Rio Olympics 2016 (Non Tennis Events)

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Men's 200m final later tonight. No Gatlin! Bolt says he's gonna try run a sub-19 second race, but his fastest time this year is from the semifinal, 19.78, or something like that. There are men in the final who have run faster than him this season. The world record looks safe: 19:19...

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Does anyone know as to how long will be the closing ceremony and any other info on the content of it. Thanks.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Does anyone know as to how long will be the closing ceremony and any other info on the content of it. Thanks.

Couldn't find much on the web, but wiki has a page about it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Summer_Olympics_closing_ceremony

On the Olympics ticket website, the times given are 17:15-23:00, but I'm not sure what that consists of:

https://ingressos.rio2016.com/rio2016.html?affiliate=OGF&doc=search&fun=search&action=filter

Here's another article here, giving US TV details regarding the closing ceremony, and some intel about what's going to be in it:

http://www.vox.com/2016/8/19/12502888/closing-ceremony-time-rio-olympics-watch-online-time-live-stream

EDIT: by the way, the 2012 closing ceremony lasted 3 hours and 11 minutes, so I dunno how long this one will last, even though the Rio budget is a fraction of the GB budget for the same...

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
USA won a tough one vs Spain in the semifinals today. Spain really found its game after a couple bad losses to start and they also were the only team to cause the US trouble the last two Olympics. And the last two Olympics featured far stronger teams for the US so this one figured to be as tough as it was. They will play Serbia or Australia for the gold medal on Sunday and currently Serbia is winning big. I went down the players list in my head and the US is missing 7 of its top 8 players and that means 7 of the worlds 8 best players. This is a good chance for a team to steal gold, but I think Spain is more dangerous than Australia and much more dangerous than Serbia.

Reactions: teddytennisfan

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Serbia thrashed Australia by 26. Mini-upset given the fact Australia beat them by 15 in preliminary play a week ago. The US will have to bring it, Serbia lost by only 3 a week ago. The US has found its defense lately but they still haven't had a huge game offensively. If Durant and/ or Anthony shows up big and Klay stays hot they win this easily. If only one or none of the 3 do well then it will be a tough game for sure. I think US gets it done by 15+ points.

Last edited:

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
And the bronze match should be interesting. I'm pulling for Australia but got to give Spain the slight edge.

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

WHERE, where where? please give me the link - i wanna post in one of the topics there before RIO is finished ...u know me - i try to find some topic where it's ''related" , hehe...and i'll post it as ''response" to my other Brits friends there. lol!!

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
That trash sure gives Americans a great name.

he's really not just the only - i mean sooner or later some are going to get overboard with behavior..these are ''hormonal" folks after all --
but there's been a bit of a pattern bythe americans, as usual...

report says he now twitted an ''apology" in the also familiar-from-the-politicians style of ''non-apology apology" as in "i did NOT have sex with that woman! --'it depends on what you think 'is' is".

or 2 days ago - biden in serbia "we sympathize with your loss" - but no apology for destroying serbia...

so -- what's new?

people seem to have missed that the swimming''gold medalist" and team

even before thegames started were ragging on about "why is that russian joining ? she's a cheat, they're on drugs"

publicly refused to accept congratulations from silver medalist Efimova (who was allowed ONLY because she trains IN florida) - and aftewards went on SOME MORE about efimova being unworthy to join ..

AND reports from south american papers about how americans in general - particularly noted, -- the white ones -- often going around haughtily and refusing to mingle (zika? - really? they are THAT ''precious?") - acting like they are so above everyone else...

where there goes ANDY MURRAY and that young diver brit - happily making friends and winning golds just as much.

so -- do people STILL i am making up ideas about the self-styled ''most exceptional" ''merikkkans>" ?

lol. you're blind - willfully so -- if you refuse to see what the WORLD'S eyes sees ALL the time -- from OKINAWA to china tp0 africa, to middle east --

in poliotics, cuture, money, tourism, rio....americans ACTUALLY believe the world is their oyster...what creepy people ...

