Rio Olympics 2016 (Non Tennis Events)

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Starts on August 5th, finishes on August 21st, and here's the official site, with the schedule of events. It's the biggest sporting event in the world. Apparently half the worlds population tuned in to watch the Olympic Games in London, at some point or another. It'll make headlines, create new global stars, be tainted by controversy, and give us a huge jamboree of spectacle and entertainment.

I have to say, I love watching the Olympics, particularly got a buzz watching Michael Phelps in the last two games, go from superstar, to Superman. And he's back again this year, to try extend his record of medals (22), and golds (18).

Usain Bolt, gymnastics, track and field, the marathon, all the staples of TV viewing, and opinionating, and household uproar and delight, for little over 2 weeks.

What are you looking forward to, yourself?

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I like to watch opening ceremony and closing ceremony.

I like to watch gymnastics, diving, all "synchronized" events. I don't enjoy watching fencing and many other events.

However, I am disillusioned with so much doping going on there. As a result, I am going to cut down watching stuff this time.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
I like to watch opening ceremony and closing ceremony.

I like to watch gymnastics, diving, all "synchronized" events. I don't enjoy watching fencing and many other events.

However, I am disillusioned with so much doping going on there. As a result, I am going to cut down watching stuff this time.

Yeah, it's a tarnished event, unfortunately. Need to suspend so much disbelief to watch it. But I still enjoy the bogey events, like sprinting etc. Will be interested in the 100m gold, see if Bolt can win a third...

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
A kind of maniacal blanket denial has ripped through Russians, from Putin downwards, who prefer to spout incoherent conspiracy nonsense than address their own corruption and inability to realise that they've long ago become a backward, rogue state. Not just in athletics, but with regards to the Olympics, definitely in athletics, and other sports. The full extent of their banning from Rio won't become clear until their appeal it heard by CAS, but it makes for a fascinating character study to watch them struggle with their own faultlines. The whistleblowers have been bloody brave for telling the truth, but now the consequences for the country at this years Olympics is calamitous.

I'm beginning to think that it might take another Olympic games to be almost completely sacrificed through mass bannings in order to even start to make drug cheats feel unsafe in what they're doing...

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
US women's soccer team beats NewZealand 2-0 in the opening match. Is it legal to have events starting before the opening ceremony? :puzzled

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Croatia shock world No2 Spain in the men’s basketball!

Spain were favorites to take the silver medal behind the mighty USA team and they will still progress to the next round but this is a definite setback. The game was a thriller too - Spain had a healthy lead at half-time but found themselves four points down with 16 seconds to play. A three-pointer took them to within one but a free-throw for the Croats took the deficit to two and they held on for victory. @Twisted

Reactions: teddytennisfan

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Spain beats US in Water Polo. I get tired watching that sport, my goodness, it has to be tough been in the water for long time swimming and hitting the ball :confused:

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Croatia shock world No2 Spain in the men’s basketball!

Spain were favorites to take the silver medal behind the mighty USA team and they will still progress to the next round but this is a definite setback. The game was a thriller too - Spain had a healthy lead at half-time but found themselves four points down with 16 seconds to play. A three-pointer took them to within one but a free-throw for the Croats took the deficit to two and they held on for victory. @Twisted

I know I've mentioned it the past couple of Olympics but I really think the US should stop sending the top professionals there. Sending college all stars or young NBA upstarts will likely not yield gold but it just makes more sense. The NBA is where these guys make all their money and it's what their careers will be based on. They have a lot to lose by playing (potential injury and enormous humiliation if they don't get gold). I think it was smart for aging players like Lebron and Chris Paul to sit it out, and I do not fault other younger guys like Curry and Westbrook for not going either. it's kind of a been there done that thing at this point for many of them. We all saw what happened to Paul George while training for the World Championships a couple years ago, it was not pretty. At the end of the day the guys who go ARE willing to play so I guess it comes to that.

Now with that said it is incredible to see all that talent on the court at one time. This team isn't as strong as the past couple that have had most of the very top players on it and chances are we will never have something approach the Dream Team of 1992. But you are still talking about Durant, Kyrie Irving, and a bunch of other superstars/all stars all on one team. I will definitely be tuning into a bunch of those games, they play Venezuela in a couple hours.

