Rogers Cup 2023, Toronto, Canada - ATP Masters 1000

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Not a fan of his counterpunching

Counterpunching can be entertaining, but leaves the player vulnerable if they're not "on!" Everything has to be clicking for consistent enough play to even win a tournament, much less stay in the top ranks for very long! You see what counter-punching did to Murray! Goolagong was supposed to be a counter-puncher technically, but IMO she went to the net too often to be classified anywhere near a defensive player! It was beautiful though! I even keep a highlight reel of one of her AO final's wins on my Facebook stream at all times! Di Maur's, a typical, classic Aussie player who's solid, but he won't defeat an elite player consistently! I think he must have been "in the zone" just staying in these grueling pts. and games over the last few days! IDK how he's supposed to survive Cincy?! My bet is he just WD's over losing in an early round! Sinner didn't have that bad a time of it; closing out players in 2 sets & a WD (Murray) for the most part! That probably would've changed his week if Murray could've mustered up the old magic! End RANT! :face-with-head-bandage: :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :astonished-face: :fearful-face: :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I love Sinner's reaction on winning his 1st M1000 title, it was subdued, however; it meant A LOT to him winning his maiden M1000 title! I even saw Cahill turning red and being proud of his student finally getting over the hump!

To be honest, I am hoping that this title will allow him to become more calm in future big tournaments! He will never be flashy or as great the younger players (Alcaraz/Rune etc...), but I do think he will be consistently good/great player right now and the future! And I do believe Cahill will remind him of that every single day!
You just have to think this will do wonders for his confidence. He's had a lot of attention on him, and weight of expectation, so it helps to get a big title under your belt.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Alex de Minaur will have a new ranking of 12, after reaching the final, highest ranked Aussie man since Nick K in January 2017

Reactions: Moxie

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Counterpunching can be entertaining, but leaves the player vulnerable if they're not "on!" Everything has to be clicking for consistent enough play to even win a tournament, much less stay in the top ranks for very long! You see what counter-punching did to Murray! Goolagong was supposed to be a counter-puncher technically, but IMO she went to the net too often to be classified anywhere near a defensive player! It was beautiful though! I even keep a highlight reel of one of her AO final's wins on my Facebook stream at all times! Di Maur's, a typical, classic Aussie player who's solid, but he won't defeat an elite player consistently! I think he must have been "in the zone" just staying in these grueling pts. and games over the last few days! IDK how he's supposed to survive Cincy?! My bet is he just WD's over losing in an early round! Sinner didn't have that bad a time of it; closing out players in 2 sets & a WD (Murray) for the most part! That probably would've changed his week if Murray could've mustered up the old magic! End RANT! :face-with-head-bandage: :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :astonished-face: :fearful-face: :face-with-tears-of-joy:
Thank you on Goolagong, the most fluid mover of all time on a tennis court,

Just stating the facts.

Andy22

Major Winner
Reactions
Sinner winning Masters title been long time coming he's been one of best players in the world last Couple years.

Sinner is now one of Favourites to win USO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moxie and Fiero425

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think we all need to pat ourselves on the back. Obviously Jannik has been reading our forum where we have lovingly told him the clock is ticking to get a big win. That motivated him to greater heights this weeks. We too, are Jannik Sinner !! ; )

IMG_3552.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Jannik Sinner win percentage by year,

2019 52%
2020 64.5%
2021 69%
2022 73%
2023% 79%
A great improvement from Jannik over the above years

Also I was wondering why Canadian tennis player Bianca Andreescu was watching Jannik's match, apparently Jannik and Bianca have been dating for 3 months
( he didnt ask my permission by the way :)

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Sinner winning Masters title been long time coming he's been one of best players in the world last Couple years.

