Roland Garros 2017, Paris, France - WTA Grand Slam

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
aehm - where have I seen that woman before ?

DBVrDbxWAAAeSur.jpg

The bakery ? :D

Reactions: Hoergren

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Order of Play - Showcourts on Sunday

PHILIPPE-CHATRIER COURT

11:00

• Caroline Wozniacki (DEN) [11] v.Svetlana Kuznetsova (RUS) [8] - Round 4 (last 16)
  • Gael Monfils (FRA) [15] v.Richard Gasquet (FRA) [24] To Finish 6-5 Round 3
  • Venus Williams (USA) [10] v.Timea Bacsinszky (SUI) [30] Round 4
  • Albert Ramos-Vinolas (ESP) [19] v.Novak Djokovic (SRB) [2] Round 4
SUZANNE-LENGLEN COURT

• Elina Svitolina (UKR) [5] v Magda Linette (POL) (Round 3)
  • Roberto Bautista Agut (ESP) [17] v Rafael Nadal (ESP) [4] (Round 4)
  • Garbiñe Muguruza (ESP) [4] v Kristina Mladenovic (FRA) [13] (Round 4)
  • Dominic Thiem (AUT) [6] v Horacio Zeballos (ARG) (Round 4)
COURT 1

• Hyeon Chung (KOR) v Kei Nishikori (JPN) [8] To Finish 5-7 4-6 7-6(4) 3-0
  • Milos Raonic (CAN) [5] v Pablo Carreno Busta (ESP) [20]
COURT 2

• Karen Khachanov (RUS) v John Isner (USA) [21] To Finish 7-6(1)
  • Jelena Ostapenko (LAT) v Samantha Stosur (AUS) [23]
COURT 3

• Carina Witthoeft (GER) v Karolina Pliskova (CZE) [2]

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Wozniacki was in trouble in the third, but overcame it. @Hoergren will be happy. I'm amazed at the form on Halep. I guess the ankle isn't an issue?

Reactions: Hoergren

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Match of the day tomorrow has to be Muguruza v. Mladenovic. Either one has a solid shot at the title.

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Match of the day tomorrow has to be Muguruza v. Mladenovic. Either one has a solid shot at the title.
You sure you mean that. I think the most exciting match is Wozniacki against Kuznetsova in their first meeting on clay - actually a little strange as it's their 14th meeting - Woz leading 7-6. To me it's the blockbuster of the day.

And CLAYNIAKI did it 61 46 62 over Kuznetsova bravo.

Last edited:
Reactions: kskate2

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
I was hoping Venus could continue her run, but pessimistic about her getting past Bacszinsky. That's a bad match up. With the loss of Venus, Stosur, Kuz, and Mugu, there will be a FO winner who has never won a major before.

golds girl

Major Winner
Reactions
I was hoping Venus could continue her run, but pessimistic about her getting past Bacszinsky. That's a bad match up. With the loss of Venus, Stosur, Kuz, and Mugu, there will be a FO winner who has never won a major before.

Yeah, it's exciting to have a brand new winner. Anyone have the history on the last time a French woman won the French Open. Nice story if Mladenovic perseveres. :)

I also like how Caro is stepping into her shots with aggression, so I wouldn't mind if she takes it all the way as well.:)

golds girl

Major Winner
Reactions
yes I am happy that Mledanovic took out the trash...when she was leaving the lady boy said something to the crowd....she is just as classless as her meldonium idol.

I was looking back at who Mugu played last year and the only French woman she played was M. Georges, in the 2nd round, a player ranked 204. The crowd was thin and didn't even know that player so was neutral in that match.

I think Mugu was used to support from the French crowd as she certainly had it in all of her matches last year.
She might have been shocked at the level of intensity from the French crowd this time....but her handlers should have prepped her. :scratch:

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I was looking back at who Mugu played last year and the only French woman she played was M. Georges, in the 2nd round, a player ranked 204. The crowd was thin and didn't even know that player so was neutral in that match.

I think Mugu was used to support from the French crowd as she certainly had it in all of her matches last year.
She might have been shocked at the level of intensity from the French crowd this time....but her handlers should have prepped her. :scratch:
Tossip had some good post previous about Mugu

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
So happy Smug Mug lost today. Today was collection day for the Garbage. Hoping Pliskova wins the title.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Not sure what some of you have against Muguruza, but I did pick Mladenovic in my draw. I like her fight, and she's surely been tested this tournament. There was a lot of concern about Halep's ankle going in, but she's playing some fine tennis. And I'm liking Caro's new aggression as well, @golds girl.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Results from the French Open Women's Singles Round 16 matches on Sunday

upload_2017-6-4_20-26-50.png

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Yeah, it's exciting to have a brand new winner. Anyone have the history on the last time a French woman won the French Open. Nice story if Mladenovic perseveres. :)

I also like how Caro is stepping into her shots with aggression, so I wouldn't mind if she takes it all the way as well.:)
Last French woman to win RG would have to be Mary Pierce. No French woman has even gotten to final since Pierce won it in 2000. The closest any French player has gotten was SF. I believe Bartoli reached the semi's in 2010 or 2011.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The French support their players, and stress them, too. Sort of like the brits. I guess it's to be expected. Mauresmo won AO and Wimby, but had her worst Slam showings at RG. Mladenovic seems to be feeding off of the crowd, though. She might break through.

Reactions: golds girl

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Cibby is another one like Kerbie that has struggled after winning a big title and achieving top 5 rank. She's done nothing since winning the WTA finals and I think it's all in her head.

Mugu cannot be seriously considered a threat at RG. She made it to the QF of AO only to get bounced by streaking Coco Puffs. Other than result, she's done nothing either. She will bomb out of Rome in the next round or two, limp into RG w/ no confidence where she will struggle in early rounds going 3 sets. She will meet her match before the R16, lose her title and her top 10 ranking.

Kerbie will continue to be #1 by default probably through Wimby.

If I had to pick 4 SF for RG right now, I'd go w/ Simona, Sveta, Mlad and a surprise SF like (Siegmund, Osta, Kasa or Seva).

What can I say? When I'm right, I'm right! Heehee...

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Good calls, all. TBH, though, Mugu has played better than she has in a while. I am hoping she's getting her mojo back. I'm rather sick of women winning a Major and then bottoming out.