Serena Williams announces she will 'evolve away from tennis' after upcoming US Open

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Serena will learn very soon if she can still play with the big boys (ladies) at the top of the tour.
Well Serena is retiring at the Open,just saw a post on her IG.She is saying it's time and in a few weeks she will pack it up.

Reactions: Tenfan63

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I really wished she would have listened to Billy Jean a few years ago, the past few years may have been better..we will never know. Serena will be missed.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Well Serena is retiring at the Open,just saw a post on her IG.She is saying it's time and in a few weeks she will pack it up.
Hey Tossip, that rumor has been circulating for sometime and I am not surprised, I thought she would retire at the USO this year, though no word if Venus will also follow suit

Reactions: tossip

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Hey Tossip, that rumor has been circulating for sometime and I am not surprised, I thought she would retire at the USO this year, though no word if Venus will also follow suit
Serena can still play if she wants to,Vee has to go she has overstayed.Its really an end of an era,we cried laughed and enjoyed tennis a lot,I guess it's time for new horizons.Serena leads a busy life and seems to have a life after tennis.Vee is getting married to Opelika..lol

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Serena can still play if she wants to,Vee has to go she has overstayed.Its really an end of an era,we cried laughed and enjoyed tennis a lot,I guess it's time for new horizons.Serena leads a busy life and seems to have a life after tennis.Vee is getting married to Opelika..lol
I think we have all been privileged to witness Serena Williams, and I hope Serena and Venus play doubles together at the USO.
Serena I feel wants to add to her family and give her daughter Olympia a baby sister or brother.
Somehow I cannot see Miss Vee and Opelika as a married couple LOL!

tented

Administrator
Reactions
She’s making headlines all over:
AA2B88E5-8C38-4B52-B2A4-281463B11091.png

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I think we have all been privileged to witness the 'Amazing Career' of Serena Williams, I wish her happiness and fulfilment in the next chapter of her life.
Thank you Serena it has been a pleasure watching you play tennis over the years!

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I think if it was just her, she would hang around and play another year. But since she values Vee and takes her feelings into acct, she's going to do it this year. Vee was actually ready to go a few years ago, but we had Covid and Serena trying to tie Court's record. She stayed on tour for Serena, but tying the record is virtually impossible now so they should both bow out gracefully on their own terms before an injury takes that away from them.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I think we have all been privileged to witness Serena Williams, and I hope Serena and Venus play doubles together at the USO.
Serena I feel wants to add to her family and give her daughter Olympia a baby sister or brother.
Somehow I cannot see Miss Vee and Opelika as a married couple LOL!
Vee defines the word cougar to the nth degree. ;-)::p:yes:

Hey, I'm not mad at her though. Gone gurl...

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I'm actually surprised she announced it. I kind of thought she would play her last match and then make an announcement so as not to generate any fanfare or some long drawn out farewell tour. By doing it this way, she really only has 3 tournaments where they will have some kind of acknowledgement or ceremony for her.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm actually surprised she announced it. I kind of thought she would play her last match and then make an announcement so as not to generate any fanfare or some long drawn out farewell tour. By doing it this way, she really only has 3 tournaments where they will have some kind of acknowledgement or ceremony for her.
I'm glad she's giving fans some chance to say goodbye. And I'm proud she'll play the Open as her last tournament. I guess I'd better stop dragging my feet about getting tickets. ;) Kidding aside, while it's been coming, I guess, it's hard not to be crushed. What an amazing champion she has been. What a trailblazer for others, both she and Venus. All love and respect.

Reactions: tossip and kskate2

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I'm glad she's giving fans some chance to say goodbye. And I'm proud she'll play the Open as her last tournament. I guess I'd better stop dragging my feet about getting tickets. ;) Kidding aside, while it's been coming, I guess, it's hard not to be crushed. What an amazing champion she has been. What a trailblazer for others, both she and Venus. All love and respect.
I'm so glad I went to the open in 2018. I knew then the end was near and wanted to see them live at least once.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Question? Which post AO 2017 championship GS finals loss by Serena do you feel hurts the most?

Loss2018WimbledonGrassGermany Angelique Kerber3–6, 3–6Loss
2018US OpenHardJapan Naomi Osaka2–6, 4–6Loss
2019WimbledonGrassRomania Simona Halep2–6, 2–6Loss
2019US OpenHardCanada Bianca Andreescu3–6, 5–7

I think it was loosing to Kerber on grass at SW19. Serena didnt have a B plan for either of these finals but she had no business loosing to Kerber although Angelique out played her totally. Any thoughts

Reactions: tented

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Question? Which post AO 2017 championship GS finals loss by Serena do you feel hurts the most?

Loss2018WimbledonGrassGermany Angelique Kerber3–6, 3–6Loss
2018US OpenHardJapan Naomi Osaka2–6, 4–6Loss
2019WimbledonGrassRomania Simona Halep2–6, 2–6Loss
2019US OpenHardCanada Bianca Andreescu3–6, 5–7

I think it was loosing to Kerber on grass at SW19. Serena didnt have a B plan for either of these finals but she had no business loosing to Kerber although Angelique out played her totally. Any thoughts
The 2018 loss to Kerber had to have been a psychological hit, too, losing the first major final after coming back. It was also her first chance to tie Court‘s record, which made each subsequent final more important, adding to her nerves.

Reactions: the AntiPusher