Other than that I always hope to catch the track and field and then will watch some other events sporadically.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I love women's gymnastics. This was my sport through college. I'm up late watching the rerun of the team competition, though I know USA won. Very, very strong US team.

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
Yuliya Efimova should not have been allowed to compete. She was caught doping twice which is enough to warrant a life ban. Instead she won silver in swimming. I suspect corruption at all levels that got her into the event. Justice needs to be served. Russians should be banned. No milder punishment will do.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Pathetic first half vs. Australia. I think the Aussies are probably the 2nd best team this year. 5 NBA players and 2 others that used to play in the NBA. And they are playing Durant and the B and C team of USA so this event isn't a total slam dunk for the USA this year. Down 5 at the half, need to step it up to avoid international embarrassment. Even if they win gold if they drop a game to these scrub squads that is a failure.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
They pulled it together a bit in the 2nd half especially on defense. Ended up winning by 10 but that's not indicative of how close it was. Hopefully that's a wakeup call. Anthony went nuts, they'd have lost without him. Durant will not have another game that bad and if Klay Thompson gets his crap together they won't have another one as close as that. Those 3 are going to get plenty of wide open looks and they are used to knocking down NBA 3's, when they get hot from this shorter distance it is tough for any of these teams to stay with them. I won't be surprised if they see the Aussies in the gold medal game.

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
REMEMBER WADA AND MARIA SHARAPOVA?

i warned everyone -- THAT was a political game by the USA/UK/CANADA primarily against russia as part of the all-out war against russia for daring to REFUSE to boy to the ''empire's directives" - whether in syria, middle east, eastern europe, ukraine, crimea, and of course to just BOW.

-- IT IS NOT yet over, folks...it appears that MELDONIUM? the USA has long been using meldonium on athletes with but a few ''tweaks" in ordeer to make it legal the way it is used by AMERICAN athletes -- i don't recall where the article is -- but if i find it , i'll post it here. but if not, you'll hopefully just take my word for it - because it IS there to find. nobody talks about THAT of course..it's all about ''those drug-infested russians"

---

as for the CORRUPT WADA officials -- it appears many of their previous accusations against russia are ''quietly'' being ''disappeared" from their websites ....cleaning the 'slate' - in other words -- because THOSE ARE LEGAL EVIDENCE of what is very LIKELY being prepared by russia in TONS AND TONS OF COURT CASES AGAINST WADA, and these federations ..not excluding the dozens of lawyers,k offidcials, right down to clerks -- if in ANY way instrumental in building the CLEARLY PREJUDICIAL BANNING of russian athletes to ''cull'' the team down to 'size'.

it's NOT OVER folks -- because it is AFTER the olympics that russia will train its attention

to clear out the cockroahces right up to the highest levels...

and SHOW THE WORLD that if THERE IS ANY CORRUPT - DRUG INFESTING, MONEY LAUNDERING ORGANIZATION in this world -- in sports at the very least --

it is WADA and the AMERICAN LED global sports ''committees".

just watch --

there is a saying about russians, u know...

they have the memory of an elephant, they NEVER ever forget -- and WILL come to avenge when it is thought it was ''forgotten''. and trust it -- ain't over by a mile...there are high officials in these places of WADA/UK/CANADA'/USA SPORTS federations who WILL be made MISERABLE having to face case after case after case from russian athletes and federations where it COUNTS AND HURTS...

THEIR POCKETS! LOL

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
russia-insider.com
Forgive Them, Yelena Isinbayeva. They Don't Know What They Do
Phil Butler (Pravda.ru) 1 hour ago | 199 0
Russia's greatest track and field athlete, two-time Russian Olympic pole vault champion Yelena Isinbayeva is being sacrificed on the altar of sport. The most irreproachable of Russia's marquee international competitors, Isinbayeva is now singled out by WADA, the IAAF, and the political and business establishment of worldwide athletics to die on the cross of sportsmanship. Here is why her sacrifice may not be in vain.

