Serena Williams announces she will 'evolve away from tennis' after upcoming US Open

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
The 2018 loss to Kerber had to have been a psychological hit, too, losing the first major final after coming back. It was also her first chance to tie Court‘s record, which made each subsequent final more important, adding to her nerves.
Keep me honest Tented but I think shortly afterwards during the fall of 2018 is when Billie Jean made her comments about Serena becoming a FT tour player.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Keep me honest Tented but I think shortly afterwards during the fall of 2018 is when Billie Jean made her comments about Serena becoming a FT tour player.
Honestly, I don’t remember, but I‘m sure someone else will help us.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Question? Which post AO 2017 championship GS finals loss by Serena do you feel hurts the most?

Loss2018WimbledonGrassGermany Angelique Kerber3–6, 3–6Loss
2018US OpenHardJapan Naomi Osaka2–6, 4–6Loss
2019WimbledonGrassRomania Simona Halep2–6, 2–6Loss
2019US OpenHardCanada Bianca Andreescu3–6, 5–7

I think it was loosing to Kerber on grass at SW19. Serena didnt have a B plan for either of these finals but she had no business loosing to Kerber although Angelique out played her totally. Any thoughts
The Osaka loss bothered me plus the drama that happened during and after the match.

Reactions: Moxie

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
The Osaka loss bothered me plus the drama that happened during and after the match.
Tossip, looking back, I dont Serena ever felt like she ever had control of that match. Serena had zero answers for Naomi IMO.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm so glad I went to the open in 2018. I knew then the end was near and wanted to see them live at least once.
I have been lucky to see both at the Open over the years. Never in doubles, unfortunately, but maybe this year?? I have said this before, but I was there for that controversial match v. Capriati in 2004, which eventually brought us Hawkeye, and Serena wore this likewise memorable outfit:

Screen Shot 2022-08-10 at 5.10.05 PM.png

Last edited:

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Tossip, looking back, I dont Serena ever felt like she ever had control of that match. Serena had zero answers for Naomi IMO.
I think she was still dealing with postpartum depression.Baby blues are very real..I am older than Serena and always find her as a source of inspiration.I remember 2020 when I had an injury and was rehabbing in hosp,I would always channel Serena,her never die attitude really helped me to recover.
Farewell queen see you soon

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Question? Which post AO 2017 championship GS finals loss by Serena do you feel hurts the most?

I think it was loosing to Kerber on grass at SW19. Serena didnt have a B plan for either of these finals but she had no business loosing to Kerber although Angelique out played her totally. Any thoughts
I would say the 2019 Wimby loss to Halepino. She was playing pretty well that fortnight. She had already played in 2 slam finals and she was expected to send Simona packing. But it's like she froze in the final. I will give her a pass in 2018. She had just returned from maternity leave after being off the tour for over a year. She really did well to even get to finals in 2018 after having a kid. I felt 2019 she was more prepared, match tough and seasoned. It just didn't come together in the finals.

We've talked about this before, but to me motherhood really softened her up. She's always been a fierce competitor, but in the finals she used to be $$. She had such a forceful killer instinct pre-Olympia.

Reactions: Jelenafan and Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I would say the 2019 Wimby loss to Halepino. She was playing pretty well that fortnight. She had already played in 2 slam finals and she was expected to send Simona packing. But it's like she froze in the final. I will give her a pass in 2018. She had just returned from maternity leave after being off the tour for over a year. She really did well to even get to finals in 2018 after having a kid. I felt 2019 she was more prepared, match tough and seasoned. It just didn't come together in the finals.

We've talked about this before, but to me motherhood really softened her up. She's always been a fierce competitor, but in the finals she used to be $$. She had such a forceful killer instinct pre-Olympia.
I think your points are fair. I think it's also fair to say that, after she had Olympia, (and nearly died in doing that,) her priorities shifted. I don't want to be gooey about this, but it does make sense, given her age and level of accomplishment when she became a mother. It's hard to keep coming up with the enthusiasm for the training and for the killer instinct, after a certain age. And I really do think that life gave her a significant priorities check after Olympia was born. And now Olympia's ambition is to be a "big sister." Serena needs to apply herself to that. She's done all she can for tennis, which is a huge lot. Now, she will do what she can for Olympia, her family, and (no small point) entrepreneurship for women of color in this world. I hope she gets another baby, because I have no doubt about the rest of it.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

As I'm writing on the ATP forum about the youngsters not stepping up to the plate, I'm thinking about your question. I think that if Serena had been her full self, she would have won at least 2 of the matches. (The ones over Kerber and Halep would be my best guesses.) At some point, it's not completely about these greats getting over-matched, but really about them not being able to do it anymore. Tell me who has out-Serena's Serena? Osaka? Once?

