2020 USO SF: Serena Williams vs. Victoria Azarenka

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
It’s hard to say. Vika hasn’t really played a big server, but Serena her ground game is meh. Not sure how much Serena will have left. Leaning toward Vika in three.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Is it correct that Vika never won against Serena on a slam? That part is certainly not in favour of Vika win, but she looks ready and I think she has a real chance to do it this time.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Is it correct that Vika never won against Serena on a slam? That part is certainly not in favour of Vika win, but she looks ready and I think she has a real chance to do it this time.

Serena is 10-0 at Grand Slams against Azarenka,they met at USO finals 2012 and 2013 won by Serena in 3 sets.
Their overall H2H is 18-4

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Yeah, but Serena’s ground game is not near where it was then, so this can go either way. Serena may wake up and be this is Azarenka and I own her, or she could be the lifeless player she has been when she has reached this stage of a slam the past couple years and lose.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Yeah, but Serena’s ground game is not near where it was then, so this can go either way. Serena may wake up and be this is Azarenka and I own her, or she could be the lifeless player she has been when she has reached this stage of a slam the past couple years and lose.

It probably makes no sense to you that Serena should have that dominant a record against Vika, but to me it has to be something psychological! It's right there on par with Sharapova where people thought they had this great rivalry, but without that one victory at Wimbledon, Sharapova would be just as anonymous as Azarenka in comparison to Williams! There are some players that Serena's told herself "nyah, not gonna happen b!tch!" Venus used to have it! :facepalm:

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
It probably makes no sense to you that Serena should have that dominant a record against Vika, but to me it has to be something psychological! It's right there on par with Sharapova where people thought they had this great rivalry, but without that one victory at Wimbledon, Sharapova would be just as anonymous as Azarenka in comparison to Williams! There are some players that Serena's told herself "nyah, not gonna happen b!tch!" Venus used to have it! :facepalm:
It isn’t lost on me that Serena has those head to heads; however, Serena looks the least impressive form wise of the semi-finalists. I’m well aware Serena could just as easily look across the net and say I’m going to keep this authority over you and will herself into a win, but I’m also well aware that Serena isn’t the same player she was when she dominated Vika.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Sharapova didn’t beat Serena in FIFTEEN years, there was no rivalry.

Reactions: tented

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It isn’t lost on me that Serena has those head to heads; however, Serena looks the least impressive form wise of the semi-finalists. I’m well aware Serena could just as easily look across the net and say I’m going to keep this authority over you and will herself into a win, but I’m also well aware that Serena isn’t the same player she was when she dominated Vika.

True, then again it’s also not the same Vika.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Sharapova didn’t beat Serena in FIFTEEN years, there was no rivalry.

It was still advertised as the battle of the century each time they met even though Maria only took a couple of their matches! True enough there was no real rivalry, but the same thing was being done with Fedal even though Nadal owned Roger for years! The media and the fans see what they want to see I guess! :facepalm:

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I could make arguments for this going either way, but I’m hoping Serena rises to the occasion and gets it done. Probably in 3.

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I like Vika a lot and am so glad to see her back and playing so well and joyfully, but I do want Serena to get #24.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Serena had a hit out for her final preparation on Ashe with the roof closed? apparently thunderstorms are predicated to move through? if that is the case the roof will be closed for all the women's matches I guess.

• Wow

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Serena had a hit out for her final preparation on Ashe with the roof closed? apparently thunderstorms are predicated to move through? if that is the case the roof will be closed for all the women's matches I guess.
That's a big plus for Serena. She has a tremendous indoor record.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I like Vika a lot and am so glad to see her back and playing so well and joyfully, but I do want Serena to get #24.
And I almost feel like this is her best chance as everyone will be back for RG later this month and when Aus rolls around she will be 39.

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Just in a report from the front on weather: It rained hard this morning, and we had prediction of rain and thunderstorms this afternoon, but nothing came of it, and it has lightened up a bit. Rain and thunderstorms still in the forecast, but the forecast has been mostly wrong today. Remember that Flushing Meadows is on an island along the Atlantic, so things can change fast. Maybe we'll get rain, maybe we won't. But, while it's not hot, it's heavy and humid.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
And I almost feel like this is her best chance as everyone will be back for RG later this month and when Aus rolls around she will be 39.
That's my worry for her. The pressure only increases, and she's lost 4 Major finals in a row.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
All I can say is I feel a 50-50 mix of excited and so nervous that I feel a bit ill. So much going on with this match.