and volleyers of that era; McEnroe, Edberg, Becker, Stich, Rafter, Mayotte, Curren, & Cash!