Rio Olympics 2016 (Non Tennis Events)

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This may just be in the US coverage, but I hate that it has become so dispersed across so many channels. And that the emphasis seems to be on personalities, not sports and statistics. It has become more like reality TV than sports. I can barely even find a statistic to see what record they're going for, or even the notion of standings. No problem knowing their life stories, though. I'm as much a sucker for the personal touch as anyone, but it seems to have tipped way too far to the side of that, to the complete exclusion of any real sports-style approach. Is it just me, or just the US coverage?

Moxie -- I'M NOT sure myself -- i mean -- we can only rely on what's made available to us where ever we live..in the USA -- we are familiar with an emphasis on ''life-stories" type of reporting -- which of course is understandable especially when it comes to sports.

but you make a great point that -- this IS the global sports -- olympics we are talking about -- and it would be nice to have greater emphasis on the results -- the records, statistics,

LET'S GO!!! we wanna see who made the speed! and 10 ! i agree!!
i got a bit confused with their commentating also on the men's gymnastics -- as they were focusing a lot on the ukrainian guy (he placed silver instead of the expected gold ) as he is supposed to be ''legendary and liked by everyone including his rivals" -- which is NICE -- BUT they said so little about the japanese who beat him -- and then only when they announced the points did i understand ...

WEIRD -- sometimes -- hehe....

i LOVED the swimming though - phelps continues to AMAZE! DOESN'T he?

but THAT 18 YEAR OLD aussie was amazing! man!! they'll be challenging tomorrow ! whew!

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This may just be in the US coverage, but I hate that it has become so dispersed across so many channels. And that the emphasis seems to be on personalities, not sports and statistics. It has become more like reality TV than sports. I can barely even find a statistic to see what record they're going for, or even the notion of standings. No problem knowing their life stories, though. I'm as much a sucker for the personal touch as anyone, but it seems to have tipped way too far to the side of that, to the complete exclusion of any real sports-style approach. Is it just me, or just the US coverage?

i HATE that we didn't get any TENNIS!!!!! AAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!

THE SCHedule's gonna be SWAMPED tomorrow

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Croatia shock world No2 Spain in the men’s basketball!

Spain were favorites to take the silver medal behind the mighty USA team and they will still progress to the next round but this is a definite setback. The game was a thriller too - Spain had a healthy lead at half-time but found themselves four points down with 16 seconds to play. A three-pointer took them to within one but a free-throw for the Croats took the deficit to two and they held on for victory. @Twisted

did you catch the men's/ == high bar gymnastics? UK did great for bronze - behind ukraine and gold for japan. great stuff there. !!

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

i think it's just the way we have it in USA - because there are so many cable channels (same of course everywhere) that they probably have contracts with the IOC and RIO - to have preferences . like BRAVO gets tennis coverage, etc...it is nice in its own way - i suppose - but it CAN be confusing as to WHERE to find which sport!! hehe.

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
How my fellow No1e's fan, Michael Phelps has a baby if his partner is a transvestite? Does anyone know?

Reactions: teddytennisfan

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
did you catch the men's/ == high bar gymnastics? UK did great for bronze - behind ukraine and gold for japan. great stuff there. !!
I missed it... I've missed loads to be honest, the scheduling isn't a good fit for those down under. Good to see the18 year old from Adelaide win the 100m Freestyle for Oz

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I missed it... I've missed loads to be honest, the scheduling isn't a good fit for those down under. Good to see the18 year old from Adelaide win the 100m Freestyle for Oz

oh - sorry it's not good schedule for you.

but the kid was REALLY good. being that hes not yet ''master'' at all the ''techniques" - the exact 'timing"

he even got into the water LATE -- cany you imagine? SLOW START into water...and THEN he caught up on the rest like A FISH! it was amazing...my god! and after that he wasn't even breathing hard!!

the american commentators couldn't believe it. lol.

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
How my fellow No1e's fan, Michael Phelps has a baby if his partner is a transvestite? Does anyone know?

his ''partner? " oh -- i don't know about their personal lives. didn't even know about that about phelps.

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
his ''partner? " oh -- i don't know about their personal lives. didn't even know about that about phelps.

Actually, I am not sure what the word is, but if I remember correctly, last year the news was that he was in serious relationship with a person who had a sex change operation from man to woman. Now they say Phelps's a father.

I had less difficulties understanding Mauresmo mothering. Everything is so complicated these days.

Reactions: britbox

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
So Solo has to change her gloves right before the potential match winning penalty against her, and the loser ref let's her ! The effin glove that was good enough for 120 minutes and 4 penalty shots , including one she saved ! That type of gamesmanship and the gutless refs that let it happen seriously pisses me off. Good thing the Swedish girl scored !

Reactions: britbox

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Another pathetic outing from US basketball. They aren't scoring much ( they should never be under 100 against these teams) and their defense has struggled badly the past two games.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
so is phelps the greatest Olympian in over 2'000yrs then ? 24 gold medals and some others too..

lets not forget his 8 out of 8 golds in 2008. his wiki page is mental..all the golds from Olympics/world championships and about 17 times he broke world records I think.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Did anybody watch Trampoline? I have never watched it before (at least as an Olympic sport). It is amazing how high they jump and how many somersaults they do in the air. A Canadian girl Mcleenan won. Check out the final video.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I've mainly made time to watch the swimming because of the time difference between here and there. Phelps is extraordinary, and I was happy the drug cheat Russian didn't win, although as somebody pointed out, why is she getting special treatment when Justin Gatlin is still around? Hopefully he gets the same response from the fans and the media. Maybe there's a popular tide turning against the cheats now?