Reactions: the AntiPusher

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
One of my all time Serena Williams victories was at the AO in 2007, I was there live to witness probably one of the tournaments that I will never forget.
Serena came into the tournament ranked #81, having played only 4 tournaments in the past 12 months.Serena played a low tier Hobart International crashing out in the QFs.
Serena was rusty and out of shape, which she did acknowledge.When Serena reached the 2nd week of the AO, I knew she looked increasingly formidable. Serena made her first final in two years ( hampered by knee injury).
Serena crushed Sharapova 61 62 to win her eighth GS singles trophy.I think the moral of Serena's win was "never underestimate the mental strength and sheer will and force of Serena Williams, do that at your own peril".

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
One of my all time Serena Williams victories was at the AO in 2007, I was there live to witness probably one of the tournaments that I will never forget.
Serena came into the tournament ranked #81, having played only 4 tournaments in the past 12 months.Serena played a low tier Hobart International crashing out in the QFs.
Serena was rusty and out of shape, which she did acknowledge.When Serena reached the 2nd week of the AO, I knew she looked increasingly formidable. Serena made her first final in two years ( hampered by knee injury).
Serena crushed Sharapova 61 62 to win her eighth GS singles trophy.I think the moral of Serena's win was "never underestimate the mental strength and sheer will and force of Serena Williams, do that at your own peril".
It was quite a few times she was down and out at AO. One match Serena vs Davenport who destroyed her the first set and I think Serena was wearing some extra skirt over her tennis shorts and ripped it off during the change over. Serena rolled Lindsay during the final two sets . ( I may be incorrect if that was the match she shed the extra clothing)

Reactions: tossip

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
The AO championship you mentioned, I think during the early rounds one match she was down a set and 2-5 in the 2nd set but turned the match around. I think it was vs Petrova..idk

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The AO championship you mentioned, I think during the early rounds one match she was down a set and 2-5 in the 2nd set but turned the match around. I think it was vs Petrova..idk
From memory Serena lost a set to Petrova in the early rounds, remember the talented Nicole Vaidisova? Serena met her in the s/final and won in 3 sets.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
The match she played against Dementieva at Wimbledon was memorable.Elena was serving very well and nearly won that match.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
From memory Serena lost a set to Petrova in the early rounds, remember the talented Nicole Vaidisova? Serena met her in the s/final and won in 3 sets.
There's a match Serena was down as I mentioned before a set and 1-5 or 2-5 at AO and just roared back..maybe @kskate2 recalls that match.. heck, I'm getting old and may need to retire.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
There's a match Serena was down as I mentioned before a set and 1-5 or 2-5 at AO and just roared back..maybe @kskate2 recalls that match.. heck, I'm getting old and may need to retire.
There are several classic comebacks in Aus that I recall. Some of my faves:
- 2003 SF against Kimmie. She was down 5-1 2 breaks in the decider. She had to break, hold, break, hold. That got it back to 5-5. She went on to win that match and Kim never won another game. She was devastated at that loss.
- 2005 SF. We all know how this one turned out. Carillo and company could not stop swooning over Pova. Serena silenced them w/ her worst shot (the FH).
- 2007 R3. She lost a set to Petrova, but rallied and won the match in 3
- 2007 QF. She was down a set to Shahar Peer, won that in 3
- 2007 SF. Again down a set to Vaidisova, won in 3
- 2009 R16 or QF against Kuzy. Serena was getting stomped. They closed the roof because of severe heat after the first set and Serena never looked back. Poor Kuzy...
- 2010 QF. Vika had her on the ropes down 6-4 4-0. Serena stormed back and took the match in 3.
- In 2015, she played several 3 setters in a row, but I don't think she was in any real danger in those deciders from Mugu, Keys, etc.

As to the one where she shed clothes, it wasn't a classic comeback because Lindsay kind of went away, but in the 05 final, she was down a set and 3-0 when she took an MTO for what she called a rib dysfunction. She took off her bib thing and just wore those hot pants. Poor Lindsay didn't win another game. Got skunked and bageled in the decider.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
^^Now that I think about the post above. Three of the comeback wins I mentioned, the players in question did exact revenge on her later.
1. Kimmie won the controversial match at the 09 USO SF w/ the threats to the linesperson. Kim would go on to win the tournament against Woz.
2. Kuzy actually paid Serena back later that year at the RG QF. Kuzy was down a break in the decider 3-1 and rallied to get it back on serve. She eventually broke for the win. She would go on to claim the RG title against Safina.
3. Vika finally got revenge on Serena for all of those previous losses in slams when she defeated her at the 20 USO SF. Vika was close to finally winning that tournament, but Naomi-me-me was still formidable back then.