Rogers Cup 2023, Toronto, Canada - ATP Masters 1000

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
No..that's not exactly what Fergus stated..the point was over then Frances ran into the part of the net that's not considered part of the singles match. Now that's was a bit complicated but Here's where's it's get more complicated..If the ball hits the non singles part of the net during the rally and bounces into the singles court, it's a live point
Oh so that point went to Frances? I am just watching the highlights of the match cause I went to the gym and just got back about 20 mins ago

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Gotdammitt Frances cheat to the middle on the deuce side whenever you are returning service and move the big guy

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
@Fiero425 fiero please crucify Frances for letting him in the match.
But give Milos credit.he PLAYED his game and executed it the best way he could

Last edited:
Reactions: Fiero425

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm so disappointed in Frances. He's in the great point of the year for his game, he loses in DC, and now he loses to a guy that is coming off a multiple year injury break. SMH. :facepalm:

Reactions: tossip

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Big Foe loses in 1R to an out of shape servebot after laying an egg in his home tourney of D.C. And I'm supposed to believe this guy is ready to win the USO! Haha

Where is his #1 fan at when he's littering up the stat sheets

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Big Foe loses in 1R to an out of shape servebot after laying an egg in his home tourney of D.C. And I'm supposed to believe this guy is ready to win the USO! Haha

Where is his #1 fan at when he's littering up the stat sheets
Tiafoe is not heading into the USO with any kind of tailwind, at this rate.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
@Fiero425 fiero please crucify Frances for letting him in the match.
But give Milos credit.he PLAYED his game and executed it the best way he could

We had such high hopes for Milos, but it wasn't to be w/ him, Kei, Grigor, Marin, and others who wound up being in a "dead era" of NG''rs! Only Cilic really won anything; '14 USO! I remember Milos defeating Rafa in one of these Masters tourneys, but it was the same thing; short-lived success! It's something we'll have to get accustomed to seeing w/ today's players! Win one week then sumarily dismissed early the next! Frances, Taylor, Hurkacz, Denis Shap., & Khachanov may never acquire the consistency required to be an elite player making history! They're all good, solid players, but that "it" factor only resides in a few like Medvedev, Rune, Sinner, Stefan, & of course Carlos! I include Jannick due to his upsets of Alcaraz even though he'll also have problems staying on court for very long! :face-with-hand-over-mouth::astonished-face: :fearful-face::yawningface:

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
We had such high hopes for Milos, but it wasn't to be w/ him, Kei, Grigor, Marin, and others who wound up being in a "dead era" of NG''rs! Only Cilic really won anything; '14 USO! I remember Milos defeating Rafa in one of these Masters tourneys, but it was the same thing; short-lived success! It's something we'll have to get accustomed to seeing w/ today's players! Win one week then sumarily dismissed early the next! Frances, Taylor, Hurkacz, Denis Shap., & Khachanov may never acquire the consistency required to be an elite player making history! They're all good, solid players, but that "it" factor only resides in a few like Medvedev, Rune, Sinner, Stefan, & of course Carlos! I include Jannick due to his upsets of Alcaraz even though he'll also have problems staying on court for very long! :face-with-hand-over-mouth::astonished-face: :fearful-face::yawningface:
Milos Raonic is THE Poster child as to why the Slams are not yet one homogenized standardized court. A finalist at Wimbledon(2016), was he not? If the courts were as fast as they were in the 70's IMO he would be a Wimbledon champion, and I don't think that would be a good thing. ; )

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
No..that's not exactly what Fergus stated..the point was over then Frances ran into the part of the net that's not considered part of the singles match. Now that's was a bit complicated but Here's where's it's get more complicated..If the ball hits the non singles part of the net during the rally and bounces into the singles court, it's a live point
Yeah it was a great bit of umpiring, wasn’t it? I’d never heard of that before but it makes sense…

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Tiafoe is not heading into the USO with any kind of tailwind, at this rate.
I don't Sis Moxie why I just can't never feel good about trusting Frances game.. it's me and maybe one day I will accept that it's something unconventional and Frances makes it work for him.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa has no business loosing to Frances 2 years ago
It’s only last year, one of eight defeats in 13 matches after he withdrew from Wimbledon. He gave everybody a holiday since that quarter final match against Fritz, and they all enjoyed themselves. But reality bites everyone, and we’re seeing truth now..

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
It’s only last year, one of eight defeats in 13 matches after he withdrew from Wimbledon. He gave everybody a holiday since that quarter final match against Fritz, and they all enjoyed themselves. But reality bites everyone, and we’re seeing truth now..
He hasn't said it but I think the hip muscle was a bit jaded at that time but it's no excuse, Frances won the match.

As for this thread , I feel bad for Frances fans because as Moxie stated earlier, his game is trending the wrong way. He has plenty of time to get it straightened out before the open.

Reactions: Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
He hasn't said it but I think the hip muscle was a bit jaded at that time but it's no excuse, Frances won the match.

As for this thread , I feel bad for Frances fans because as Moxie stated earlier, his game is trending the wrong way. He has plenty of time to get it straightened out before the open.
Frances was never gonna be beating a fully keyed up Rafa at the USO, but you’re right about the way he’s trending. It’s not a huge surprise but he’s got his work cut out for him..

tented

Administrator
Reactions
IMG_3411.jpeg

PhiEaglesfan712

Masters Champion
Reactions
Rafa has no business loosing to Frances 2 years ago
Frances is a good player. The win over Rafa was no fluke, as he followed it up with a dominant performance in the quarterfinals and took Carlos Alcaraz into deep waters in the semis (Frances should have won that one by the way).

It's not like Frances is a mid-level player like Lloyd Harris or Mackenzie McDonald (who beat Rafa in the 2021 Citi Open and 2023 Australian Open, respectively). Now, those are guys Rafa has no business losing to.

Reactions: Fiero425