Ireland have won a silver in the rowing, and that'll open the floodgates. :popcorn

Here's a really funny video of a Canadian commentator who wasn't paying attention during Phelps 200m medley race... :laydownlaughing

http://thenewdaily.com.au/sport/rio-olympics-2016/2016/08/13/phelps-lochte-video/

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
CAN HARDLY WAIT -- for the matches to start!!

ANDY, RAFA, DELPO were DEFINITELY tested seriously.but i missed about monfils and kei.

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
in a fit of REALLY egregious bad sportsmanship

USA women's soccer team goalie -- after LOSING -- calls the swedish team

a '' bunch of cowards..." -- for beating the defending champions.
==============================
rt.com
Hope Solo calls Sweden ‘a bunch of cowards’ after ousting USA from Olympic soccer tournament
USA goalkeeper Hope Solo called the Swedish women’s team “a bunch of cowards” after they unceremoniously dumped the US out of the Olympic soccer tournament in Rio de Janeiro after a penalty shootout. The US had been the defending champions.

The match finished 1-1 after extra time, which sent the game to penalties. With Sweden needing just to score one spot kick to win the match, Solo caused controversy by saying she needed to change her gloves in an apparent attempt to delay the game. Sweden’s Lisa Dahlkvist was left waiting for a few minutes, but eventually dispatched her penalty to knockout the much fancied Americans.

Read more

After the match finished, Solo was in no mood to congratulate the Swedes on their upset victory, which advanced them to the quarter-finals.

“I also think we played a bunch of cowards. The best team did not win today, I strongly, firmly believe that,” Solo said.

The goalkeeper of the US women’s national team said she was disappointed by the Swedes’ style of play.

“They didn’t want to open play. They didn’t want to pass the ball. They didn’t want to play great soccer. It was a combative game, a physical game... And they tried to counter with longballs,” she complained.

Sweden now move through to the semi-finals, as the US women’s national team failed in their bid to win their fourth successive Olympic gold.

“I don’t think they’re going to make it far in the tournament. I think it was very cowardly. But they won, they moving on and we’re going home,” Solo concluded.

The online community has slammed the goalkeeper for her lack of sportsmanship.

The 35-year-old, who is facing domestic abuse charges at home for allegedly beating up her half-sister and nephew, has had a colorful Olympics in Brazil.

She has not endeared herself to the Brazilian people by publishing a series of photos on Twitter mocking the country’s battle with the Zika virus. Brazilian fans taunted her with chants of “Zika” throughout the tournament.

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
RT QUESTION MORE
live

HomeSport
REVEALED: Ethiopian 'whale' swimmer is son of swimming federation boss
Published time: 12 Aug, 2016 20:01Edited time: 12 Aug, 2016 20:01
57ae29edc46188232a8b4580.jpg

Robel Kiros Habte of Ethiopia © Dominic Ebenbichler / Reuters
Olympic swimmer Robel Kiros Habte gained internet fame for his portly build and agonizingly slow qualifying time.
Habte finished dead last from 59 swimmers in the men’s 100m freestyle qualifying, and a huge 17 seconds behind the winner in his three-man swim sprint, posting a time of 64.95 seconds.

The 24-year-old college student’s performance has split opinion online, with some affectionately dubbing him “The Whale” due to his generously rounded stomach in a pool of chiseled abs, and others insisting he should be in better shape as an Olympic athlete so as not to “embarrass” his nation.

Now the internet storm is likely to be cranked up a few notches, with news surfacing that Habte is the son of Ethiopia Swimming Federation boss Kiros Habte.

Tipping the scales at 82kgs, Robel blamed his portly form on a car accident which sidelined him for two months and claimed his inability to train forced him to balloon in weight to 120kg.

He also said his preparations had been hindered by the lack of an Olympic-size swimming pool in his landlocked homeland, which is famed for its long-distance runners.

However, some of his compatriots believe that Robel is a symbol of corruption in the Ethiopian sports system.

“Sad that we have so many Robels in the system and it’s about time to realize that is why people are so angry and frustrated,” Seble T said on Facebook.

Some tweeted condemning Robel for embarrassing Ethiopia and expressed frustration at him being chosen as the country’s flag bearer despite there being more distinguished athletes in the team.

Among them is Almaz Ayana, whom Ethiopians took to Twitter to congratulate after the long-distance runner broke the world record in the women’s 10,000m event.

Some users believed that she had “exonerated” them following Robel’s antics.

In response to reporters’ questions, the elder Habte defended his son, saying: “We didn’t want results. We just wanted to participate. That’s all.”

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^ Little bit of nepotism I think :)

I remember a swimmer from a couple of Olympics ago who finished miles behind everyone else and became a minor celebrity. Can't remember his name though.