Yelena Isinbayeva is a symbol of everything excellent about not just Russia, but the striving and excellence that was once sport. Exemplary, this is the only term to describe a career that includes two Olympic golds, three world championships, and every women's pole vault record worth surmounting.

Today, after having appealed to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) to compete in Rio, she's acquiesced to the fate IAAF President Lord Sebastian Coe condemned her. Coe, to whom she had pleaded for reasons for her barring, was himself a two time Olympic champion. This RT article discusses Isinbayeva's case.

The gist is, Coe and the other British athletic hierarchy need a sacrificial offering. Since Thomas Bach and the IOC foiled the plant to ban all Russian athletes, the pride of Russia must be crucified to abet alleged sins. This is the reality, but Isinbayeva's crucifixion means more, a lot more.

The Pharisees of Sport

For many years now I have been suspicious of all sport, not just track and field or the Olympics. And I am not alone. This bloodletting over alleged "state sponsored" doping, it's really the acute flare up of a much more deeply seeded disease that has stricken worldwide athletics.

Take Sebastian Coe, for an individual instance, of how sporting elites in the west rise to prominence. Back in the 1980s Coe won gold in 80 and in 84, he was not unlike Isinbayeva, in that the world reveled in his excellence. Then in the run-up to 1988, Coe suffered a lung infection, and could not qualify.

But it was Coe's last win ever in 1989 that is of interest for my story. It was the Crystal Palace race that competitor Ikem Billy says he was paid $10,000 to lose. Back in 2012, when Coe and the London Games were all the rage, not many paid close attention to such an allegation. Now, with Coe also implicated in sponsor controversy, and in the overall issues of widespread doping, such "evidence" is well worth reconsidering. Coe may well be the Barabbas of this crucifixion.

The 1980s were heralded the "golden decade" of British athletics, but 30 pieces of silver come to mind when I think retrospectively. You see back then a man named Andy Norman was the iconic prefect of Britain sports. Appointed Britain's first ever professional promotions officer, Norman also ran a stable of the most iconic UK athletes including; Steve Ovett, Fatima Whitbread, Linford Christie and Jonathan Edwards, just to name a few. It was in this era that Britain became famous for a variety of "fixes" including widespread doping like that in US professional sports. Ikem Billy implicated Norman and Brit sport in his revelation to reporters:

"I was paid to finish second. I admit that it was fixed. Andy paid me to finish second. He told me: 'Make sure you don't win'. Everyone was scared of Andy. He dominated the sport. He could do what he wanted."

This story in the Herald Scotland tells more of the story, but the hierarchy we see ruling track and field now, owes much to such events and controversies. As damning as the allegations were though, the buzz and momentum of London 2012 swept over the deeper implications. When Andy Norman died unexpectedly in 2007, The Guardian posted a most unusual obituary, that compared him to the notorious International Amateur Athletic Federation President Primo Nebiolo.

Now remember, this is the same IAAF that is intent on pinning the Russian hero Yelena Isinbayeva to the Olympic cross. What I am driving at here is, the system of sponsorships, payments, and athletic promotions Norman set up, has led to the empowerment of a ring of Pharisees making all the rules of religious sport.

The New Sports Church of England

The Guardian epitaph for Norman brought into the limelight allegations Norman had helped athletes get past drug testing during the "golden decade" of Britain sport. That is another story, but today Norman disciples play key roles in the rulemaking and promotional aisle of British and world sports. Others in his stable of athletes were found cheating on an epic scale during this gold age of British athleticism. Linford Christie, for one, was eventually banned from any Olympic competition for his continual use of performance enhancing substances.

It is Christie, you'll recall, who is Britain's most decorated make athlete with 10 gold medals to his credit. Another Norman athlete, Brendan Foster would later become Vice-President Marketing (Worldwide) and Vice-President of Nike Europe. Team Britain record holder Steve Cram, whom Norman handled, joined British Athletics as an adviser and mentor to these 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio back in 2014.

Finally, triple jump champion and Norman athlete, Jonathan Edwards, who has been a key BBC sports announcer decades now, was in the thick of the IAAF alleged cover-up of the initial doping blood samples revelations. Edwards publicly questioned then IAAF, but I believe this was just in an effort to distance his BBC and now Eurosport TV career from Coe, Norman, doping, and any semblance of association with the bad side of sport.