Reactions: DarthFed

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Serbia thrashed Australia by 26. Mini-upset given the fact Australia beat them by 15 in preliminary play a week ago. The US will have to bring it, Serbia lost by only 3 a week ago. The US has found its defense lately but they still haven't had a huge game offensively. If Durant and/ or Anthony shows up big and Klay stays hot they win this easily. If only one or none of the 3 do well then it will be a tough game for sure. I think US gets it done by 15+ points.

that means they were pretty evenly matched maybe.

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
did you all catch that japanese guy? he was doing ok in his pole vault and then his PENIS BULGE hit the pole - lol.

but as expected - USAIN BOLT and jamaica track were amazing. man. are they for real?

he's now 3-3 in gold perfect record in all 3 olympics he joined, amazing!

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

RSS
Add to favorites

20.08.2016 Author: Martin Berger

Modern America: The Empire of Lies
Column: Society
Region: USA in the World

The notion that the United States is an empire of lies would be difficult to dispute by anyone who has followed the events of the last decade. It’s a sad fact that today the absolute majority of Washington’s policies along with the foundation of so-called “American democracy” are built upon blatant lies.

So is it any wonder that so-called American “heroes” of the Rio Olympics: swimmers James Feigen, Ryan Lochte, Gunnar Benz and Jack Conger, provided false testimonies about them being robbed in a taxi on the way to the Olympic Village? It turns out now that nobody came as close as even attempting to rob them. Now these athletes may face charges of making false accusations in Brazil, along with being accused of discrediting the sitting Brazilian President Dilma Vana Rousseff who has been the prime target of Washington’s meddling recently.

In all honesty, there is no need for being surprised, since these “hero-swimmers” have been educated regarding Washington’s lies, encountered in virtually all aspects of an American’s life. The White House has been lying its way through various attempts to overthrow unwanted governments and politicians upon the international stage, spreading disinformation through such CIA “benefactors” like George Soros.

The entire world witnessed former US Secretary of State Colin Powell in all seriousness displaying tubes with unknown substances in them before the UN Security Council, claiming they represented “convincing and incriminating” evidence against Iraq’s Saddam Hussein, enough to launch a military attack against the nation.

We remember how renowned American journalist, Pulitzer Prize Laureate Seymour Hersh, caught the US government officially disseminating lies about how “terrorist number one” Osama bin Laden was actually killed.

He has also published an investigation piece under the title “Whose Sarin“, demonstrating that the US government and President Barack Obama personally, deliberately lied when they claimed that the Syrian government had used sarin poison gas back in 2013. It’s been announced that Hersh was using information he had received from sources within the US intelligence community and the Pentagon. This evidence confirmed that both the White House statements and fraudulent propaganda unwound by the media, pursued the sole goal – to create a pretext for armed intervention in Syria and replace the government in Damascus with Washington’s subordinates, thus taking full control of the country.

Moreover, the American Thinker would note that:

Democratic presidential front-runner Hillary Clinton committed her second gaffe in as many days on the campaign trail Monday night, claiming that the US “did not lose a single person” in Libya during her time as secretary of state. To Hillary Clinton, the four male officials and warriors do not matter at all. They are at best an inconvenience. If they were alive, they would have to be dealt with, but because they are dead, they can be forgotten.

But honestly, what does one expect from the likes of Hillary Clinton if even the Washington Post wouldn’t hesitate to present a video filled with her lies and “shifting positions?” Her ideas on Bosnia, healthcare, Wall Street, NAFTA are ever-shifting, since she’s convinced that Americans are unable to memorize basic facts or recall even recent American history.

Accusing Hillary Clinton of blatant hypocrisy, alternative media source Counter Punch would use a hash tag #NeverHillary, while giving the recent Democrats’ champion the following evaluation: “She’s sleazy – a cheater and a liar”, noting that she wanted to set the minimum wage at the level of 12 dollars per hour, but since Bernie’s 15 dollars per hour was more popular, she claimed she wanted to introduce precisely the same wage. When pressed, she conceded she’d “like” 15 dollars per hour, but would not lift a finger to make it happen federally. Incredibly, she still conducts herself in this same manner.