Sinner is now one of Favourites to win USO.
Well he did make the SF at the USO last year and did have point to win the match against Alcaraz which went 5 sets, to me that was one of the best matches in 2022
Winning breeds Success so I am hoping with this Masters title win can carry him to do well on the HC in the Amercian swing

Reactions: Andy22

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Thinking more with Sinner and his first Masters 1000 title win, it probably took longer, but quite frankly I dont think he was physically ready until this year. So you start at 2023 lost 2 semis and a first 1000 level, it was coming he has it. Well done young man and a great early birthday present for you on the 16th August

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I've been pretty checked out of tennis lately, but was pleased to see this morning that Jannik (finally) brought home his first big(gish) one. Very good news. Hopefully he can build on his "taste of blood."

Reactions: tented

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Thinking more with Sinner and his first Masters 1000 title win, it probably took longer, but quite frankly I dont think he was physically ready until this year. So you start at 2023 lost 2 semis and a first 1000 level, it was coming he has it. Well done young man and a great early birthday present for you on the 16th August
I hear what you are saying, but just wanted to point out that he's still on the younger side of first time big title winners. Here's a chart I made last year (I think), updated through Sinner:

Screen Shot 2023-08-14 at 11.42.26 AM.png

So he's on the "ascending" side of the peak. I wouldn't call him a young first timer, but he's on the younger half.

As you can see, once you get to age 20, there's a wide range of outcomes. It is really only the teenagers who are almost sure things for greatness. 8 of 11 non-active players are 6+ Slam winners; Chang could be considered a near great, with only Andrei Medvedev and Alberto Mancini flaming out (they were both basically done in their mid-20s). Alcaraz has a very good chance of making it 9 of 12 turning into greats..the jury is still out on Holger.

Anyhow, the age 20-21 group includes a wider range, and more distributed. So just based on this one factor, we can't really speculate too much on Sinner's ultimate level of accomplishment. It is worth noting that of the age 21-22 group that he's part of, exactly half went on to win Slams (and half didn't).

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
???

This is an event you use to measure goats.. :popcorn
I'm confused about your confusion. I wrote "big(gish)" because it isn't a Slam. But it certainly matters, and is a big win for him.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm confused about your confusion. I wrote "big(gish)" because it isn't a Slam. But it certainly matters, and is a big win for him.
I’ll tell ya, it’s a warm up. The players of yore had these events in context, they’re bigger than your Queens Club and Halle but they only serve the same function..

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I’ll tell ya, it’s a warm up. The players of yore had these events in context, they’re bigger than your Queens Club and Halle but they only serve the same function..
Yeah, I don't really agree with that - at least not now. Maybe at different times they were viewed that way, but that's also probably changed over the years. All tournaments matter, it is just a matter of degree. Slams are obviously the big prizes, but I don't see Masters as mere warm-ups.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah, I don't really agree with that - at least not now. Maybe at different times they were viewed that way, but that's also probably changed over the years. All tournaments matter, it is just a matter of degree. Slams are obviously the big prizes, but I don't see Masters as mere warm-ups.
You ask Sinner or Sissy - would you prefer to finish your career with 20 MS titles or 1 GS? A player hasn’t achieved greatness until they tick off a GS title - and that’s only their starting point.

If they finish their career with 20 MS titles and no slams, that only emphasises their shortcomings..

Reactions: Andy22

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
You ask Sinner or Sissy - would you prefer to finish your career with 20 MS titles or 1 GS? A player hasn’t achieved greatness until they tick off a GS title - and that’s only their starting point.

If they finish their career with 20 MS titles and no slams, that only emphasises their shortcomings..
In such a hypothetical, that would be an interesting career and worth of debate regarding greatness. In my view, such a player would indeed be far greater than a player with one Slam but nothing else. I mean, we already have somewhat similar comparisons: Zverev vs. someone like Gaudio or Johansson. Zverev is a far greater player than those two were, even if he never wins a Slam. I'm sure he'd trade his trophies, but that doesn't necessarily equate with greatness, as far as analyzing the quality and level of play over time.