Edwards is an interesting player in all this actually. This 2015 interview with him by BreatheSport, is meant to add credibility for "whistleblowers" like Yuliya Stepanova. Edwards, a devout Christian, seems to me to be the exception standing at arm's length away from those sports colleagues worshipping idols.

At the other end of the spectrum, former Norman associate, hurdles champion Alan Poscue became vice-chairman of the London bid for the 2012 Summer Olympics. His sports management and promotion skills are best outlined in an article in 1999 about his having resurrected Britain athletics funding wise. Poscue's Fast Track Llc.

Money, sponsors, BBC and government involvement, the incorporation of sport was all the news back then. Today Fast Track is into a lot more than pumping up a London or Rio Olympics. The website has news from the NFL draft, a Prince Harry supported Invictus Games, Hisense and the UEFA EURO 2016, and even collaboration with Lord Coe, Executive Chairman of CSM Sport & Entertainment via this story.

This completes an ever widening circle of sport/business with linkages into every corner of athletics. CSM is powered by clients from Adidas to Unilever, and by the same kinds of marquee sports celebrity Andy Norman became famous for leveraging. Only now Sebastian Coe is the "dictatorial" head of an even wider cabal of sports opportunists. This is the newest church of England, an athletics tabernacle where the religion of money and power stand as God. In the holy of holies of this church, geo-politics is simply another event to be managed.

Forgive Them Father

Yelena Isinbayeva does not know who stands behind Lord Sebastian Coe. Yelena Isinbayeva only knows her most powerful admirer, Russian President Vladimir Putin is their bitter enemy. Olympic champions do not ordinarily take up roles in huge marketing concerns, though we hear of some becoming successful in such a way.

There is no way Isinbayeva has ever met the CEO of Just Marketing International (JMI), the world's largest motorsport marketing agency, for instance. But former NASCAR driver Zak Brown is a partner with Sebastian Coe. It's almost impossible to imagine Yelena Isinbayeva ever having met with Sophie Goldschmidt, CSM's Group Managing Director, and a director at the European PGA Tour.

Goldschmidt is a key figure when the expansion of Britain influence into all sport is concerned. She's ties to the NBA, Rugby, and the Women's Tennis Association (WTA), plus many more sectors of sport marketing. These and dozens of other key associations clue us into the veritable "rabbit hole" of conflicted interests in sport today. The lines in between ethics and profit are now so blurred, even Putin himself could never make heads or tails of the graft and corruption facing any foe of these people.

Speaking of tennis, I am reminded of a Buzz Feed - BBC investigation into something dubbed "The Italian Job", which uncovered massive match rigging among top pro-tennis players in 2008. Once again the world of big time sports was introduced to the dark underside of athletics, and the same sort of "golden age" of cheating the Brits were accused of in the 80s. In that report, the chief prosecutor of gamblers fixing matches, Robert Di Martino had this to say:

"Fixing is a "worldwide problem" that happens "very frequently" at "all tournaments."

Di Martino also uncovered a massive horde of evidence of a global crime syndicate that made millions of dollars betting on rigged Italian football matches and other games across the world. But this is just tennis, and Vladimir Putin is not a tennis fan really. There have been allegations of massive doping by world athletes before, Lord Coe himself was accused a time or two. The anti-Russia witch hunt going on now, actually pales in comparison to what went on back in the late 70s and early 1980s. In 1976 British pentathlete named Mary Peters wrote in her book:

"A medical research team in the United States attempted to set up extensive research into the effects of steroids on weightlifters and throwers, only to discover that there were so few who weren't taking them that they couldn't establish any worthwhile comparisons."

I know that when Yelena Isinbayeva begs Sebastian Coe for the real reasons behind him destroying her legacy, that she really does not know the true depth of his involvement in the business of sport. If she or her biggest fan Vladimir Putin could take the time from training or world affairs to recollect, the 80s were the era where Coe, Cram, and Norman's favored Ovett basically came out of nowhere to rewrite the record books. Then when Ben Johnson tested positive in front of the world, Coe and the rest disappeared as quickly as they sprinted to the forefront. It is true that USA, New Zealand, Australian, or British born milers have never run so fast since there have been drug tests. Maybe the tears of Isinbayeva as she bade farewell to her Russian teammates headed to Rio would seem well shed, with a plea from her to the god of sport. I can almost hear her sweet voice in broken staccato:

"Forgive them father, for they know not what they do."