The Baltimore Sun did not hesitate to accuse Clinton of the deliberate concealment of facts from Congress and the American people either, noting that the State Department’s inspector general released a report last week concluding that Hillary Clinton is a breathtakingly brazen and consistent liar. What’s infuriating about all of this is that it is not, in fact, news. Over a year ago, Hillary Clinton held a press conference at the United Nations with the intent to put the whole controversy around her released emails to rest, yet, nearly every significant statement she made was a lie, The Baltimore Sun would note, adding that we have known it for a year now, that from the earliest days of this scandal, Clinton was lying.

So what behavior one can expect from most American citizens, including these “hero-swimmers”, when even at the highest levels, officials are lying blatantly, while displaying no fear whatsoever of any potential consequences? What’s even more striking is that those liars are being promoted and encouraged in the US political establishment, and they are being allowed to occupy the highest political positions in the state, as if we are being told: “In lies we trust here, it is our symbol and our flag, because we are the Empire of Lies.“

Martin Berger is a freelance journalist and geopolitical analyst, exclusively for the online magazine “New Eastern Outlook.”

Popular Articles
Will Hungary Be Next to Exit the EU?
by F. William Engdahl
Will Hungary be the next nation to exit the dysfun...
Newsfeed from our colleagues
U.S. killing more civilians in Iraq, Syria than it acknowledges

Paul Wood and Richard Hall

Featured Content

Vladimir Odintsov The Global De-dollarization and the US Polici...

Janet Phelan MIT States That Half of All Children May be A...

Konrad Stachnio Ukraine: ‘Bangladesh’ is Investing in Bandera...

Tony Cartalucci With Aleppo Encircled, West Seeks Wildcard to...

F. William Engdahl Russia and China: Watch Out Moody’s, Here We ...
NEO in social networks
Facebook Twitter
Video
  • 0.jpg
    As Libya Burns, Remember Who Lit the Fires
Partners

Blogroll

Activist Post

Antiwar

Agora Vox

Boiling Frogs Post

Blacklisted News

Counter Punch

Foreign Policy Journal

Global Research

Information Clearing House

Moon of Alabama

Modern Tokyo Times

NSNBC

OpEdNews

Tom Dispatch

The Excavator

Voltaire Net

E-mail:
info@journal-neo.org

Electronic analytical journal New Eastern Outlook 2010-2016
Republishing of the articles is welcomed with reference to NEO.
The views of the authors do not necessarily coincide with the opinion of the editorial board.

=============

oh the news sources above -- and many others -aren't VETTED PROPERLY in the american/western media...andestablishment -- so they must be lying, right, MOXIE?

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
S

Speaking about defense, Australia scored only 14 points in the first half. I watch basketball all my life and I don't think I've ever heard of anything like that before. Funny thing is that they even had couple of guys who are each paid more than entire Serbian team put together, Bogut 12M pa and Dellavedova 9M pa. You couldn't see any of the two anywhere on the court.

Australia would suit US better so no wonder many Americans believe they will play Australia in the final.

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
S

Speaking about defense, Australia scored only 14 points in the first half. I watch basketball all my life and I don't think I've ever heard of anything like that before. Funny thing is that they even had couple of guys who are each paid more than entire Serbian team put together, Bogut 12M pa and Dellavedova 9M pa. You couldn't see any of the two anywhere on the court.

Australia would suit US better so no wonder many Americans believe they will play Australia in the final.

oh my god -- that muchmoney ? wow. that is like being professional players earnings already.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
S

When's the final?

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
S

I've never heard of anything like that before. Not even in women's basketball. It doesn't matter how "off" an opponent is, to only give up 14 points in a half is incredibly impressive.

Australia and Spain have a lot more talent than Serbia but those teams also have tons less talent than the US (everyone does in basketball) so the U.S. simply has to match the great team ball that Serbia plays. It won't be easy. But the talent gap means if the US plays reasonably well (actually plays decent defense and hits their open 3's) this won't be close.

I know you think lowly of American basketball (which I find hilarious since most international teams model themselves off of certain coaches like Pops) but the issue is that they only get a few weeks every couple years to gel as a team and it is not easy. The other issue which I've mentioned many times is that they are missing almost all of their best players, these games wouldn't be a contest if Lebron, Westbrook, Curry, etc. were on the team. Spain and Argentina are getting old, both teams were tougher the last 2 Olympics.

Last edited: