Rolex Paris Masters 2023, Bercy, France - ATP Masters 1000

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
He had so much talent. I’m happy to see him playing well.
Talented yes, but he never reached his true potential, after all these years, his head usually got in the way and I feel he dosent do well under pressure

Reactions: nehmeth

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
He had so much talent. I’m happy to see him playing well.
It's not for nothing that Grigor probably heads that "lost-gen." of players who were good enough to have their own years of dominance but for "The Big 3!" I feel so badly for Dmitrov, Cilic, Kei, Raonic, Berdych, Ferrer, Tsonga, Del Po, & a slew of other Spanish players! Murray got the most out of what he did best and stole 2016 YE #1 in the YEC final over Novak! It cost him though as we well know! He's never been the same! He may be playing as well as possible, but the game's passed him by w/ the guys pounding the ball! They're running him around like a chicken w/ his head caught off! I find it amusing b/c in his mind, he "s/b winning right up there w/ his childhood rival, Djokovic!" Wawrinka woefully underachieved being a headcase going up against Roger esp.! He at least acquired 3 Majors to match Murray's! :fearful-face: :yawningface: :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :face-with-tears-of-joy:

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Which makes him skinny, but not "diminutive."
The skinny DeMinaur vs. the diminutive DeMinaur. I like the latter. And just because Alex lists himself at 6’, remember Hewitt listed himself at 5’10”.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The skinny DeMinaur vs. the diminutive DeMinaur. I like the latter. And just because Alex lists himself at 6’, remember Hewitt listed himself at 5’10”.
You can "like" it, but I wouldn't call it accurate.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It's not for nothing that Grigor probably heads that "lost-gen." of players who were good enough to have their own years of dominance but for "The Big 3!" I feel so badly for Dmitrov, Cilic, Kei, Raonic, Berdych, Ferrer, Tsonga, Del Po, & a slew of other Spanish players!
Not clear why you feel so bad for them, as a group, or when that happened? Did you used to complain that they couldn't beat the Big 3? Maybe feel for the ones who've had lots of injuries, but why feel bad for Dimitrov, or Berdych, for example? Or Cilic, who won a Major.
Murray got the most out of what he did best and stole 2016 YE #1 in the YEC final over Novak! It cost him though as we well know!
You sing this song all the time, and it's out-of-tune every time. He didn't "steal" the YE#1 from Novak. He actually battled him for it directly in the final, and won it. How is that stealing it? Also, you love to insist that that one late season cost Murray his hips. I don't think you can know that. His hip issues were due, by all accounts, to long-term wear-and-tear. He himself said he'd had hip pain for years. If you feel sorry for Del Potro and Nishikori, I'm not clear why you shouldn't feel sorry for Murray. At least he's a guy who fulfilled a lot of potential before injuries took the best out of him, as opposed to those who basically never had injuries issues and still never made the best of their talents, like Dimitrov.

Reactions: britbox

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Seeing Grigor’s play lately, what do you think his chances are for the upset?? Or does Novak notch #40?
Novak has too much mental strength for starters, I cannot see him being defeated, he will did deep if needed, he knows how to win, even if he is not playing his best tennis

Reactions: Moxie and nehmeth

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Every single win by Novak extends a rec. he owns! It's not just a 40th Masters, his winning % goes up, Q's, SF's, Finals, & a 97th title (109 Connors)!
Jimmy Connors’ tennis career spanned 24 years. Novak has 4 years to catch him.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Fiero425

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
There’s no chance of Grigor winning that match today. Gregor’s not that man. He’s gotten a pat on the head for his work so far in Paris, that’s the extent of his ambition..

Reactions: nehmeth

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
MM. @MargaretMcAleer whenever you're serving, you want to be able to look up and maintain eye to eye contact with the ball. However your point is understood when Holger isn't serving or just in rallies. @don_fabio (Don may agree with you ).. just my two cents worth because I played with my cap backwards.
I never play with a cap forwards or with the cap at all. I always felt it's hard to keep an eye on the ball during serve, smash or moon balls.

But many play with the cap and have no trouble at all, so I guess it's just about how you get used to it. Playing with the cap backwards has no real influence on how you see the ball.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
There’s no chance of Grigor winning that match today. Gregor’s not that man. He’s gotten a pat on the head for his work so far in Paris, that’s the extent of his ambition..
Novak is winning ugly almost every match this week. I wonder how much this stomach virus affected him and how much is the rust. I can't watch matches now so I don't know, just following the scores.

It seems highly unlikely to me that Grigor can win today.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I never play with a cap forwards or with the cap at all. I always felt it's hard to keep an eye on the ball during serve, smash or moon balls.

But many play with the cap and have no trouble at all, so I guess it's just about how you get used to it. Playing with the cap backwards has no real influence on how you see the ball.
Agreed it's how you get use to it as far as tracking it (the ball) . I have zero issues tracking with the backwards hat plus it absorbs the extra sweat from my forehead to prevent getting into my eyes and face area. I hope this makes sense MM @MargaretMcAleer . Thanks

Reactions: don_fabio

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Novak is winning ugly almost every match this week. I wonder how much this stomach virus affected him and how much is the rust. I can't watch matches now so I don't know, just following the scores.

It seems highly unlikely to me that Grigor can win today.
The dude with the weird name had the weapons to knock off Novak but the current GOAT of the slams was able to problem solve.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Dimitrov has been serving well all tournament. Today he seems determined to continue that trend.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
You couldn't call it thrilling tennis. Djokovic just waiting for the UFE's from Dimitrov, and Grigor happy to oblige his ol' buddy.