In my sports chest of wonderful memories there's a chest full of images of proud, yet humble champions. Alongside this treasure chest though, there's memories of the worst sports and most awful tragedies ever too. In every snapshot of greatness though, there's a common pixel of truth. It goes something like this; "A cheater never wins, and a winner never cheats."

Whatever Sebastian Coe did in the 1980s will reside in the halls of winners forever, but this last cheat will end up negating all glory. That is my sports bet on these Olympics.

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
journal-neo.org
Using the Olympics as a Weapon in the Total War on Russia | New Eastern Outlook
Author: Steven MacMillan
In response to Russia’s stance against Western aggression in Syria, the West has launched a full-scale war against Moscow. One of the major triggers of this war seemed to be when Russia diplomatically outmanoeuvred the US (through brokering a deal that brought Syria’s chemical weapons under international control) following the Ghouta sarin gas attack in 2013 – which the West blamed on Assad’s forces, but which was in fact a false flag attack to justify an invasion of Syria.

Since that point, the Western mainstream media has worked in concert to engage in one of the most blatant and naked propaganda offensives in modern history. On any giving day, there are a plethora of articles in the Western media that are not intended to actually inform the public of pertinent and important issues (imagine if the presstitutes actually done the job they are supposed to do), but are purely hit pieces against Russia. Anyone who reads or watches Western media on a regular basis will have seen this propaganda ad nauseam.

From information to economic; geopolitical to cyber: the West is using every aspect of warfare in an attempt to demonize and weaken Russia. In recent years, sport is an area that the West is increasingly trying to weaponize, with the FIFA scandal illustrative of this phenomenon. As award-winning author and geopolitical analyst, Mahdi Darius Nazemroaya, wrote in a June, 2015 article for the Strategic Culture Foundation titled, Forget Sports: Geopolitics is Behind the FIFA Scandal As the War Against Russia Enters a New Front:

“The whole FIFA scandal is not about corruption or dignity. The whole affair is about geopolitics and managing the world. Joseph [“Sepp”] Blatter was forced to step down because FIFA refused to cancel its decision to allow Russia to host World Cup 2018 and to reopen the bids for hosting World Cup 2018 and World Cup 2022.”

Ready, Set… Target Russia

With the FIFA scandal in mind, we can now see the decision to ban numerous Russian athletes from the Olympic Games in its proper context. The bans have absolutely nothing to do with sport, but everything to do with politics and the multifaceted offensive against Russia.

Moscow has been accused of running a state-sponsored doping program, an allegation that Russian authorities have denied. In July, the Canadian/NATO based World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) called for a complete ban on all Russian athletes from international competitions – including the 2016 Olympics in Rio – after a report commissioned by WADA claimed that Russian authorities were involved in a doping scheme.

The International Olympics Committee (IOC) has since rejected WADA’s call, and instead ruled that individual sports federations should make the decision on whether or not Russian athletes can compete. Many Russian competitors have now been banned from Rio by the international federations however, including the weightlifting team and the entire track and field team (except long-jumper, Darya Klishina, who lives and trains in the US). Over 100 Russian athletes will miss the games out of the original 387-member squad that was selected.

The targeting of Russian competitors is clearly an attempt to isolate Russia from the world, and foster criticism of Vladimir Putin domestically. It is also intended to create the perception in the minds of the global population that Russia is synonymous with corruption.

Even if all the allegations of doping are true (which they are not), the only reason Western based organizations – such as WADA – are targeting Russian athletes is because Russia is not a puppet-state of the West, and has resisted the neocons in Syria.

Steven MacMillan is an independent writer, researcher, geopolitical analyst and editor of The Analyst Report, especially for the online magazine “New Eastern Outlook”.

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
thesaker.is
Are the Olympics dead yet? Unraveling the doping scandal
The Saker
By Marcel Woland

Followers of mass media in the West may be forgiven for not noticing that the Olympic movement has been severely damaged by the recent weaponization of the Olympics.

What the average Western viewer was expected to take away from the much-reported ‘Russian doping scandal’ was that Russia is indeed a lawless, sinister entity and that the Fu Manchu-like Putin has his finger in every pie. Many believed it.

Luckily, the propaganda coup against the Olympic movement failed and saner, more ethical heads prevailed. More importantly, the presumption of innocence and condemnation of collective punishment was upheld. For those were the principles under attack. So were the Russians of course, but they are used to it by now, being blamed for everything from the corruption of the US Democratic Party, to the selection of the candidate for the Republicans, to Brexit.

I need to backtrack. The plotters’ timing was such that the main attack on Russia, through the International Olympic Committee (IOC), occurred in the last two weeks before the start of the Rio Olympics, even though the information used in the attack had been available for almost two years. Publishing deadlines made it hard to report, let alone analyze the unfolding events, in real time. Conspiracies use three elements to succeed: chronology, complexity and concealment. All those were working full-time as the final coats of paint and last pours of concrete were going on in Rio.

Two weeks before the Olympics were to begin, I received a petition to reinstate ex-Russian athlete, confessed doper and now, the petition alleged, ‘whistle-blower’ Juliya Stepanova. I already knew Stepanova to be a second-rate athlete, and a convicted doper, so I was skeptical, to say the least.

This meant re-examining the demand for a total ban against the Russian Federation in which Stepanova had played a key role. The call for a ban was rejected less than two weeks before the Olympics by the IOC (International Olympic Committee), just days before the petition to reinstate her began to circulate.

As a Canadian, who remembers the Pearson to Chretien years of relatively independent foreign policy, I was appalled to uncover the conspiratorial atmosphere enveloping the Montreal head-quartered WADA (World Anti Doping agency) and the CCES (Canadian Center for Ethics in Sport) where the plot was concocted, using Stepanova’s former drug-supplier, Grigory Rodzhenkov’s, unsubstantiated claims. These led directly to the quick-and-dirty McLaren report.

Within hours of the release of that report, Paul Melia, head of CCES, gleefully assuming that the collective punishment of Russians demanded by his organization and WADA was assured, wrote:

“His [fellow-Canadian McLaren’s] report lays out a narrative befitting a Hollywood thriller, implicating the highest levels of government, the secret Russian police and virtually every sport on the Olympic roster.”

The real ‘Hollywood Thriller’ it turns out, is not anything that may or may not have happened in Russia, but the the report itself, with its fantastic claims, and the hidden motives for them. All the claims it made and the witnesses it cited, including Stepanova, were rejected by the IOC as being without merit.

The problem, that the McLaren report likely ‘leaked’ to WADA and CCES in advance, is devoid of evidence. At the press conference, McLaren said that he had evidence, but was not going to publish it. With zero evidence, the report had to refurbish Cold War memes: FSB agents emptying urine samples by moonlight and substituting them with clean urine, “through a mouse-hole”. But, most importantly, he had a Russian, who had defected to the USA and who was willing to turn on his state and tell ‘the whole truth’ about it.

The ‘Russian’, Grigory Rodchenkov, is the chief and only witness in McLaren’s Report, a report which owes a ‘tip of the hat’ to the late Colbert Report for its sophisticated use of ‘truthiness’. (Truthiness is a quality characterizing a “truth” that a person making an argument or assertion claims to know intuitively “from the gut” or because it “feels right” without regard to evidence, logic, intellectual examination, or facts. -Wikipedia)

Rodchenkov is the disgraced former head of RUSADA (Russian Anti-Doping Agency). This agency, located in Moscow, was the only WADA-accredited agency in Russia. In other words, WADA explicitly endorsed the methods, standards and authenticity of the results of that lab.

The plot of the real thriller thickens: Rodchenkov was kept on at the Russian Anti-Doping Agency, with the tacit approval of WADA, even after he was charged in 2011 by Russia with selling banned, performance-enhancing substances to his sister, for resale to athletes. She was charged, convicted and jailed in Russia in 2013. Her brother got off the charge by claiming a ‘personality disorder’. Yet, in spite of all the above, WADA kept him on.

And last but not least is Juliya Stepanova herself, who has confessed to using banned substances and to paying Rodchenkov thirty thousand rubles ($1,000US) in 2010 to conceal her positive test results. Stepanova’s husband, Vitaly Stepanov, an anti-doping agent at RUSADA 2008-2011, knew of his wife’s and Rodchenkov’s practices, but told no one until 2015. In June 2016, the Stepanovs admitted receiving help to move to the USA and $30,000US in cash from WADA. Conspiracy at work: chronology, complexity and concealment!

In other words, Rodchenkov supplied banned substances to his sister, who sold them to athletes, from whom he then took bribes, in order to conceal the evidence of their drug use. But now Rodchenkov has a new role: he is the sole supplier of uncorroborated evidence to documentary film makers in Germany and the USA, whose so-called ‘investigations’ first stoked the fires of the conspiracy and, finally, to McLaren himself. Rodchenkov, is now wanted for questioning in Russia for the crimes he has confessed to. In fact, the highest official to be implicated in the alleged systemic doping in the Russian Federation, is Rodchenkov. Yet, McLaren states repeatedly in his report that Rodchenkov is “a credible and truthful source“.

McLaren’s fifty-seven day rush to judgment excluded interviews with The Russian Federation, its Olympic officials, and its athletes. His claim that he “had no time” to speak to the accused, while blithely using the information provided by a confessed criminal (Rodchenkov), is a violation not only of elementary jurisprudence, but of common sense and decency.

WADA too, who selected McLaren to investigate the most serious and pervasive problem in modern Olympics as an ‘Independent Person’, not only felt that fifty-seven days was ample, but that none of the accused had a right to to a hearing. In any event, McLaren clearly agreed to these terms. Two weeks before the Rio Olympics were to begin, WADA handed the McLaren report to the IOC for a decision, and waited.

The judgment came within days. WADA’s and McLaren’s claims had been rejected.

The character of the witnesses and absence of evidence had eviscerated the case against Russia. The chief ‘witness’ and his confederate, Stepanova, were more likely seen as opportunists and perjurers than ‘whistle- blowers’. The Olympic Ethics Committee judgment against Stepanova, following the submission of McLaren’s report, confirms this. Western mass media howled with impotent rage. (Blowback for WADA and their confederates and instigators is that the IOC has characterized their practices as a mess of ineptness and contradictions. IOC has demanded the reform and restructuring of WADA itself!)

Alexander Mercouris, international lawyer and journalist, says the following about the the banning of Stepanova, due to her admission to doping:

“…there is fury at the supposedly unfair treatment of Stepanova… It is being said this decision is bizarre given that she was supposedly instrumental in exposing the doping in the first place, and that by preventing her from competing the IOC is punishing a “whistle-blower”, which will deter other potential whistle- blowers from coming forward. All these claims and arguments are false and/or mendacious.”Why All Criticisms of the IOC’s Refusal to Ban Russian Athletes are Wrong – The Duran

A confessed doper, seeking exemption from the law, is not a ‘whistle-blower’. Whistle-blowers in the US are Snowden, Manning, Kiriakou, Assange (honorary) and many others. You can tell who they are by the way the state treats them. Prison. Torture. Exile. Persecution.

The judgment of the Olympic Ethics Committee on Stepanova is clear: “… the circumstances in which she denounced the doping practices which she had used herself, do not satisfy the ethical requirements for an athlete to enter the Olympic Games.”

The passion of young Olympic athletes must not become the plaything of old, resurgent, parasitic, Cold Warriors. They are all old and, almost all, male an aspect of the state-funded Olympics which needs serious investigation. The opportunities for sexual and psychological abuse abound. These WADA and CCES over-the-hill males, have already partially succeeded in damaging the Olympic Charter’s 6th Principle: non-discrimination of any kind, including nationality and political opinion. Since justice and doping practices were clearly not their real aims, what was? They have shown themselves capable of crossing all boundaries to achieve it. A scheduled press conference, no doubt prepared to celebrate their anticipated victory, was canceled. Clearly, as with any incompetent and compromised organization, they had no Plan B.

