Serena Williams announces she will 'evolve away from tennis' after upcoming US Open

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
There are several classic comebacks in Aus that I recall. Some of my faves:
- 2003 SF against Kimmie. She was down 5-1 2 breaks in the decider. She had to break, hold, break, hold. That got it back to 5-5. She went on to win that match and Kim never won another game. She was devastated at that loss.
- 2005 SF. We all know how this one turned out. Carillo and company could not stop swooning over Pova. Serena silenced them w/ her worst shot (the FH).
- 2007 R3. She lost a set to Petrova, but rallied and won the match in 3
- 2007 QF. She was down a set to Shahar Peer, won that in 3
- 2007 SF. Again down a set to Vaidisova, won in 3
- 2009 R16 or QF against Kuzy. Serena was getting stomped. They closed the roof because of severe heat after the first set and Serena never looked back. Poor Kuzy...
- 2010 QF. Vika had her on the ropes down 6-4 4-0. Serena stormed back and took the match in 3.
- In 2015, she played several 3 setters in a row, but I don't think she was in any real danger in those deciders from Mugu, Keys, etc.

As to the one where she shed clothes, it wasn't a classic comeback because Lindsay kind of went away, but in the 05 final, she was down a set and 3-0 when she took an MTO for what she called a rib dysfunction. She took off her bib thing and just wore those hot pants. Poor Lindsay didn't win another game. Got skunked and bageled in the decider.
See Y I just love Kelli.. you are the "keeper" of all the greatest of tennis history..I remember all those comebacks especially those 2007 comebacks. . The Vika comeback was the greatest because I was saying " come on" Serena play like you want it and she did. I would encourage everyone to replay that match. I think that when she came back after her 2nd sabbatical and keep me honest, was that when Christy E wrote the SUI article and challenge Serena to make a commitment to the game and next came the "partnership" with Patrick M?

tented

Administrator
Reactions
The match she played against Dementieva at Wimbledon was memorable.Elena was serving very well and nearly won that match.
The 09 Wimbledon SF? Dementieva had MP, if I remember correctly. That was a thriller.

Reactions: tossip

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
The 09 Wimbledon SF? Dementieva had MP, if I remember correctly. That was a thriller.
Yep. She did. She served first in the decider. She had one MP at 5-4 30-40. Serena actually came to net and put away a volley to save it. Elena wouldn't get another look.

Reactions: tented

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
See Y I just love Kelli.. you are the "keeper" of all the greatest of tennis history..I remember all those comebacks especially those 2007 comebacks. . The Vika comeback was the greatest because I was saying " come on" Serena play like you want it and she did. I would encourage everyone to replay that match. I think that when she came back after her 2nd sabbatical and keep me honest, was that when Christy E wrote the SUI article and challenge Serena to make a commitment to the game and next came the "partnership" with Patrick M?
Actually it was the spring of 2006 that Chrissie wrote that "open letter" in Tennis Magazine. She was questioning Serena's on court commitment because frankly after winning the 05 AO she went way down. Remember that 05 Wimby? She showed up out of shape and lost to some no name person out on the graveyard court. Then she spent the next 18 months w/ a bunch of subpar results and time away from the court.

Sometime after she teamed up w/ Patrick, Chrissie sat down and interviewed Serena for ESPN. I believe it was after she tied the record at 18.

Reactions: the AntiPusher

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I just found this, so I haven’t watched it yet, but I imagine it‘s worth watching.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
@MargaretMcAleer It's really a shame. Patrick should be with her as this is her final tourney. He acted like such an arse that you can understand why Serena didn't tell him she was stepping away. His mouth is so big, he would've blabbed it long before the Vogue article was released.

Reactions: tossip

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
@MargaretMcAleer It's really a shame. Patrick should be with her as this is her final tourney. He acted like such an arse that you can understand why Serena didn't tell him she was stepping away. His mouth is so big, he would've blabbed it long before the Vogue article was released.
Agree, though I can understand why Serena dropped him, I dont like his Big Mouth for starters, saying like I know she is a champion, though I am glad I can help her to win more GS titles? really Patrick?

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Agree, though I can understand why Serena dropped him, I dont like his Big Mouth for starters, saying like I know she is a champion, though I am glad I can help her to win more GS titles? really Patrick?
It seems as if he already had too big of an ego before teaming up with Serena, but it got absolutely elephantine afterwards. He probably has a secret collection of phony trophies with his name on them.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Oh, man, this is hard....

• Sad
Reactions: tented

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
End of a era at the USO....you have earned it Serena...be happy in your retirement!