The IOC withstood a barrage of well-coordinated attacks from the uniformly on-message Western mass media, and the hatchet-job that is the McLaren Report. That report had reduced the huge problem of Olympic doping to a lurid, unsubstantiated harangue against Russia. The report and its sponsors have inadvertently swept the very real problem of doping under the rug once more. This weaponization of sports by the West has hurt Russia and its athletes, but it has also hurt all athletes and the Olympic movement itself. Proposing figures like Stepanova and Rodchenko as ‘whistle-blowers’ rather than the self-serving, disgraced and compromised characters they are, has demeaned real whistle-blowers, who have little enough protection as it is.

In protecting its own integrity, the IOC has delegated the power to ban Russians without evidence or the possibility of self-defense to the separate athletic associations. Thus, although not banned by the IOC, only athletes of the Russian Federation can still be banned – without cause. Elena Isinbayeva, two-time Olympic Gold Medal Track-and-Field winner and undisputed world champion of the pole vault, who has never doped, was banned by the IAAF; while several multiple-doping convicted members of the US and UK were not. On August 7, the entire Russian Paralympic team was banned.

For their partial victory, the IOC has been maligned in the Western media. But, by remaining above the fray, it has potentially positioned itself to reform the excesses and incompetence of WADA. The Olympics may not be dead yet, but they are on life-support.

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
as the above video correctly demonstrates...with examples;;

AMERICAN OFFICIALS who have been the main authors of this wada scandal to ban russia - AS THE ATTEMPT TO IMPUGN AND MALIGN RUSSIA'S reputation -- part of the 'PUTIN AND RUSSIA ARE THE GLOBAL THREAT" meme -- (as if the USA hasn't BEEN all this time, lol) --

already can sense RUSSIA in due time IS GOING TO EVENTUALLY GO AFTER THEM - AND THEIR CORRUPTIONS -- and

as the video states>

"are suddenly wiping away their statements " (that will incriminate them in their schemes) - from ''their websites" -- and ''pulling back" -- because they know --

with only 14 WESTERN nations in control of WADA -- JOINING the USA TO ''ban russia" - it leaves out the MAJORITY OF THE WORLD that has already been VICTIMIZED BY this same western crinminal organization masquerading as ''DRUG CONTROL" -- AND THOSE countries -- once russia and china finish setting up the PROPER alternatives and FORCE the global reforms --

these same CROOKS in the USA , UK, AND CANADA are going to have their lives turned to HELL that they DESERVE!

LOL.

just wait...justice IS coming yet.
=============================

as examples:

"the HEAD of WADA suddenly states in his website that there is NO PROOF that the RUSSIAN GOVERNMENT connived in drug programs -- CONTRARY TO HIS ORIGINAL ACCUSATIONS" ..

"the sudden disappearance FROM WADA website of the remarks of the so-called former russian whistleblower" (after research shows HIS being a BOUGHT , bitter former russian looking for a way to earn 'a living' by impugning his former country, lol)

"WADA AND AMERICAN officials and functionaries are pulling back -- KNOWING WHAT AWAITS THEM"...

to 'be eventually DRAGGED INTO COURTS EVERYWHERE for the rest of their lives -- where demands of PROOFS of their accusations against russia and every athlete that brings them to court for defamation, loss of contracts, earnings, etc"" WILL be their own undoing...

and ABOVE ALL -- THE REPUTATION OF THE ''CONTROLLING AND RULING ENTITIES" OF GLOBAL SPORTS, OLYMPICS ITSELF --

THE WESTERN LORDS--- LOL.

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This may just be in the US coverage, but I hate that it has become so dispersed across so many channels. And that the emphasis seems to be on personalities, not sports and statistics. It has become more like reality TV than sports. I can barely even find a statistic to see what record they're going for, or even the notion of standings. No problem knowing their life stories, though. I'm as much a sucker for the personal touch as anyone, but it seems to have tipped way too far to the side of that, to the complete exclusion of any real sports-style approach. Is it just me, or just the US coverage?

Reactions: teddytennisfan